Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:01 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And nothing in this bill would prevent that. You guys, your blind hatred of anything Obama does is making you sound foolish, at least read the article/watch the video so you're not talking out of your a**.
I voted for Obama, and generally like him, so no, try again.

And no, nothing in that article indicates that employers will have full knowledge of criminal record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 08:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, I don't get the "I paid my debt to society" argument.

Yes, you paid your debt to society. No, that doesn't mean that your criminal records should be forever hidden from public view.
Getting out for non-violent crime or something petty is one thing.....harden criminal is another. Wow, amazing who Obama thinks needs federal jobs.......this makes no sense!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:05 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
I have mixed feelings about it.

It was being discussed on the radio yesterday, and they were saying something to the effect that 1 out of 3 Americans have been arrested by their mid-20s. That around 1975, about 1/4 million Americans were in state or federal prison, but today it's more like 1.5 million.

I had a nephew that was in prison for 2 years. Not sure why, never asked, but always assumed it was drugs. After he got out, one day he was telling me how unfair life was because if he was honest on job applications to be a cook, they wouldn't hire him after being in prison, and if he lied, then he would get fired if they eventually found out (and it seemed they always did). I disputed that that showed that life, in general, was unfair; that when he committed whatever the crime was that he knew what he was doing was illegal, and that he had made the choice; that if you kept your nose clean, like most people, life in that way is not unfair.

Within reason, after you've paid your debt to society by spending time in prison, you ought to be able to resume your life. And yet, there are some crimes that rightfully make you an anathema forever.

If there were a middle ground, I'd take it.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would one seriously mark the box? How dumb would that be in the first place. Are you saying people in prison are honest hard working people, just looking for a break?
Have you ever known someone in prison and been around them when they get out?

Why are you willing to give them FEDERAL jobs? You act like this is working at a fast food place, why not hire them for fast food worker, start at the bottom like the rest of us!

So now, on good behavior they get a federal job and our college youth get to wash dishes or apply at McDonalds?
You are making all kinds of assumptions here. You know there are people in prison with degrees, who are accountants, engineers, managers, all sorts of people? You do realize everyone in prison isn't a ghetto thug, right? You know this bill is not going to get unqualified people hired into any job, right? They still have to meet the job qualifications, for goodness sakes.

I think my expectations may be too high on this board.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
I think he's doing away with "the box" to further his job prospects after he leaves office. You know, because noone will want to hire a known thief.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
There is still going to be a background check, don't be dense. It will just allow the person to get into an interview and make his case versus having his application tossed in the trash the second he walks out the door.

Are people actually this?

I think you are the one who is dense and gullible if you think what you stated ....

Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Wow, the hate is strong this morning. LOL

I heard a rumor that Obama puts his pants on one leg at a time... HOW DARE HE!!!!! ARRGHH!!!! HE'S THE WORST PRESIDENT EVAR!!!!!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I think he's doing away with "the box" to further his job prospects after he leaves office. You know, because noone will want to hire a known thief.

Oh yes you hit the nail on the head kudos to you .

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You are making all kinds of assumptions here. You know there are people in prison with degrees, who are accountants, engineers, managers, all sorts of people? You do realize everyone in prison isn't a ghetto thug, right? You know this bill is not going to get unqualified people hired into any job, right? They still have to meet the job qualifications, for goodness sakes.

Yeah keep living in that rose colored glasses world Alice ....

Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I voted for Obama, and generally like him, so no, try again.

And no, nothing in that article indicates that employers will have full knowledge of criminal record.
One only needs to go on the muni & circuit court websites & plug in names & voila! See how easy it is to find open records?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I have mixed feelings about it.

It was being discussed on the radio yesterday, and they were saying something to the effect that 1 out of 3 Americans have been arrested by their mid-20s. That around 1975, about 1/4 million Americans were in state or federal prison, but today it's more like 1.5 million.

I had a nephew that was in prison for 2 years. Not sure why, never asked, but always assumed it was drugs. After he got out, one day he was telling me how unfair life was because if he was honest on job applications to be a cook, they wouldn't hire him after being in prison, and if he lied, then he would get fired if they eventually found out (and it seemed they always did). I disputed that that showed that life, in general, was unfair; that when he committed whatever the crime was that he knew what he was doing was illegal, and that he had made the choice; that if you kept your nose clean, like most people, life in that way is not unfair.

Within reason, after you've paid your debt to society by spending time in prison, you ought to be able to resume your life. And yet, there are some crimes that rightfully make you an anathema forever.

If there were a middle ground, I'd take it.
So you say people should be able to resume their life & then you basically shrug about your nephew & say oh well, you did something bad? Make up your mind.
Quote:

You got that right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think you are the one who is dense and gullible if you think what you stated ....
Do you not know how to do a simple open records search on your muni or circuit court website? Really? It's not hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events