Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:25 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
You really are trolling your own thread.

Where did I ever say that? I understand if you don't answer out of embarrassment.

To me, that's a lot of cops getting caught for committing sex crimes.

I guess I just expect more out of our officers than you do? Looks like 95% of the students feel the same way.
Using your illogic, someone who doesn't protest disagrees with the protest.

You simply cant keep your stories straight.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Students protest everything including learning.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:37 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Students protest everything including learning.
Reading these forums, they never stop protesting after graduation.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Using your illogic, someone who doesn't protest disagrees with the protest.

You simply cant keep your stories straight.

Whatever.
Yes … Applying that same twisted logic would mean that 95% of black folk apparently disagree with the BLM Movement, since actually relatively VERY few black folk are out*there on the streets in the movement ...

Old 11-02-2015, 12:49 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Then why weren't more people protesting?

The officer worked at the school, all of the protesters attend the school, but yet 95% of the school chose not to protest.

about it.
How many students protested and supported her?

Under normal circumstances no one would have protested. The number is significant.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
However, children do not have the life experience to decide right or wrong, especially in a situation such as this.
I could say the same for Adults. Of course now, she does have the "life Experience" and can decide on right or wrong in the way she reacts in future events.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Just seeing a grown man treat a teenage girl like that makes me cringe
Although I agree with you, since I was an abused child, I also think firing the deputy was extreme, especially when he had received numerous accommodations and was well liked by many of the students. One student called him "officer slam" but that might because he was an assistant coach, and people are nicknamed all the time when they play sports.

I already posted in another thread that, the day of the incident, a couple of students (Black) were interviewed who called him "a lot of fun" and "a nice guy" but they weren't included in most news broadcasts. Over and over and over we are shown the video of the officer trying to remove the student, but we never see what happened earlier. In any case, the teacher never should have called him to the classroom if the student was unarmed and not threatening anyone.

In my humble opinion, although he went too far, he should have been disciplined and put on leave (which he was) and perhaps retrained, but not fired. I think he's a scapegoat for a very bad system. Now there is a substitute teacher in that classroom, so the investigation isn't over yet. I wish he had walked out of the classroom and just said, "It's your problem. Deal with it." Then I suppose he would have been fired for not doing his job?

Old 11-02-2015, 01:09 PM

She had the life experience already. Not following the instructions of the teacher doesn't take a lot of life experience to know it is wrong.

If it took all this time for a teen to figure out that following instructions of the teacher or school officials is the right thing to do, we should be reading about what exactly, her parents were teaching her.

Like all these threads recently, the dramatics offered by anti-police people (what they are) do nothing to give the whole picture.

Some of the students at that school are probably fed up with certain other students who think no rules apply to them.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
She had the life experience already. Not following the instructions of the teacher doesn't take a lot of life experience to know it is wrong. <snip>
From what I've learned, she was in foster care for a long time, so maybe she has emotional problems. However, I agree she was old enough to know she was acting inappropriately. However, calling a cop to a classroom to remove a disruptive student because both the teacher and school administrator cannot control her is not the answer.

I also agree with those who say cops should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us, but we don't deal with the crap they see every day, especially in high crime areas. We see videos when they commit bad acts, but what about walking into a home and seeing children with their heads blown off? Most people never see horrors like that except in TV dramas.

Columbia has a very high crime rate. I only know this, because I was thinking of retiring there. Earlier this year, a police officer was shot while serving a bench warrant. Another cop, only 32 years old, was shot & killed in a Columbia mall in Sept, just a few weeks before this classroom incident. Both shootings, in which cops died, didn't get nearly the news coverage that this one school incident has produced. Being a cop in a city where there is so much violence must be very stressful, so maybe the city needs more programs to help cops deal with the pressure of the job. I am not making excuses for bad behavior, just expressing an opinion.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Yes, the calling of the police is questionable and the police will only have the information available that was told to them. Who knows what the school officials said given that they couldn't control the classroom.

In this story there isn't enough information, for all we know, the person who called for the police said she might have a weapon, we do not know, the investigation isn't over yet.

What this does bring into question is why schools dont use a service other than the police for such incidents.

Why call the police when someone else should be able to deal with the student.

Do we call out the National Guard to arrest shoplifters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events