Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it is completely hypocritical of some Christians to take offense that Christmas is given the politically correct treatment and referred to as "Happy Holidays" or the word "Christmas" is removed. How do you think non-Christians felt growing up in this country? Ask any Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Atheist etc how they felt that Christmas was thrown in their face and they felt obliged to have to get a Christmas tree or give presents when that's really not a part of their faith or culture or why they were not given time off from school for their religious holiday.

I am happy this country has finally started to show respect for all of this residents. Personally, I love Christmas. I say Merry Christmas to people in the traditional way. However, I am quite happy our society is being sensitive to people of other faiths. At my child's private school, they recognize all holidays and show deference for people of all faiths.
You think Christians shouldn't be mad when they're told Christmas will no longer be publicly referred to as Christmas? You think they should accept Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas? What about Hannukah? Is Happy Hannukah not okay too? Do you think anybody would ever accept Kwanza, whatever the hell that is, NOT referred to as Kwanza? "Happy Holidays" is the blanket statement for Christmas. But for some reason, other religions get to keep their holiday name in public. Christmas is a "holiday" or "winter" or "X-mas" which is what people mean when they say "Christ is taken out of Christmas." Most importantly where I live, because there are a lot of Jews, Hannukah is still Hannukah.

I don't care who is offended. It is Christmas. People have off on the 24 and 25 of December for Christmas. Nothing else. Until another major holiday that the majority religion in this country celebrates falls on the same day, it's Christmas and no one should be taking that name away. There is no good reason for it.

Growing up, I knew people who were not Christian or not religious at all. But they didn't care that the word Christmas was used because it was for the people who DO celebrate. And they would join in on the festivities a little anyway because it's fun. So when did the perpetual offense at this kind of stuff begin? Who is that bored with their lives? PC has gone too far. In being PC we are offending Christians by not referring to their major popular holiday as what it is. And you can't deny that. In giving others, the minority, rights, you are taking the rights away from Christians to have their holiday referred to by its actual name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You think Christians shouldn't be mad when they're told Christmas will no longer be publicly referred to as Christmas?
If you (proverbial you and not specifically you) get mad when someone says Happy Holidays over Merry Christmas, I think you need to look deep into your religion and find God again, because whatever you are currently doing is not working.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
It's only a matter of time before we are no longer allowed to even label the Holiday as Christmas.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If you (proverbial you and not specifically you) get mad when someone says Happy Holidays over Merry Christmas, I think you need to look deep into your religion and find God again, because whatever you are currently doing is not working.
But again - why are we not calling Christmas what it actually is in order to appeal to a minitory? The largest religion in this county is Christianity. The majority of Americans are Christians, even more so if they're religious at all. Christmas Day is practically a national holiday. Most people don't work. Many take off the week between Christmas and New Years. Public schools have off that week. So given the fact that it's a majority holiday, why is calling it Christmas so offensive in the first place? Your argument fails to address that. Why cater to the minority? Most normal people who don't celebrate it would just go about quietly with their lives during the Christmas season. Jews I knew growing up went to the movies on Christmas Day. It was their little tradition.

It's true that a Christian celebrates no matter what the holiday is called, but why the offense, why the PC nonsense in the first place? Why do we love to put the needs and likes of the majority second to cater to the minority? Especially when Hannukah and Kwanza, other "winter" holidays shoved down your throat in school, are still Hannukah and Kwanza. Imagine referring to the African Kwanzaa as "holiday." Imagine the outrage then. Or even if we stopped calling Hannukah Hannukah. "Another attack on Jews!" So why is there a difference, not to mention a difference for the majority?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's only a matter of time before we are no longer allowed to even label the Holiday as Christmas.
That's the point. If (you) celebrate Christmas, call it Christmas. Other people don't celebrate Christmas, but they do celebrate Hanukah. So, for them the holiday season revolves around Hanukah and not Christmas. Would you be offended if every day someone came up to you wishing you a Happy Hanukah? Remember, Christmas is NOT the only holiday in the month of December.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
But again - why are we not calling Christmas what it actually is in order to appeal to a minitory? The largest religion in this county is Christianity. The majority of Americans are Christians, even more so if they're religious at all. Christmas Day is practically a national holiday. Most people don't work. Many take off the week between Christmas and New Years. Public schools have off that week. So given the fact that it's a majority holiday, why is calling it Christmas so offensive in the first place? Your argument fails to address that. Why cater to the minority? Most normal people who don't celebrate it would just go about quietly with their lives during the Christmas season. Jews I knew growing up went to the movies on Christmas Day. It was their little tradition.

It's true that a Christian celebrates no matter what the holiday is called, but why the offense, why the PC nonsense in the first place? Why do we love to put the needs and likes of the majority second to cater to the minority? Especially when Hannukah and Kwanza, other "winter" holidays shoved down your throat in school, are still Hannukah and Kwanza. Imagine referring to the African Kwanzaa as "holiday." Imagine the outrage then. Or even if we stopped calling Hannukah Hannukah. "Another attack on Jews!" So why is there a difference, not to mention a difference for the majority?
It is simple.. because everyone is equal in this great country. No one person or religion is above all others. Even if the country was 99% Christian, this does not make them any better than the 1% of people practicing another religion.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That's the point. If (you) celebrate Christmas, call it Christmas. Other people don't celebrate Christmas, but they do celebrate Hanukah. So, for them the holiday season revolves around Hanukah and not Christmas. Would you be offended if every day someone came up to you wishing you a Happy Hanukah? Remember, Christmas is NOT the only holiday in the month of December.
I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a happy anything.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a happy anything.
So, why should it matter if someone wishes you a Happy Holidays versus Merry Christmas?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It is simple.. because everyone is equal in this great country. No one person or religion is above all others. Even if the country was 99% Christian, this does not make them any better than the 1% of people practicing another religion.
I was part of the generation who got to witness the change firsthand. When I was little, the break we have over Christmas was referred to as "Christmas break." This is in a majority white Catholic town. Suddenly, the schools stopped saying "Christmas break." It became "holiday break" or more commonly now, "winter break." I remember my parents discussing this change when it first started occurring. We began to call the break that falls between Christmas and New Years, every year without change, something other than "Christmas break." So does the break NOT fall over Christmas, the holiday most Americans who are religious celebrate? Am I missing something here? Saying it has changed to include Hannukah doesn't even work because Hannukah does not always fall at or around Christmas, some years it even begins in November, so clearly this wasn't to cater to the Jews, if I'm not mistaken the second most common religion in this country.

So people who don't celebrate Christmas became offended that a break was named after the holiday it falls on without fail each year? The holiday the majority of Americans celebrate if religious and probably even if not? Seems they're the ones with the issues.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
So, why should it matter if someone wishes you a Happy Holidays versus Merry Christmas?
It doesn't. I was just saying we aren't going to be able to use the word Christmas anywhere anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events