Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 01:16 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times

Advertisements

Stupidest practice ever.

If the goal is to keep a steady sunrise and sunset time, it's not working well.
You'd need double the timezones you have now, and much more complicated changes in clocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
There are two reasons for doing this.

It gives people an extra hour to party on Halloween and it allows solar farms an extra hour of sunlight.

No blonde jokes please.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It happened last night for those who don't know. Most of us turned our clocks back 1 hour which means we will have more daylight in the morning but it will be getting darker earlier.

I once read somewhere that an American Indian when asked about daylight savings he said
"Only a white man would cut the end off a blanket, sew it to the other end and think he has a longer blanket".

A pretty cool thought.

Why do we do turn back the clocks? Isn't the Winter gloomy enough never mind having it be dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.

How does daylight savings help or hurt you?

I would be happy if they did away with Daylight savings time. I don't like it when it gets darker earlier in the afternoon.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:38 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,190 times
Daylight saving time throws my body off. It is easier for me to go backwards in time because I believe real time to be standard time. Obviously that statement is up for debate. I believe it is an archaic practice and I am so tired of the myth about helping farmers. The last change under Bush was pushed through by big business in bed with big government. Time to end it for good. Good to see states saying they want no more of it. I miss AZ because of this reason they don't celebrate daylight wasting time.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I would be happy if they did away with Daylight savings time. I don't like it when it gets darker earlier in the afternoon.
November is when we go OFF of daylight saving time. We are now on standard time.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:03 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Here are some answers as to why: 8 Things You May Not Know About Daylight Saving Time - History in the Headlines

Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM

54 posts, read 77,492 times
I hate having no daylight after 5 pm. It's just ridiculous to keep this time change every year.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:23 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Here in South Florida, we don't get that big a swing. The shortest day of the year the sun sets about 5:45 and during the summer it only stays light until a little after 8PM.

Getting darker earlier only means one thing to me; SEASON IS HERE!!! Yay!

For the jacka$$ that comes behind me to tell me the above times are wrong, I'm just guessing. They are an estimate.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
There are two reasons for doing this.

It gives people an extra hour to party on Halloween and it allows solar farms an extra hour of sunlight.

No blonde jokes please.
lol..the sun will rise or set regardless of what our clocks say.

An extra hour of sunlight is not created when you move your clock.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:43 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Thank you for this link. I too have heard over the years that energy savings are pretty much zero (#8) with DST, and that those supporting and pushing for DST include big retailers (#5), because we tend to shop more, go out more, use more gas, spend more money, after work with the extended daylight.

I do not like DST - I wish that those who choose to be 'early birds' did so on their own without looping me into it.

I wish I could 'let the sun wake me' once in a while, instead of seeing sunrise as I'm dashing around - trying to be the morning person that I'm just not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events