Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,546 times

Advertisements

The flight data recorders have been recovered.

Until that information is analyzed all else is speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 05:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Of course, that group--as well as other militant groups--will seize upon any opportunity to claim responsibility for an occurrence such as this. They may well prove to be responsible for downing that plane, but to put credence in their claims at this point is just not a responsible position.
Nobody claimed responsibility for Malaysia 370. That would seem to have been an ideal case for some group to claim responsibility, since the jet has never been found there has been no evidence to prove otherwise.

In this case, all the remains have been located including the black boxes, the cause WILL be determined, and any false claims will easily be disproved.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
ISIS doesn't have the capability to shoot down an airline at cruising at 30K+ feet. Its either some technical fault or a bomb on board.

I did read a story that this aircraft did have a serious incident when it was landed with the nose to high causing the tail to hit first. It was repaired but that could still leave it seriously weakened.
They don't have the capability as far as we know. And there are other ways to bring a jet down besides a missile or bomb. Sabotage on the ground, for example. One story said they collected fuel samples at the last airport it refueled for analysis.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
I've read reports that the plane split in 2, so it sounds like a bomb to me, but I admit I'm not an aerospace engineer, so I'll leave that up to the experts. Since both black boxes have been recovered, it shouldn't take long to figure out what happened, although investigations can take weeks, even months.

Edit: Well, I see that someone already wrote this in a previous post (oops) so I guess there's nothing more to say except I am very sad to hear about this terrible incident. Although all lives matter, 17 children were on the plane. My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
ISIS doesn't have the capability to shoot down an airline at cruising at 30K+ feet. Its either some technical fault or a bomb on board.

I did read a story that this aircraft did have a serious incident when it was landed with the nose to high causing the tail to hit first. It was repaired but that could still leave it seriously weakened.
i beg to differ.. if they capture Surface to air missiles from our friends in baghdad or another rebel group in syria , they can be capable of carrying this out.. Commercial airplanes are pretty defenseless against missiles

Old 10-31-2015, 07:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
It's sort of strange that a little over a year ago we had Hamas trying to shoot down airliners where one of their rockets landed a few miles south of the airport and Obama made a statement banning flights to Israel. Here we have a airplane flying over an area known for militant activity in Egypt and not a word from Obama related to it. We already know that the militants have the capabilities when rockets/missiles were fired and landed in Jordan a few years ago.

Add:

Per the AP, Some airliners are doing a silent ban on flights over the area. Putin unlike Obama is waiting for a report with substance before saying anything.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/entert...42032022.html?

Last edited by Pruzhany; 10-31-2015 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 07:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
All planes crash due to "technical issues". For instance, the Malaysian jet shot down over Russia suffered the "technical issue" of the engines, wings, and controls becoming physically separated at 36,000 feet.
It was shot down over Ukraine by Russian backed separatists, not over Russia.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemns "in strongest terms" alleged attack on Russian plane

Ban Ki-moon condemns "in strongest terms" alleged attack on Russian plane - Xinhua | English.news.cn

first media to report it is China. Go figure.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:35 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
i beg to differ.. if they capture Surface to air missiles from our friends in baghdad or another rebel group in syria , they can be capable of carrying this out.. Commercial airplanes are pretty defenseless against missiles
You can't shoot down an airliner that high and fast with some simple hand held missle like a stinger. No, you need large truck mounted missiles at the least, that and a radar array. So unless you think that ISIS can somehow operate that kind of system in Sinai then they didn't shoot down that plan.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:39 PM

11,651 posts, read 12,943,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It says right there in the article that there are no survivors.
They updated the article, as they usually do when new info comes in. When I first read the link it was half a page and it said "more to come". At that time, when I made the post, they didn't know if there were survivors or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events