Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:29 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,901,539 times

Advertisements

I have never understood all the moaning and groaning about DST.
I always adjust my clocks at about 8 PM, then go to bed and get up at my regular time.
I don't lose any sleep in the spring, and my night isn't an hour longer in the fall.
It takes me about 10 minutes to reset every clock in the house, including my wrist watch.

In the fall, AFTER the time change, I can sit and read the newspaper while waiting for wife to get off work in the morning without having to have the dome light on. That's nice! BEFORE the time change, it is too dark to read without the dome light.

Sometime in the coming week, I might even remember to reset the vehicle clocks.

It just isn't a big deal to me. Certainly not enough of a big deal to join in all the wailing and gnashing of teeth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,388,732 times
I hate it.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:38 PM

599 posts, read 398,689 times
I believe states should be able to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round. Here in NC the weather isn't that bad most of the year and I cannot stand how depressing it gets in the winter with the trees being naked and now it's dark by 4:00!! If we had DLT year round there would be a longer farming season, less car accidents and more power saved.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:21 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,100,088 times
I would prefer to stay on Daylight Savings Time all year. I HATE the dark afternoons and evenings! So depressing to me.

Funny how nearly everyone who has posted on this thread hates the time change, but doesn't agree which direction it should stay--no wonder we stick with old traditions that are universally despised!

And I know it's called "Standard Time" but that doesn't mean it's the "real" time. We've just affixed labels to the Earth's rotation--we can call those labels anything we want.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:11 PM

3,937 posts, read 5,041,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I would prefer to stay on Daylight Savings Time all year. I HATE the dark afternoons and evenings! So depressing to me.

Funny how nearly everyone who has posted on this thread hates the time change, but doesn't agree which direction it should stay--no wonder we stick with old traditions that are universally despised!

And I know it's called "Standard Time" but that doesn't mean it's the "real" time. We've just affixed labels to the Earth's rotation--we can call those labels anything we want.
Well, there's two MAJOR factors-

What time people work, and whereabout in the country they live.

7:45 AM Sunrises are awful when you're in work by 7 or 8 AM.
4:00 PM Sunsets are awful when you're at work until 5PM.

I'd rather see offices and businesses adjust their hours then screw with the clocks across the US, sans Hawaii.

In Florida we're seeing a bill come back that would put us on DST year round. I'd find this awful if it didn't accompany a bill that pushed the start times of schools to a later hour. Children should not be out in pitch black for an hour while they wait for buses to get to school. We have the majority of the latest sunrises in the USA.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:17 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,135,273 times
So which one is the “correct” time? I always forget. And if one hour is good why not 2 or 3?

Old 11-01-2015, 11:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,489,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So which one is the “correct” time? I always forget. And if one hour is good why not 2 or 3?
I know! And if the 'early birds' like so much daylight in their off hours - maybe they could just work swing shifts and be 'delighted' (pun intended)

Old 11-01-2015, 11:58 PM

2,944 posts, read 4,966,241 times
It doesn't bother me.

I still have the same mentality I had as a child. As a child, I liked the time change because in my kidlogic it made sense:

Spring forward gives kids more time to play in the summer with it going dark closer to 8pm and it gives everyone longer days for summer vacation. The summer months are when most take vacations the most.

Fall back was for when kids are suppose to be at home and not outside playing and it gives adults the indicator that it's time to close up work and go home to their families.

I still feel like it works and I like it.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,406,689 times
No offense but really happy I don't live far north in any country right now I will be missing the daylight but had a nice day at the beach with 80F still.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 AM

247 posts, read 252,143 times
Now I have to deliver mail in the dark,**** sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events