Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:01 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times

Advertisements

As Owen Labrie Faces Sentencing, Court Records Reveal New Details of Prep School Sex Assault Case - ABC News

I can guess part of it...she was probably a quiet girl, he pursued her, she fell for the attention. Where does the fault lie? I don't know. I could probably say the same thing happened to me, I was a quiet 17 year old girl and a popular guy at school gave me attention. I call my young self foolish and stupid now. Life is confusing for teenagers.

We will never know the entire truth. All I can say is parents better have huge discussions with their teenage sons and daughters. Foolish things they do can cost them their entire life.

I used to tell my sons "you are going to make mistakes growing up, just make them small enough so you can fix them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
As Owen Labrie Faces Sentencing, Court Records Reveal New Details of Prep School Sex Assault Case - ABC News

I can guess part of it...she was probably a quiet girl, he pursued her, she fell for the attention. Where does the fault lie? I don't know. I could probably say the same thing happened to me, I was a quiet 17 year old girl and a popular guy at school gave me attention. I call my young self foolish and stupid now. Life is confusing for teenagers.

We will never know the entire truth. All I can say is parents better have huge discussions with their teenage sons and daughters. Foolish things they do can cost them their entire life.

I used to tell my sons "you are going to make mistakes growing up, just make them small enough so you can fix them".
When I raised mine, I told them " if you like a girl enough to have sex with her, you damn well better like her enough to take her out in public and protect her ( and yourself )from unintended pregnancy."

This kid sounds like a toad. Not a rapist. Just a toad.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

16 will get you 20 is what some were told when I was growing up.

I think this is more than just falling for attention, he appears to be a predator with the 'senior salute'.

Quote:

CONCORD, N.H., Oct 29 (Reuters) - A New Hampshire judge on Thursday sentenced
a former student at an elite prep school to serve one year in prison for luring
an underage classmate into a sexual encounter.

Owen Labrie, 20, was convicted in August at the end of a high-profile trial
that cast a harsh light on the culture of the elite St. Paul's School and its
tradition of a "senior salute," in which final-year students invited
underclassmen for sexual encounters.

Labrie could be seen crossing himself in a gesture of prayer as he waited for
Merrimack County Superior Court Judge Larry Smukler to issue his sentence. He
was also ordered to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
Year in jail for former U.S. prep school student in sex assault trial

Not hard to figure out, he's 20, his victim a minor and seems he got what he deserved.

I worry more for the victim than the rapist.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:14 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post

Not hard to figure out, he's 20, his victim a minor and seems he got what he deserved.

I worry more for the victim than the rapist.
He was 20 and still in high school? I would think someone who is being kept back like that would be kicked out of a private school for underperformance.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
He was 20 and still in high school? I would think someone who is being kept back like that would be kicked out of a private school for underperformance.
No, this story happened last year.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:21 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Kid was an 18 yr old senior (full scholarship, poor kid in an elite prep school). Victim was 15/16 and came from a privileged background. Kid did not have intercourse with the girl. Seems it was heavy kissing/fondling.

Owen was not convicted of rape but some type of "using a computer to solicit underage sex" crime. He is labeled a sex offender for life and lost his full scholarship to Harvard.

Punishment seems just (1 yr in county jail) but I strongly suspect the rich victim's parents took this prosecution to the next level. Sex offender for life.......not in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
He's 20 now, It happened when he was 18. Thing take time to get to/thru court.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
This to me is a disgrace and robbery of the boys future. The girl admitted to have agree to have sex and only when the guilt of what she did got the best of her she accused him of rape.

This boy got now a life sentence for a girl who admitted in writing to meet him as she wrote in French after at first denying to meet him as she knew he had a lot of girls falling for him. So she wasn't an innocent victim.

I'm from Europe and many 18 year olds have girl friends that at 15 or 16 year old and behave like 18 and for sure they know what they are doing.

I really feel from following the case that the guy was wrong but the girl was just as wrong and in cases like this there shouldn't be a sex offender for life result.

Usually I feel for the victim as rape is never ok and people should have their wieners removed (just as a way of speaking) as rape is such a violent crime and in some cases woman will act to be willing to get it over a.s.a.p. and being afraid of getting hurt even more or getting killed, but this one knew what it meant to meet him in private and she turned him down clearly and than she agreed and didn't say she was raped until after the morning after pile and after it probably hit her that the school may tell her parents.

This girl should get punished as well. He is getting 1 year prison and sex offender for life! What a miss justice!

