Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 06:46 PM

42,832 posts, read 26,218,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No, it hasn't been. There's been a lot of hand waving and a lot of dismissal toward legitimate issues, and a lot of basically "feel good" arguments, but no logical, reasonable, justification of why we should waste time and money down a closed path. What value does it bring to counteract the cost? What is the benefit when the answer is still can't be hired? The problem is you're trying to pretend that somehow the end answer will change. It won't. The information is too sensitive and the risk too great.
The cost of not being able to throw out all applicants who admit to a felony would be very small if anything at all. 15 or 20 years ago you couldn't obtain a criminal history unless the job had to do with public safety or a vulnerable population, i.e. children, sick people, the elderly. But somehow HR departments were able to staff positions without knowing who had a conviction because they knew how to read an application; you look for lapses of employment, no solid address history and you check references. The world didn't fall, the economy didn't collapse. And by the way 13 states already have ban the box laws Ban-the-Box Movement Goes Viral and if was the burden to employers that you are making it out to be, why don't we hear about it? Only place I've ever heard this argument is in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
And that's a reason to hire "proven" criminals?
Not what I said. I said that it is delusional to think that by doing a background check you have protected yourself from embezzlement.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm noticing that those who approve aren't employers. Nothing to lose I guess.
Did you run a background check on everyone who has disagreed with you in this threadl? What did you find out about me, I'd love to know

Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 PM

6,781 posts, read 2,893,202 times
That anyone should be penalized over and over again FOR LIFE for something they may have done even decades before is a sad indictment on our pathetic and paranoid society. I might even go so far as to say that I would favor at least some of the 'ex-cons' over the unforgiving, pathetic, paranoid and sanctimonious bunch who've so far participated in this particular thread . . .

Old 11-05-2015, 07:00 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,797,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not what I said. I said that it is delusional to think that by doing a background check you have protected yourself from embezzlement.

What would you do?
If you were an employer, would you do background checks?

You're making a good argument against
background checks for firearm purchases.
Every criminal is a "first time felon" once.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,797,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
That anyone should be penalized over and over again FOR LIFE for something they may have done even decades before is a sad indictment on our pathetic and paranoid society. I might even go so far as to say that I would favor at least some of the 'ex-cons' over the unforgiving, pathetic, paranoid and sanctimonious bunch who've so far participated in this particular thread . . .

Cool!
You hire em.

(Tell me I'm wrong to suggest that you're not an employer.)

Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM

6,781 posts, read 2,893,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Cool!
You hire em.

(Tell me I'm wrong to suggest that you're not an employer.)
I refer you to post 242, page 25 by jimj who makes a very valid point. He/she says:

Prior to the internet and all this so called "need for security" people must have been violated in their own homes and at work on a daily basis in every town and city in this nation.

Prior to this hysteria (in the last 10-15 years or so) over convicted criminals we were under extreme danger from everyone we were ever around. Who knew???

People were dropping like flies back in the 90's and before, robbed,beaten,raped and murdered en masse...

I hate Big Brother. Can't you tell? Big Brother has done nothing more than to promote paranoia and mistrust toward others in society and this cannot be a good thing no matter how one attempts to justify it.

And, you are correct. I am not an employer.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you run a background check on everyone who has disagreed with you in this threadl? What did you find out about me, I'd love to know
You've posted no reference from an employers perspective. Only emotional arguments. I'd love to know who does yours for free?
I ask my pre employees if they do drugs as well and let them know their lie will cost me 120 dollars and I'd rather not waste it. I can't hire people who do drugs either, my insurance insures me of this.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,033,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
On the other hand, Obama has no right or business from telling private employers what they can do or not do.
So private business should be able to discriminate against handicapped? Women? Gays? They already tell private employers what they can and can't do.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
What would you do? If you were an employer, would you do background checks? You're making a good argument against background checks for firearm purchases. Every criminal is a "first time felon" once.
Regarding background checks for firearms, I think there should be some time after a felony conviction for a non-violent crime, maybe 5 years with no police contact when a person can submit an application to have a review for reinstatement of gun rights. I knew a 65 year old man who couldn't buy a gun because he stole a car when he was 18, he ended up being a very wealthy contractor and never broke another law but still couldn't own a gun - IMO that is nuts.

Whether or not I did a criminal records check would depend on the job I was hiring for. If I'm hiring a landscape crew, or staff for a commercial kitchen or construction job site, no - I can't think of any reason to worry about their record. If I'm going to hire someone who was going to be handling cash I might do a background check but I would be more interested in a credit check, that's a greater predictor of whether an employee will steal than a criminal history check. If they were going to be handling large sums of money I would have them bonded and leave it up the bonding company to decide if they were bondable. If I was hiring day care providers, nurses, armed guards, teachers, I would definitely do a background check and check references very carefully. If I was hiring a truck driver I would base my decision on their DMV record and references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events