Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 03:21 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

The cups are plain for when they rollout the 5 scenes sticky decals that the customer can choose from to slap on there once they get their drink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How do you explain “Holiday Party”, "Winter Break", “Happy Holidays”? They all used to have Christmas in them. Now on to Reindeer, Santa Clause, polar bear and candy cane. But I agree, there IS no war on Christmas. There was a war and Christmas lost.
My wife is an elementary school teacher. The first ones to complain about Christmas (or Halloween - that one gets their undies in a bunch, too) are Christians - specifically, Jehovah's Witnesses and, to a lesser extent, some fundamentalists.

Anyway, so what? Get over your whining, sniveling, we're-so-oppressed sob story. Here's a clue: Christmas is a holiday - the word derives from 'Holy day', for Christ's sake! (pun fully intended)

But there are other holidays as well, and places that serve all - Christians and non-Christians alike - often strive to recognize all. So your problem isn't what you pathetically call a 'War on Christmas', it's that society declines to recognize Christianity and only Christianity. And if you can't handle the fact that everything doesn't revolve around you and your religion, then you're the one with the problem.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
But there are other holidays as well, and places that serve all - Christians and non-Christians alike - often strive to recognize all. So your problem isn't what you pathetically call a 'War on Christmas', it's that society declines to recognize Christianity and only Christianity. And if you can't handle the fact that everything doesn't revolve around you and your religion, then you're the one with the problem.
Exactly. You could argue that our office Holiday Party at the end of December is a de facto Christmas party, but if calling it a holiday party makes my Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, atheist, pagan, etc. coworkers feel more included and likely to participate, that's more important for office morale than grinding an axe about terminology.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
I went to Starbucks yesterday and order my usual Venti Quad Shot Caramel Brulee Latte w/ 5 pumps, soy, upside down and demanded they draw baby Jesus on my red cup. They didn't want to at first but the manager was called in and drew a nice manger scene for me.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:47 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Why try to rationalize/complain/agree with Starbucks cup design? If you don't like it, stop going. Simple as that. There are plenty of other places to get coffee...none as good as Starbuck you say...then stop complaining about the cup because if the quality of the coffee is more important that the message they are sending than the cup shouldn't matter.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
For the record I am not even Christian so a big part of your argument just fizzled out. And who said recognize only Christianity? I am saying why are you denying Christmas when the calendar says it is Christmas. It is not just a holiday. There is a reason people take off from 12/25 to 1/1. It is not because it is snowing or it is “winter”. Why are you in denial and exactly who are you trying to protect? Who is offended? I must be your target audience and I am clearly not.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yup. Here's what conservative Christian actress Candace Cameron Bure said on the subject: "Starbucks War on Christmas? It's a red cup, folks. Until Starbucks puts a baby Jesus or nativity scene on the cup while saying Merry Christmas, then pulls it because they say it’s offensive, let’s talk. I don't remember Starbucks ever being a Christian company, do you? A Santa, a snowflake, some holly, a polar bear, some jingle bells or plain red cups don’t define Christmas for me as a Christian. My relationship with Jesus does. I will joyfully sip on my Starbucks coffee, in a plain red cup, and instead of complaining about the lack of decorations, I will lovingly share the good news of Jesus Christ with friends and co-workers or anyone who's willing to engage in conversation. Merry Christmas to all!" Candace Cameron Bure Weighs in on the Starbucks Red Cup Debate - Us Weekly

This, IMO, is a true Cristian response to this "controversy".

There are plenty of people who are not Christians, are not even religious at all, and still celebrate Christmas for the gifts and festivity. One of my best friends is like this (I met her in college, she's from CA, boggled my mind when I heard her talking about having a Christmas tree and decorating her house and opening presents and having a Christmas party and also still getting gifts from the "Easter Bunny" when she's not even Christian and was in fact raised as an atheist but whatever). These people are in it for the festivity, for things just like this - Starbucks' festive cups and cute decorations and presents. Real Christians are in it for the religious celebration - church, Jesus, being with family, AND the other stuff. I could not care less about what Starbucks' cups look like from November to December. A cup doesn't define a true Christian's holiday. But it may define it for some of those who celebrate for the wrong reasons. Just my opinion...

I'm sure there are some Christians who are "offended" by this. But I really don't think the vast majority even care. I don't think most people who "shared" this story on Facebook or are complaining directly to Starbucks are actual practicing true Christians.
I agree with everything said here.

That is a very wise young woman, clearly very strong in her faith.

Excellent post all around.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
Dunkin Donuts holiday cup is much nicer. Starbucks coffee may be better, however, I like the price of Dunkins better so I choose to give my business to Dunkins. The added bonus is a nice holiday cup to put me in spirit

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Jersey girl... There are plenty of things I have not personally witnessed myself,doesn't mean it's not real. I've never seen a billion dollars. Neither has any of my friends or family. Doesn't mean a billion dollars is a made up thing.

I've already said I have had one friend post on Facebook that she will not be going to Starbucks during the Holiday season. The pastors video was shared by over half a million people, and you can take a look at his social media as well as do a search on social media to see all those who have followed the pastor in claiming there name was "Merry Christmas" at Starbucks.

No one ever said that a majority of Christians are behind this "boycott". But it's not made up either. I doubt a presidential candidate would be talking about it if no one cared.

People are weird and this sort of thing happens every year. A majority of people don't feel like Christmas is going away, yet there is that vocal minority who think there is a war on Christmas.
So if it's such a small minority... who even cares? And why attack "conservative Christians" in general?

Clearly the majority of people do not think this is a big deal. There will always be people who do care about this kind of stuff but that's inevitable.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
I think it is completely hypocritical of some Christians to take offense that Christmas is given the politically correct treatment and referred to as "Happy Holidays" or the word "Christmas" is removed. How do you think non-Christians felt growing up in this country? Ask any Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist etc how they felt that Christmas was thrown in their face and they felt obliged to have to get a Christmas tree or give presents when that's really not a part of their faith or culture or why they were not given time off from school for their religious holiday.

I am happy this country has finally started to show respect for all of this residents. Personally, I love Christmas. I say Merry Christmas to people in the traditional way. However, I am quite happy our society is being sensitive to people of other faiths. At my child's private school, they recognize all holidays and show deference for people of all faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events