Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Have there been any verified real people and groups of people complaining or just social media accounts you have no direct experience with? Sorry I have a hard time believing this story is not being blow 100% out of proportion by the media. Remember the hubub about the african american actor in star wars? Was a couple of fake twitter accounts trolling, the media ran with it from there.
Yes, the complaint originated with Joshua Feuerstein. He's a notjob with a bit of an online following (2 million Facebook followers, so there's a whole lot of people who are as outraged as he is over Starbucks) for his tirades against evolution (the horror!) and against allowing same-sex marriage (or, as he calls it, the 'Christian Holocaust').

But, yes - the usual suspects in the media then ran with it. Up first, Fox News!

Fox Host: "The War On Christmas [Is] Off To An Early Start" On Starbucks' Coffee Cups | Video | Media Matters for America

Of course, this idiotic 'War on Christmas!' claim is no more baseless and moronic than any other. Fox News does know its audience!

And so does the guy leading the Republican nomination contest:

Donald Trump: 'Maybe we should boycott Starbucks' - CNNPolitics.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
^ Well they have evolved a lot over the years, now that you posted that. The 2009 ones looks pretty Christmas-y to me as those appear to be ornaments. But I like all of them, honestly - and they're just cups anyway. I really do think that this year's solid red is quite nice.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,912,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
That must explain all the trees.
The trees have religious beliefs!?

Starbucks has tumblers with trees on them... Is that where the real outrage should be? Starbucks is supporting these Pagan trees?

Old 11-11-2015, 12:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,912,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
^ Well they have evolved a lot over the years, now that you posted that. The 2009 ones looks pretty Christmas-y to me as those appear to be ornaments. But I like all of them, honestly - and they're just cups anyway. I really do think that this year's solid red is quite nice.
I like how in the picture they all have whipped cream or foam, but to show our "blah" and "boring" the new cup is, its just pictured with plain black coffee.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

19,429 posts, read 8,979,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I like how in the picture they all have whipped cream or foam, but to show our "blah" and "boring" the new cup is, its just pictured with plain black coffee.
Nice observation!!!! And yet there are still some who say that the media and/or advertising does not influence public perception.

Last edited by katharsis; 11-11-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 03:19 PM

26,804 posts, read 43,267,473 times
With all of the crap gone wrong in the world for the middle class this "Reverend Ass-Wipe" has nothing better for he and his ilk to focus on than Starbucks Holiday Cups? Little wonder the country is going to hell in a handbasket with nary a peep about the 1% or billionaire-bought elections with those having the average IQ of a turd dictating media coverage of "the issues".

Old 11-11-2015, 03:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
I think it is just a marketing stunt as when the staff were to engage clients in meaningful conversations.

That created a few howlers here. As does this.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
BAM! Nice catch! Ain't that some crap?!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:29 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I think it is just a marketing stunt as when the staff were to engage clients in meaningful conversations.

That created a few howlers here. As does this.

They change their design every year. That's a 'stunt'?

Last year it was red with pine tree silhouettes in the background - this year it's red. That's a 'stunt'?

You seem to want to pin this laughably moronic 'War on Christmas' outrage on Starbucks. Sorry, that's a complete fail. Businesses periodically change the designs on their products. That's a normal marketing practice, not a 'stunt'. In this case, it's hardly much of a change at all.

This embarrassing spectacle is entirely on the fools desperately peddling the idiotic idea that there's some sort of 'War on Christmas'.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,772,235 times
You presume too much which only reveals your bias.

I placed it within context and gave example of another endeavor

If you want to read more than that is up to you but do not drag me down into your assumptions.

And since you went on to include moronic and war on Christmas it only shows how militant you are on this subject. OMG is just a red cup which is creating a media storm of publicity for Starbucks. Publicity stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events