Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Again boundaries, if you set yourself up to always be available than you create the problem.

If an employer thinks you're tethered to them 24/7 than you find another employer.
This is easier said than done once it has become the norm within an industry, as it has in software in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 01:44 PM

478 posts, read 809,276 times
I really don't understand why people live so far out in the suburbs. Many seem caught up with the desire for a lot of physical space that (at least to me) seems unnecessary. For example-does every child need a separate bedroom? Kids shared bedrooms for many many years in the past. Do we really need a grassy yard? There are parks/playgrounds available in even the densest communities. Do we really need a den, a TV room, a game room, etc etc etc? It's this desire for tons of room that pushes people out sixty miles or more to find something that they can afford. Smaller place=less commute for the price=more time with family, or relaxing at home or elsewhere.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
I really don't understand why people live so far out in the suburbs. Many seem caught up with the desire for a lot of physical space that (at least to me) seems unnecessary. For example-does every child need a separate bedroom? Kids shared bedrooms for many many years in the past. Do we really need a grassy yard? There are parks/playgrounds available in even the densest communities. Do we really need a den, a TV room, a game room, etc etc etc? It's this desire for tons of room that pushes people out sixty miles or more to find something that they can afford. Smaller place=less commute for the price=more time with family, or relaxing at home or elsewhere.
Many things in life are unnecessary.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

It's good that the NYT finally wrote an article about it.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,317 times
Yes, the developed world is over-tasked & over-stressed and it daily makes me wonder: If humans are in charge of all this, why do they continue to make themselves & everyone in the world miserable?

I say "they" because I consciously checked out of that maniacal rat race years ago. Capitalism is every CEO's wet dream, and every underdog's nightmare.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
I think paying $3000 per month to rent a Manhattan apartment is even more unnecessary than all of those things.

I know a recent college grad who lives in a 3 bedroom apartment with two other girls. They each pay over 1000 a month. She's moving back home when the lease is up because it's just too expensive. She's currently reverse commuting into NJ, because she works here but lives in the city, and will move back to NJ to save money. I don't understand why people spend a ridiculous amount of money, often for sh*tty or small places, in cities. Perhaps with most cities other than NY it is different, but where I'm from that's how it is. You'd have to be crazy to live in the city unless you had a lot of money IMHO, especially with a family, or simply don't care much about where you live and the size or the neighborhood. Here, there are places just 30 miles from Manhattan with all those things you mentioned in your post. And IMHO QOL is overall better.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,003,088 times
I have two children (one in college now) work full time as does my wife. Non of us are all that stressed and my children do well in school and activities. It's how you balance it.

We live in an age where Busy = Important. If your busy everyone most need you, work needs you, select teams need you, your important to the world. Things wouldn't function without you, because your important. You work 70 hours per week, because your important, not a loser. Only important people are busy to the point of breakdown. And you must BRAG ABOUT IT, because as we all known your busy or sorry important.

In centuries past the wealthy bragged about how much they didn't work and how much time of leisure they had, now it is the opposite.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
How about because the further from the city you go the cheaper it is?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
How about because the further from the city you go the cheaper it is?
And in some areas, living in the city means you need to pay tuition for expensive private schools for your children, more than negating any savings you might see from purchasing less gas.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Try doing it all as a single mom
I do, and it works well. I've made trade offs to make it work. We could live further from my job and have a bigger house, but that's not worth it to me. I am underemployed/underpaid for my profession but I'll take that trade off in exchange for the shorter hours and flexibility I get. My son has limited activities because there's no way to juggle everything but he still gets to do things he enjoys.

As I tell my son, we have everything we need and some, even if not all, of what we want. We are doing just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events