Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times

Advertisements

"Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you". What a novel idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
How often does this happen? As in someone in a traffic stop cooperates then gets harmed by a rogue cop? Do you think many CCW holders have their weapon in case a cop attacks them in a traffic stop?

I understand there are occasional eye catching headlines but seriously how often do you think it happens?
How often do most gun owners have to use their gun for protection? I best most never had to use it but they still own one.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
"Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you". What a novel idea...
That's common sense to me, but apparently to a good portion of the population at the moment thinks it's too much work or nonsensical or something.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-31-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Both the CCW holder and the policeman acted appropriately.

If stopped I must tell officer I am a CCW holder and armed. For officer's protection, he/she has the right/obligation to ask me to disarm.

If all is well I get weapon back. If not, I am in deep sh*t

I recently drove through a DUI checkpoint unarmed and no weapon in car (I was just going to bank and an since it is posted, I did not carry). Officer asked if I had anything to tell him. I said no. He smiled and asked again' Light went off in my head and I told him that I am a CCW holder, but no weapon on me or in car.

He smiled again and said OK to go through. In Ohio if you hold a CCW it is also tied to your license plate. Same is true in most, if not all, states.

It was a learning experience/reminder for me.
I should add, knowing several officers and training with current and ex-officers, not all officers will ask you to give up your weapon.

It is entirely at the discretion of the officer depending on the situation.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:09 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Officers conducting a traffic stop have every right to ensure their own safety by disarming the person(s) being stopped, questioned, investigated, etc. ...
Depends on the state. In mine, they can't disarm you unless you're under arrest and CCW holders (or anyone else) have no duty to inform.

That's the way it should be.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:20 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Man’s Facebook post about traffic stop goes viral | WGN-TV

This story is a few days old but still trending on news sites and facebook.

My questions are about the things the guy said the officers did. For one at the traffic stop the officer asks does he have any weapons in the car. Why would he ask that? Is that normal procedure? Because i've been stopped and i never have been asked that.

Second when the driver responds yes he has a firearm and a permit the officer asks him to hand it over? Again why? If he is lawfully allowed to have it on him what is the reason?

The article states the officer said "for your safety and mine". So when the driver surrenders his weapon what does he have to protect his safety now?

Now before anyone starts up and says "you sound like a troublemaker and most likely have a record" Nope neither. I just believe in the constitution and personal rights. If the man is lawfully owning a gun he should not have to surrender it.
I've been asked that. In fact, I think every single time I've been pulled over for speeding, (not in the last 10 years though ), I've been asked that question. It's not out of the ordinary.

If you read the rest of the story, it explains why he was disarmed....his wallet was right near his weapon.

Most people with CCW will tell the officer right up front if they have one - most of the CCW people I know, that is.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:04 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,051 times
Arizona Law

"If you are legally allowed to possess a gun, you may carry it openly in your vehicle."

You'd be suprised how many that are not legally allowed to poses are carrying.

"In addition, you may carry a concealed weapon in your vehicle as long as you disclose its presence to any law enforcement officer who detains you based on reasonable suspicion of an offense and asks you whether you are carrying a concealed weapon."

Pulled over for a traffic stop counts. This is covered in CCW class.

(Arizona Statutes § 13-3102(A).) You do not need to disclose the existence of the weapon if it is contained in a visible case, holster, scabbard, pack, or luggage; or if it is in a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk, or glove compartment. (Arizona Statutes § 13-3102(B).)

In this case it was not. It was out and near his wallet. The officer was likely gauging whether this guy is a threat or not. Most reasonable folks in AZ carry in a holster on their hip.

No property owner may prohibit you from legally carrying a firearm in your locked vehicle, or in a locked compartment on a motorcycle, as long as the firearm is not visible from outside. (Arizona Statutes § 12-781(A).) The laws pertaining to carrying a firearm in a vehicle on school grounds are similar, except that the firearm must also be unloaded. (Arizona Statutes § 12-3102(I).)

