Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So since the minority believe in something, screw the rest of society (aka the majority)? How quickly the tables have turned on your logic.
How is it screwing the majority to have holiday break on a school calendar instead of Christmas break? Do you not know what you celebrate unless it is on a school calendar? Holiday covers everyone, even the majority, since Christmas IS a holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
No. I'm not. I'm just baffled as to why they remove the name "Christmas" from things, as if it is sooo offensive. Fact: December 25 is Christmas. It is celebrated by a large majority, and the religious majority in this country. Yet publicly, the word has been taken away more and more over the years. Soon, it will be too un-PC to even say Christmas. It will always be "holiday" or "winter." Why is Christmas so offensive to people, that we have to change it even though it is celebrated by the majority? Why is the minority (those who don't celebrate or aren't Christian, because being religious and celebrating aren't mutually exclusive when it comes to Christmas) catered to?

Unlike many people out there, very few things actually offend me.
And winter break happens in the winter and encompasses more than one holiday and it lasts longer than just December 25.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
How many holy days are celebrated December 25? Hanukkah changes each year, sometimes it starts in November and does not even coincide with Christmas.

What other holiday celebrated by many anywhere in America also falls, always, between December 24 and New Years' Day (the same time as school breaks)?...

In NJ, most districts have off for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What's written on the calendar? Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. What do we call them? "The Jewish Holidays," to make it easier. But they're referred to by their names. So what gives?
Is winter break only one day? My son is off for about 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure not every day of the break is Christmas.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM

6,386 posts, read 6,271,884 times
I love the cup! Always been a fan of minimalism art.

I see it as an aesthetic issue even if it wasn't meant to be, it works for my design tastes. Doesn't make the coffee taste any worse.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
What other holiday celebrated by many anywhere in America also falls, always, between December 24 and New Years' Day (the same time as school breaks)?...
I feel like this is a trick question, but.. New Years Eve? Hanukkah falls between those dates (12/24-01/01) next year. So should it be "Christmas" break this year and "Holiday" break next year to include those celebrating Hanukkah during that same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Is winter break only one day? My son is off for about 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure not every day of the break is Christmas.
Well.. technically... the Christmas season does last for 12 days. So it is almost 2 weeks.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I went to Starbucks yesterday and order my usual Venti Quad Shot Caramel Brulee Latte w/ 5 pumps, soy, upside down and demanded they draw baby Jesus on my red cup. They didn't want to at first but the manager was called in and drew a nice manger scene for me.
It only counts as a Christmas cup if you also told them your name was "Baby Jesus".

Quote:
It's only a matter of time before we are no longer allowed to even label the Holiday as Christmas.
We now call it the Holiday That Must Not Be Named.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is: call it Christmas break, because that's what it is. If that offends people, they need to get lives.
You're just joking now... right? Surely the person who is offended by "Holiday Break" isn't telling those who are "offended" by "Christmas Break" to get a life?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 PM

645 posts, read 750,172 times
I never even noticed symbols on the cups before. My main concern is the drink not the cup..people really have nothing better to do with their time than to complain about a cup I mean really?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Just makes me want to go to Starbucks to get my Americo.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
I never even noticed symbols on the cups before. My main concern is the drink not the cup..people really have nothing better to do with their time than to complain about a cup I mean really?
Do you realize where you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events