Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,115,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
A plain and simple fact is that this is your life.
You are not watching a movie.
One day you might just wake up to the fact that you have spent the better part of your life getting high.
(Sometimes daily)
To me that would be as sad as waking up realizing that you've spent your life as an alcoholic getting loaded. (Sometimes daily)

Wake up and face reality.
Or is that just too difficult?
I may not have much money and may have spent a fair bit of my life getting high, but I got high and raced sailboats all around the world, had a go at the Olympics, surfed, windsurfed, rock climbed...

I manage to be a good father to my daughter.

I get along okay as an IT Tech/Admin. I really never cared about making a big career or such. I am happy with my small flat and car, it´s all I need and I still get out on the weekends and after work and do stuff.
I mostly quit smoking for a while but I started to smoke a bit more as I have decided to cut my drinking way back, mainly to lose a bit of weight I gained following a climbing injury. My first plant is coming along.
Just turned 50 and am still in good shape, mentally and physically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
But … I notice that you simply don't bother to address the NUMBER ONE recreational drug problem in America: nicotine, which is indeed "legal" -- and as addictive as heroin !!! -- and is sold just about everywhere casually over the counter ...
That right. And there is no such thing as nicotine drug wars, bad batches of nicotine, black market nicotine being sold to kids on street corners, etc.

It is being fought the right way: Education, using the TRUTH. Plus it isn't glamourized. The result is nicotine use continues to drop over time.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:26 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That right. And there is no such thing as nicotine drug wars, bad batches of nicotine, black market nicotine being sold to kids on street corners, etc.

It is being fought the right way: Education, using the TRUTH. Plus it isn't glamourized. The result is nicotine use continues to drop over time.
A huge part of the nicotine problem, of course is that it has NEVER been illegal, but for many decades was relentlessly aggressively -- legally -- marketed and sold to the public especially with an eye toward getting kids and young people hooked on a very addictive harmful recreational drug …

Back during WWII and the Korean War, GIs were given FREE packs of cigs ...

And BTW, Mary Jane is indeed "glamourized" in some circles and touted as essentially harmless and free of the dependency and health problems associated with many other drugs …

And, yes, there was that guy in New York City who was *busted* by the cops last year (one last time, after dozens of prior offenses) who on the street corner was selling "black market" cigs to passers by …

I've been around for a while … I vividly remember the glories of the 60s drug culture and the romantic notions of expanded consciousness and all that … and now MaryJane is on the leading edge of the Libertarian New Wave …

This isn't my first rodeo ..

Old 11-12-2015, 11:56 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
A plain and simple fact is that this is your life.
You are not watching a movie.
One day you might just wake up to the fact that you have spent the better part of your life getting high.
(Sometimes daily)
To me that would be as sad as waking up realizing that you've spent your life as an alcoholic getting loaded. (Sometimes daily)

Wake up and face reality.
Or is that just too difficult?
^^^^ Nominated for CD's first annual cliche award.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
So … Should we then "legalize" LSD, PCP, Crystal Meth, "bath salts," crack, heroin, etc., too … ???

Why not … ???
That's an excellent question. Opiates actually have very few negative side effects. Unlike alcohol, a heroin addict can use every day for decades without getting sick. All of the heroin deaths are overdoses caused by the law, not by the drug. Regulated sales would get those people into treatment instead of into a coffin. By all reports, it is an excellent pain killer. The addictive nature is a bit of a red herring, since addictive drugs are socially acceptable. Anyone who has missed a couple days of Prozac/Lexapro can testify as to their addictive nature. If you cold turkey you are going to get really sick.

Many drugs are just not a long term social problem. I think "bath salts" enjoyed a run because they were a legal alternative that you could buy at a 7/11. Psychedelics like LSD, mescaline and psilocybin are far too cerebral to make good party drugs. The party drug of choice now seems to be MDMA (Ecstasy, X) where the big danger once again appears to be unregulated sales to minors and accidental overdoses.

The really dangerous drugs are stimulants like methedrine and cocaine, which cause both mental and physical deterioration in users. We could only hope that regulated sales and open treatment options would minimize the damage that they cause. It would be hard to be worse. Every community in America has its contingent of meth zombies. Putting a tweaker in prison does give them a chance to detox, but there seems to be an endless supply of new tweakers, and once you release a tweaker the first thing they do is go looking for another hit.

Lumping all recreational drugs under one label is pretty much the definition of "knee jerk legislation." A lot of people have been saying for years that marijuana doesn't belong in that basket of laws at all. We all know dozens of people who use pot that have not turned into vegetables. It's not physically addictive. The only adverse effects seem to be on the developing brain of youth, which are the ones most at risk of unregulated black market sales.

I live in a state that has had an established distribution system for medical marijuana for several years. The first of last month (October 2015) those dispensaries were allowed to sell to the general public. The product has to be tested for safety and potency, and sale to anyone under 21 is forbidden. The response from the general public has been underwhelming. The streets have not been filled with stumbling stoners. People who used pot before legalization continue. People who didn't use pot before legalization still don't. It's not like it was a rare substance. I'm sure Ohio would be no different.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yes …

The fact of use and abuse of recreational drugs should be treated as a public health problem, IMHO … (i.e., "decriminalization") … rather than "legalization," with LSD sold over the counter in every corner gas and goods shop … (i.e., "legalization") ...
Holy crap! How many people in Minnesota use LSD? I had no idea sales were so brisk there.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I know that THC is not a poison or a toxin, but anything (even water) presents a toxicity hazard if it is present in the human body in a great enough quantity. So while I'm sure that the probability of a THC overdose is almost nil, I know that the possibility exists, even though it is admittedly remote. Thus, I'd like to know just how much somebody would have to have on board in order to OD.
The lethal dose is quite large.

Quote:
In summary, enormous doses of Delta 9 THC, All THC and concentrated marihuana extract ingested by mouth were unable to produce death or organ pathology in large mammals but did produce fatalities in smaller rodents due to profound central nervous system depression.

The non-fatal consumption of 3000 mg/kg A THC by the dog and monkey would be comparable to a 154-pound human eating approximately 46 pounds (21 kilograms) of 1%-marihuana or 10 pounds of 5% hashish at one time. In addition, 92 mg/kg THC intravenously produced no fatalities in monkeys. These doses would be comparable to a 154-pound human smoking at one time almost three pounds (1.28 kg) of 1%-marihuana or 250,000 times the usual smoked dose and over a million times the minimal effective dose assuming 50% destruction of the THC by smoking.
Acute Effects of Marijuana (Delta 9 THC) - Lethality

Old 11-12-2015, 12:42 PM

The State of Oregon has a recreational marijuana page with a lot of information.

State of Oregon: Recreational Marijuana

Old 11-12-2015, 01:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Holy crap! How many people in Minnesota use LSD? I had no idea sales were so brisk there.
Recreational (life style) drugs fall in and out of fashion … Lately, it's heroin (again) ...

Waaaay back in my grad school days, for a while I worked with a guy (fellow child of the 60s) who was a poly drug user … He used to casually tell me about his adventure last weekend -- dropped some acid, smoked up and took a couple of muscle relaxers …

These days, some of the recreational drugs of choice are various "pills" -- oxycodone, et al. …

How about we just "legalize" over the counter sales of ALL drugs, including pills now (legally) available only by prescription … ???

Old 11-12-2015, 04:05 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The lethal dose is quite large.
Large enough to make OD almost impossible.

Quote:
Although a median lethal dose has not been established in man (Brill et al., 1970)
Thanks Larry. That's what I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events