Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:08 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times

Advertisements

Man’s Facebook post about traffic stop goes viral | WGN-TV

This story is a few days old but still trending on news sites and facebook.

My questions are about the things the guy said the officers did. For one at the traffic stop the officer asks does he have any weapons in the car. Why would he ask that? Is that normal procedure? Because i've been stopped and i never have been asked that.

Second when the driver responds yes he has a firearm and a permit the officer asks him to hand it over? Again why? If he is lawfully allowed to have it on him what is the reason?

The article states the officer said "for your safety and mine". So when the driver surrenders his weapon what does he have to protect his safety now?

Now before anyone starts up and says "you sound like a troublemaker and most likely have a record" Nope neither. I just believe in the constitution and personal rights. If the man is lawfully owning a gun he should not have to surrender it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 711,715 times
If you lawfully own a gun, can you take it on a plane? The cop didn't confiscate his gun, he gave it back to him after the stop was over. Where is the problem?

Old 10-31-2015, 07:29 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,319 times
Officers conducting a traffic stop have every right to ensure their own safety by disarming the person(s) being stopped, questioned, investigated, etc. ...

Old 10-31-2015, 07:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
What that person said happened is just that, what he said. It isn't fact, not even close.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
If you lawfully own a gun, can you take it on a plane? The cop didn't confiscate his gun, he gave it back to him after the stop was over. Where is the problem?
What does a plane have to do with a car? You are allowed to have a gun in your car in most places that i know of.

The question is about his right to not to hand over his gun at all. His gun is for his protection every bit the same as the officers gun is to protect him.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
I don't quite see the logic of the action. When he handed the gun back, the guy could have shot him.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Both the CCW holder and the policeman acted appropriately.

If stopped I must tell officer I am a CCW holder and armed. For officer's protection, he/she has the right/obligation to ask me to disarm.

If all is well I get weapon back. If not, I am in deep sh*t

I recently drove through a DUI checkpoint unarmed and no weapon in car (I was just going to bank and an since it is posted, I did not carry). Officer asked if I had anything to tell him. I said no. He smiled and asked again' Light went off in my head and I told him that I am a CCW holder, but no weapon on me or in car.

He smiled again and said OK to go through. In Ohio if you hold a CCW it is also tied to your license plate. Same is true in most, if not all, states.

It was a learning experience/reminder for me.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,166 times
Yeah, I think just about every conceal carry state has a law requiring a permit holder to inform an officer when approached in an official encounter, if he or she is carrying. If you're not carrying, it's at least a matter of courtesy, and I would tell the officer that I'm a CCW holder, but not armed at the moment.

It should be noted, however, that this law only applies to CCW holders. A citizen without a CCW license is not obligated to answer the question of whether they have a firearm in the car - although it's not a bad idea to do so, because if you don't, things will become tense and probably escalate into something that does not end well for you. It's not like the cop's just going to say, "Oh, hey, that's cool. If you don't wanna talk about it, I totally understand, dude."

Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Both the CCW holder and the policeman acted appropriately.

If stopped I must tell officer I am a CCW holder and armed. For officer's protection, he/she has the right/obligation to ask me to disarm.

If all is well I get weapon back. If not, I am in deep sh*t

I recently drove through a DUI checkpoint unarmed and no weapon in car (I was just going to bank and an since it is posted, I did not carry). Officer asked if I had anything to tell him. I said no. He smiled and asked again' Light went off in my head and I told him that I am a CCW holder, but no weapon on me or in car.

He smiled again and said OK to go through. In Ohio if you hold a CCW it is also tied to your license plate. Same is true in most, if not all, states.

It was a learning experience/reminder for me.
Ok i get that. But again the person who has a gun also has it for his protection. So he should give up his protection so the cop feels protected? So only a cops protection matters?

I get that officers are concerned at traffic stops because a lot of stops lead to gun fights or cops getting assaulted. The same concern applies to people being pulled over. We don't know if the cop is legit or crooked or impersonating a cop.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
The same concern applies to people being pulled over. We don't know if the cop is legit or crooked or impersonating a cop.
How often does this happen? As in someone in a traffic stop cooperates then gets harmed by a rogue cop? Do you think many CCW holders have their weapon in case a cop attacks them in a traffic stop?

I understand there are occasional eye catching headlines but seriously how often do you think it happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events