A lot of freedom fighter, eff the government types like to get into it with law enforcement over the right to carry. I think it is dumb, it really doesn't serve any purpose. For instance, there is this guy in Wisc. who likes to sling an AR or AK type weapon in a sling on his back and walk around. Then when cops get calls of course he goes and talks to the guy and he's really combative and snippy. "No you can't have my name, no you can't have my I'd, I'm protecting my rights, am I being detained? I can carry this according to statute blah blah blah. I know my rights." just being idiots, same crap over and over. And the only reason people are doing this these days is because of you tube and to see if they can capture some injustice to people who like to walk around with rifles strapped to their backs. Same with the cop watchers and the guys who follow around meter enforcement. This crap never really happened in the 80s or 90s, the only thing that changed in the equation was social media, and a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands. It's not protecting or exercising the second amendment its a bait game, they want something to happen.

The interesting thing is a man walking around nonchalantly with a rifle began open firing in Colorado Springs today and killed 3 people before the police filled him with 20 rounds and trip to hell.

I don't like Bill Maher but he had a good point the other day about mass shooters having one common thread they all had troubles in the ladies/relationship department and were obsessed with guns and "protecting" the second amendment.

Also the shooting of the park ranger of mt. Rainier started just like this. Former marine exercising his right decided to get mad and shoot a park ranger for no real reason. Opportunity, I suppose.

Suspect’s downward spiral ended with killing at Rainier | The Seattle Times

How can police assume every person with a gun is just exercising their right? I'd rather be safe than sorry cause the one time you don't you may just pull over a Ben Barnes or a John Allen.

Shootout Between Oregon State Trooper and Army Veteran Turns Deadly - ABC News

Old 11-01-2015, 12:18 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I find this to be true in about 50% of my interactions with law enforcement.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Both the CCW holder and the policeman acted appropriately.

If stopped I must tell officer I am a CCW holder and armed. For officer's protection, he/she has the right/obligation to ask me to disarm.

If all is well I get weapon back. If not, I am in deep sh*t

I recently drove through a DUI checkpoint unarmed and no weapon in car (I was just going to bank and an since it is posted, I did not carry). Officer asked if I had anything to tell him. I said no. He smiled and asked again' Light went off in my head and I told him that I am a CCW holder, but no weapon on me or in car.

He smiled again and said OK to go through. In Ohio if you hold a CCW it is also tied to your license plate. Same is true in most, if not all, states.

It was a learning experience/reminder for me.
I drive around those checkpoints. The less contact I have with law enforcement, the better my life will be.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:16 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Most people with CCW will tell the officer right up front if they have one - most of the CCW people I know, that is.
When I lived in MA I had carry permit. At first, on the relatively rare occasions that I was stopped, I would have my DL and reg in hand and my hands on the wheel when the cop got to the window, and would politely inform him that I was armed. After some bad/retarded reactions, I stopped doing that. In one of those events the cop was a real dope, he took my gun and when he was ready to leave he gave back the pistol and mag separate and ordered me to hold the gun out the window and the mag in my other hand up on the back of the seat, then he went back to his car and drove off...funny thing was that he never jacked the round out of the chamber, I chalked it up to his being really stupid.

The last straw, was when a cop pulled his gun on me and pointed it at my head, then demanded I give him my weapon. I handed over a rather expensive, customized revolver, which he promptly fumbled and dropped on the pavement! There was a not insignificant amount of damage to the finish and the sights.

There are a lot of stupid, stupid cops out there, that's just two of several of my dealings with dumb cops. There are a lot of stupid cops out there, not all of them, but a lot...too many as far as I'm concerned. I spent a lot of time working with cops of all types and I could tell some real horror stories about some of them. There are lots of bad apples in the barrel, in spite of certain posters' attemps to paint cops as all being beyond reproach and capable of doing no wrong.

They changed the law here in ME and dropped the requirement for a 'license' to carry concealed, but if one does not have a 'license' the law requires informing the cop on a traffic stop. I'm not real happy about that. Concealed 'license' holders do not have the same requirement...I don't know if it shows up when they run a DL check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events