Btw the jurors didn't find him guilty on the rape charge so he became a sex offender for the email exchange which is actually translated by other students as no where it seems the words were clear on what was meant and who can say if the other guys weren't jealous of the popular Owen. I feel the popular guy lost the case on the other charge due to his popularity.

If the other guys were emailing back and forward about having sex with girls than they committed crimes under law too and should all be a sex offender as they were also part of cyber sex language with minors!

Last edited by bentlebee; 10-31-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-31-2015, 08:44 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Kid was an 18 yr old senior (full scholarship, poor kid in an elite prep school). Victim was 15/16 and came from a privileged background. Kid did not have intercourse with the girl. Seems it was heavy kissing/fondling.

Owen was not convicted of rape but some type of "using a computer to solicit underage sex" crime. He is labeled a sex offender for life and lost his full scholarship to Harvard.

Punishment seems just (1 yr in county jail) but I strongly suspect the rich victim's parents took this prosecution to the next level. Sex offender for life.......not in my opinion.

I doubt the parents had anything to do with prosecution to the next level. The laws in NH are clear and this guy wasn't convicted of rape, but luring thru the internet, I'll see if I can find the article.

but this is the law in NH

Statutory Rape
  • In New Hampshire the age of sexual consent is 16 years old.
  • Statutory rape is when a person of any age engages in sexual conduct with a person under the age of 16. It is a crime, even if both parties wanted it to happen.
  • Some teens feel this law is unfair, but the goal of the law is to keep teens safe and prevent them from making decisions they will later regret.
New Hampshire Sexual Abuse Laws | Granite State Children's Alliance, New Hampshire's Network of Child Advocacy Centers

It appears the girl was 15 when this happened but he wasn't convicted of rape.

Quote:

In August, in a split verdict, a jury acquitted Labrie, now 20, of raping the
girl in a secluded room on the school’s campus in May 2014. But the panel
convicted Labrie of having sex with the girl, who was below the age of consent,
a conviction for which he faced up to four years in prison. The jury also found
Labrie guilty of using computer services to lure a minor, a felony that carries
a maximum sentence of seven years in jail. Labrie received a suspended sentence
on that count.

Labrie’s sentence was stayed when his lawyers said they would appeal the
verdict. As a condition of his conviction, Labrie has also registered as a sex
offender. After 15 years, he can apply to have his name removed from the
registry,
though he would still be bound by its restrictions.

Labrie was also sentenced to several years of probation and must pay nearly
$8,000 in restitution to the girl’s family for her counseling bills.
Mother of girl sexually assaulted at N.H. prep school says daughter ‘wanted to do what’s right’ - The Boston Globe

Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 AM

465 posts, read 418,229 times
This is a tough case because the facts and assumption lines can blur easily. I "tried" to stick with the facts of the case and block out the assumptions, which was hard.

Was this girl ashamed by rumors so she screamed rape? Was it rape?

Rumors impact:
- As noted by the story, there were rumors around the campus about the escapade so she might have became concerned about her reputation (fact followed by assumption). While the rumors where swirling around campus, she was interacting with him on FB in loving terms (fact).
- The victim's mother was attending her sisters graduation soon (fact). Was she worried about her mother finding out?(assumption)
- Her sister was aware of the situation and was angry (fact). Both girls dated the boy(fact). Was the sister angry about the possibly of a rape or because he was interested in her sister (assumption).
My thought: There are too many assumptions and limited facts about swirling rumors being the real issue.

As far as Rape.
- There were abrasions to her private area...is that normal for a virgin? I don't know. (fact)
- I do know that she apparently said no, 3 times. Did the prosecutor ask him about the denials? (assumption/fact?)
- Also, the defendant said there was no sex, but the abrasions and his DNA were found, which prove otherwise. Why did he lie about sex? What was he hiding? (fact)
- While on the stand, the defendant stated that he stopped because it escalated out of control and he could not do that to the girl...the prosecutor should have asked "what escalated out of control and do what?" (fact)
My thought: I don't have the court transcripts so it appears the prosecutor failed to ask the right questions. This appears to be the classic, "he said she said" case.

End result: The burden of proof for rape is not there. Though, I think he ignored her denials...her denials were probably confused him because she continued to kiss him and such...but whatever she said no to sex. Then, by the defendant's own admission something happened...I am referring to his out of control statement. In the end, I think he is guilty. The sentencing discussion was most likely right. Though I don't support the lifetime sex offender registration.

The slogan "no means no" applies here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events