Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Obama signed it.

The Bush administration had lifted the ban on concealed weapons in its final months, after pressure from gun rights groups, including the National Rifle Association. But a federal judge blocked the move last year. The Obama administration declined to appeal the ruling, and Congress passed the law. President Obama signed the measure without comment as part of a credit card reform package.

Obama signed it. Nuff said. Believe it or not he isn't "taking everyone's guns".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:58 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The more guns sold, the more available for criminals to steal. More guns in homes mean more kids getting access and killing themselves or a sibling. I bet the gun nuts are elated.

Yes, because "gun nuts" are pro criminal and pro kids getting killed, right.

Maybe we expect that law abiding citizens exercising their Constitutional rights in this country can do so responsibly.
Most LEO's have families and their guns are not stolen or involved with accidental shootings of kids. The same is true of the average gun owner who treats guns and other dangerous things (i.e. chemicals, swimming pool, knives, etc.) with respect.

`

Old 11-06-2015, 05:39 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sorry, but Obama gets ALL the credit on lifting the ban in National Parks and Amtrak. If you want to be credible in opinions, you need to give credit to the person who change the law.

Agreed on states. Obama is no threat at all which I agree with, but states may do a few things for safety.
The ban was unconstitutional. You dont get credit for ending unconstitutional state actions.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:51 PM

10,754 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Hand gun 3-800.00 plus. A good Glock =/- high 500s. Just saw a new Ruger 1911 for 750.00

Of course there are both more and less expensive guns

I don't know shotgun or rifle prices. You cant buy a fully auto Uzi without special Federal licences
Yes you can. No special licenses required.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's unlikely. In the USA you have to be a legal resident of the state where you buy the gun. Trying to buy a gun in Utah with California ID wouldn't even get you as far as the background check.
Only for handguns. State residency isn't required to buy a long gun from a dealer, even out of state (Federal law - some state laws are more restrictive).

Old 11-06-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You can buy a full auto Uzi. You just have to pay $300 to the government for the permit. You can take it out to the local gravel pit and blaze away with it. That is legal in most states.

Maine just enacted Constitutional Carry. You can carry your hand gun concealed with no permit. Want to carry? Go right ahead. Want to leave it home? That's OK too. We call it freedom.

Hiram Maxim invented the Maxim machine gun. We had the Hiram Maxim Memorial Machine Gun Shoot. People came with all kinds of machine guns including anti-aircraft guns. A fine time was had by all.

You can buy and sell all firearms except full auto at a local gravel pit. It is nobody's business what you buy. The same applies to axes, chain saws and knives.
It's not a permit, it's a tax stamp. And it is $200.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not really.

Generally you can buy long guns in any state which adjoins the one you live in (NJ and IL may be a bit different there). So I can go to PA from MD and buy pretty much any shotgun or rifle I wish and take it with me then and there. Which is what I do since most of the gun dealers I've dealt with in MD are dumbasses.

Now, for the dreaded "assault" rifle or a handgun it has to be sent to a receiving FFL holder and the requisite MD waiting periods and background checks have to be completed before it can be released.

Some states have inter-jurisdictional agreements that allow residents of non-adjoining states to buy long guns (I'm not real familiar with handgun rules since I'm a shotgun guy) and take them home then and there.
The whole "contiguous state" rules went away back in 1986 (at the Federal level). As a resident of MT, Federal law allows me to buy a long gun from a dealer in any state.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:42 AM

45,389 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The whole "contiguous state" rules went away back in 1986 (at the Federal level). As a resident of MT, Federal law allows me to buy a long gun from a dealer in any state.
That may well be, but many dealers are still following it for whatever reason.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:55 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Back in 2009 after Obama got elected, they were buying up all the guns and ammo by the billion, because they thought Obama would confiscate them all. I wonder what is the reason for the surge in sales now. What is it that they are afraid of this time?

Same thing, that's what a lot of buyers are concerned with.

Have you noticed the price of ammo skyrocket since Obama took Office?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:28 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not necessary true. I can go into a gun store in VA with my military ID and buy one. No need to show what state I am a resident of.
Soldiers and Sailors Act operates in your behalf in that case. Otherwise, it's true for handguns.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-07-2015 at 08:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events