Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:06 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Wrong. We were talking about the one who punched a student 2 - 3 times, at least one of which were in the face. On administrative leave with full pay. The white SRO was fired.
This thread is about the South Carolina incident.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:07 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Both black & white students walked out of school Friday in support of the police officer.

Students walk out to support fired S.C. deputy

Some students say they loved him. The high school football team plans to show support for him too.

Spring Valley High students stage walkout in support of fired deputy | The State

I posted the 2nd link in case someone points out that the first video shows a white girl who supports him, but many black students are rallying around the deputy.

He has counseled students, coached them and now he doesn't have a job. He never should have been called to the classroom in the first place. Although I do not condone his rough behavior, I believe much of this is political. Just my opinion.
So, if people protest something they are right. I'll let BLM know that.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:19 PM

19,823 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This thread is about the South Carolina incident.
No kidding.

I asked why one case has blown up in the media and on this forum when a very similar case is unknown to most.

In OK a male SRO punches a student in the face and is enjoying full paid administrative leave? Why was one officer fired yet the one who punches a teen more than once retained his job? It is a fair question that no one seems to have the balls to answer.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Actually, 25 years ago (that would have been 1990), very few schools paddled kids.
There are still states where paddling is legal in 2015.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ment-in-school

Quote:
While 31 states have now banned corporal punishment, these states still allow it: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. In many places, parental permission is required — and often given. It is more prevalent in Texas; least prevalent in Wyoming. The last state to abolish it was New Mexico, in 2011.
Quote:
Some students are hit for severe infractions of school rules, and others for minor ones, like being tardy.

How many kids get hit? According to an analysis of federal data from 2009-2010, the Children’s Defense Fund reported in 2014 that 838 children were hit on average each day in public school, based on a 180-day school year, which would be 150,840 instances of corporal punishment a year — less than just a few years earlier but still a rather stunning number. African-American students and students with disabilities are disproportionately subject to corporal punishment in school, data shows.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
So, if people protest something they are right. I'll let BLM know that.
I am not saying that at all. Don't put words in my virtual mouth. However, if both Black and White students, even a couple that were in the classroom where the incident took place, are showing support for the deputy, then there might be 2 sides to the story. We always hear one side of every story and then automatically jump to a conclusion. I stated that I do not condone violence or the officer's behavior that was shown in the video. However, since the story first broke, everything we've heard about this man has been negative.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:45 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There are still states where paddling is legal in 2015.
I mentioned in another thread that in Birmingham, Alabama an officer can use pepper spray on a student. So, if this happens and someone puts a video on youtube, should the officer be fired? I think it's horrible and no officer should put his hands on any student unless he or she is endangering the lives of others.

However, my point in defending Deputy Field's job (not what he did) is that training and procedures need to be changed. Even the teacher and the administrator said they didn't think he used excessive force, so something is wrong with the way that school handles disruptive students. He shouldn't have been called in the first place. If both the teacher and the administrator could not get her to leave, what did they expect an SRO to do? Beam her out of the classroom?

I never wrote in any post that throwing a student across a room is acceptable behavior for anyone.

I'm sure this has been posted before but..

A teacher and an administrator in the classroom supported Fields said he acted appropriately. "[They said] that he didn’t use excessive force. That he did what was necessary. That came from both of them who were present when this happened.”

"What he should not have done was throw the student," the sheriff said. "When he threw her across the room, he lost control of her. That's not acceptable."

[URL="Sheriff fires Spring Valley SRO who slammed and dragged female student"]Sheriff fires Spring Valley SRO who slammed and dragged female student[/URL]

Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I keep seeing this incident on the news. You can predict how these things go now. A student is disruptive, refuses to leave, the school resource office physically removes her, SJWs go crazy, SRO is fired for doing his job, real people affected by the decisions (the students) are like - WTF? In a month the media will move on, he will still be fired, and the student will be back to disrupting class again, this time without fear of repercussions.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:29 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I keep seeing this incident on the news. You can predict how these things go now. A student is disruptive, refuses to leave, the school resource office physically removes her, SJWs go crazy, SRO is fired for doing his job, real people affected by the decisions (the students) are like - WTF? In a month the media will move on, he will still be fired, and the student will be back to disrupting class again, this time without fear of repercussions.

Removes her?doing his job using excessive force? His life was not in danger, the student had no weapon.

Ben Fields should not have been called in the classroom in the first place. Since he was, and the student refused to get up from her seat, it's okay that he slams her around the room, throwing her like a damn rag doll? This guy can bench press 600 lbs, he's all muscle, he looks about 3 times her size.

Her arm was broken, he could have broke her damn neck.

I just don't understand some who might be parents and think this is okay for being defiant. SMH

Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I was one of the suckers. Dammit! I bought the orphan story hook, line, and sinker. That said, it was still an overreaction by the SRO. I wonder what was going on in her home that she was placed in foster care despite having living relatives?
It could very well have been HER and not her mother/grandmother. Kids can be removed if they are uncontrollable.

And the mass media wonders why thinking people don't trust them anymore... This case has fully proven the old saw "believe none of what you hear (read) and only half of what you see".

Old 11-01-2015, 06:39 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Removes her?doing his job using excessive force? His life was not in danger, the student had no weapon.

Ben Fields should not have been called in the classroom in the first place. Since he was, and the student refused to get up from her seat, it's okay that he slams her around the room, throwing her like a damn rag doll? This guy can bench press 600 lbs, he's all muscle, he looks about 3 times her size.

Her arm was broken, he could have broke her damn neck.

I just don't understand some who might be parents and think this is okay for being defiant. SMH
Why does it matter that she had no weapon? She was depriving everyone of an education and refused to leave. At thst point, she had to be physically removed and expelled. There is no other way to handle the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events