Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering why an event showing up for two days in international news would not be deemed noteworthy enough to be posted here in Current Events?

Police say gunman kills 3 in downtown Colorado Springs

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-01-2015 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mods if indeed there is a thread about this; yet another mass shooting in America, please feel free to delete or merge at your discretion.

I'm wondering why an event showing up for two days in international news would not be deemed noteworthy enough to be posted here in Current Events?

It was the headline news on GMA this morning. Didn't it just happen yesterday on Halloween?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mods if indeed there is a thread about this; yet another mass shooting in America, please feel free to delete or merge at your discretion.

In Chicago that is just a typical day!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It was the headline news on GMA this morning. Didn't it just happen yesterday on Halloween?
You're correct; 8:40 AM Saturday morning. It was on international news outlets less than an hour later.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I got notifications on my phone about it yesterday morning shortly after it happened from several US and international news organizations.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I just happened...friends that live 1/2 block from where it started
on Prospect...still don't know.
And I'm not telling them...they don't watch the news...so be it.
Others right there had no idea why the streets were blocked...they wouldn't
have known 12 hrs later if I hadn't brought it up!

That whole area is my hood! I'm sick, heart sick...my God...sitting on their porch!
On a beautiful morning! Riding a bike on a sleepy, narrow street!

It's north of downtown...but not by much.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I think the problem is they are starting to feel too routine to even be that newsworthy anymore. The next shooter will have to take out 50 people to get attention.

I was reading two stories this morning about people who were accidentally shot yesterday when a CCW dropped her gun (in both stories it was women), in one case it was a supermarket, in the other, the women was fumbling for paperwork in her purse at her doctor's office, gun fell out and shot another patient in the hip...

I was going to post them, than in another breath, I realized they are just two more stories to so many identical stories posted here, what is even the point? It would get the same arguments on both sides and nothing would change, no minds would be changed...so I think this is the same, we're all just getting cynical about what is actually news and what's just another day in Paradise.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just happened...friends that live 1/2 block from where it started
on Prospect...still don't know.
And I'm not telling them...they don't watch the news...so be it.
Others right there had no idea why the streets were blocked...they wouldn't
have known 12 hrs later if I hadn't brought it up!

That whole area is my hood! I'm sick, heart sick...my God...sitting on their porch!
On a beautiful morning! Riding a bike on a sleepy, narrow street!

It's north of downtown...but not by much.
She didn't hear all the gunshots? It is so odd how with some shootings like this the press is out there with constant updates and details and some have virtually no details.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think the problem is they are starting to feel too routine to even be that newsworthy anymore. The next shooter will have to take out 50 people to get attention.
See this is a misguided view. Reality is pre 24 hour news media these things happened at the same rate (mass shootings, less for overall homicide) but they did not warrant the excessive media attention they do today. Homicide as a whole is way down, tho you would not know that by watching the media.

Mass shootings are pretty much flat, they just get a whole lot more attention, tho by the FBI standards I dont think this one meets the category of mass shooting.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I was reading two stories this morning about people who were accidentally shot yesterday when a CCW dropped her gun (in both stories it was women), in one case it was a supermarket, in the other, the women was fumbling for paperwork in her purse at her doctor's office, gun fell out and shot another patient in the hip...

I was going to post them, than in another breath, I realized they are just two more stories to so many identical stories posted here, what is even the point? It would get the same arguments on both sides and nothing would change, no minds would be changed...so I think this is the same, we're all just getting cynical about what is actually news and what's just another day in Paradise.
The doctor's office story was posted when it happened a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events