Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 07:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you want someone arrested for running some kind of tax scheme to have access to your tax return? How about a rapist having access to your address and your age and info that suggests you live alone and are handicapped? For that matter, do you want to work late with a rapist? Do you want to leave personal items in your desk if you work with a thief?
I don't think anyone I know wants that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:14 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
If you can't give any real reasons for this box to be eliminated than I'll stop asking, others seem to be able to contribute substance instead of ranting for me to lock my doors.
Hold on a minute, THIS comment of yours is what I was responding to: "It looks a bit fishy, as if it's a political move at this point to me unless you have some convincing reasons this will make a big difference" To me that sounds like you were questioning my motives for supporting 'ban the box'. It makes no sense that you would ask why I support it because I had listed those reasons at least 6 times in this thread.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:15 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Hold on a minute, THIS comment of yours is what I was responding to: "It looks a bit fishy, as if it's a political move at this point to me unless you have some convincing reasons this will make a big difference" To me that sounds like you were questioning my motives for supporting 'ban the box'. It makes no sense that you would ask why I support it because I had listed those reasons at least 6 times in this thread.
Got it!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:16 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
A lot of those cons are in gangs and it's all part of the life, in and out of prison. It's like a revolving door. Those guys won't be getting out looking for real jobs most of the time anyway. Their gang families pick them up at the door.
What a bizarre rationalization for NOT offering ex-offenders jobs.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Why don't the government take the lead and hire ex-cons? They are also managed and ran by people and just like most private businesses, the good jobs are only offered to friends and connected to those at the top echelon.

Talk is cheap Mr.Obama.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why don't the government take the lead and hire ex-cons? They are also managed and ran by people and just like most private businesses, the good jobs are only offered to friends and connected to those at the top echelon.

Talk is cheap Mr.Obama.
Oh my god, why is it that you & most other posters on here have NO CLUE what you are even talking about? Why is that? Why is it that certain people can't just take a few moments to read an article, educate themselves just a teensy bit more before they start posting?

Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You are skipping the part where either they get a job, or we support them. Again, as another poster asked, what good does it do us as a nation for us to support them rather than allowing them to rebuild their lives.

What happened to us? We used to be THE country where a guy could get a second chance, it was something we were proud of.

After Prison, A Second Chance To Be A Better Mother : NPR
I plainly wrote that when it comes down to two people that have the same qualifications and one of them had been in prison employers should be able to use that in making their decision.

As far as support, if you are talking about welfare benefits, no I don't think they or anyone else should have welfare benefits. I would end those for everyone if I could. The fact is that should be a deterrent for people. You get convicted of a crime you lose all benefits.

That does not keep someone from making a second chance with their life. That does not keep them from getting a job. Plenty of places hire ex cons. Plenty of ex cons have started their own business's as well.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I plainly wrote that when it comes down to two people that have the same qualifications and one of them had been in prison employers should be able to use that in making their decision.
And they do. For crying out loud, they are not doing away with employer choice or background checks.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:05 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
And they do. For crying out loud, they are not doing away with employer choice or background checks.
There is something going on in this forum where people simply are refusing to listen to facts. Just refusing.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
I think it should go farther than just banning a box. I think if you've been "clean" for 10 years + whatever you did should be sealed and any restrictions like voting etc should be removed. I would think being an upstanding citizen for that length of time shows that you've learned your lesson.
Now before someone suggests that pardons exist, I admit, yes they do BUT are expensive to get, takes a looooong time and depends on the crime and/or who's in office, if it's an election year etc determines if you get said pardon.
Or I guess you could do it the old fashion way and make a huge donation to the politician deciding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events