Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A "social media personality" took exception on Facebook? Oh the horrors! He gets his 5 seconds of outrage. Next...

Or you can do what some do and not shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
I don't think so many people are mad about this... so one guy gets mad and we assume lots of religious people are?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:21 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Nobody is mad. If there is anyone I wish I could meet them face to face and call them stupid.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
So what? People should be outraged at Starbucks for the outrageous prices they charge for their coffee. $5 for a not even full cup is a rip off, plain and simple. I'm glad I got over them.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:34 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This "outrage" is completely ridiculous. And I think it's funny that some religious people are complaining that Christmas isn't being commercialized enough.
I know, can you believe that some people are making a big drama about it? Thing is, no religious symbols were included in past years.

Jesus must be very bored with curing disease and saving people if he is sad that a takeout restaurant is not putting snowflakes on paper cups this year.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:48 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So what? People should be outraged at Starbucks for the outrageous prices they charge for their coffee. $5 for a not even full cup is a rip off, plain and simple. I'm glad I got over them.
Nobody should be outraged over the prices charged for a luxury item that people only buy through their own volition. They could charge $100/cup and it's no skin off my nose, unless I'm foolish enough to pay for it (and if I am, that's on me and not them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I know, can you believe that some people are making a big drama about it? Thing is, no religious symbols were included in past years.
Yes, I can. Some Christians are very emotionally invested in convincing themselves - and everyone else - that they're an oppressed minority constantly being marginalized and discriminated against.

They're the same ones (again, I same some) that can't handle hearing the phrase 'Happy Holidays!' and who think that there mere existence of same-sex civil marriage violates the rights of Christians. They revel in their fantasies of being 'martyrs' ("No Jesus on my Starbucks cup? Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!") and seek out such examples of their 'oppression'.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
They're the same ones (again, I same some) that can't handle hearing the phrase 'Happy Holidays!' and who think that there mere existence of same-sex civil marriage violates the rights of Christians. They revel in their fantasies of being 'martyrs' ("No Jesus on my Starbucks cup? Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!") and seek out such examples of their 'oppression'.
Sometimes these people make me embarrassed to be a Christian. I have no problem saying Happy Holidays to someone, I'm not going to be a jack*** about it and scream Merry Christmas at everyone. I realize that others have different religious views then I have, and I respect that. In line at Starbucks is not the time to try and evangelize others. And being a Crazy Christian "martyr" in the "War on Christmas" is certainly not going to win over anyone.

I did go to Starbucks today to spend a $5 gift card I had, and couldn't help but giggle when the barista asked for my name. I of course did not claim that my name was Merry Christmas, because that would be obnoxious.

The Pastor in the video seems to think that by doing so he would be pulling a fast one on Starbucks, but I'm willing to bet that the employees couldn't care less about what name you give them. They will not be offended by someone claiming their name is Merry Christmas (although they might think you're a dumb***).

If you disagree with the company why even continue giving them your money?! That is the strangest thing to me. They're still making money off of you, so what does it matter to them what you say your name is?! I'm sure they all loved the viral video. They're like, "YES! Be outraged! Show us your outrage by coming in and buying coffee. That will really show us!" They're probably already thinking up ways to upset people next year. They'll probably make their own video. The cups will be blue, and they'll have an "outraged" person going into Starbucks claiming their name is Baby Jesus.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,294,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaydrive00 View Post
sometimes these people make me embarrassed to be a christian. I have no problem saying happy holidays to someone, i'm not going to be a jack*** about it and scream merry christmas at everyone. I realize that others have different religious views then i have, and i respect that. In line at starbucks is not the time to try and evangelize others. And being a crazy christian "martyr" in the "war on christmas" is certainly not going to win over anyone.

I did go to starbucks today to spend a $5 gift card i had, and couldn't help but giggle when the barista asked for my name. I of course did not claim that my name was merry christmas, because that would be obnoxious.

The pastor in the video seems to think that by doing so he would be pulling a fast one on starbucks, but i'm willing to bet that the employees couldn't care less about what name you give them. They will not be offended by someone claiming their name is merry christmas (although they might think you're a dumb***).

If you disagree with the company why even continue giving them your money?! That is the strangest thing to me. They're still making money off of you, so what does it matter to them what you say your name is?! I'm sure they all loved the viral video. They're like, "yes! Be outraged! Show us your outrage by coming in and buying coffee. That will really show us!" they're probably already thinking up ways to upset people next year. They'll probably make their own video. The cups will be blue, and they'll have an "outraged" person going into starbucks claiming their name is baby jesus.
merry x mass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
A cup of black coffee at Starbucks is $1.95 with a ten cent discount if you bring your own cup. Both Einstein's and my local breakfast place charge more. The drinks that cost five bucks and up are not coffee. They are desserts masquerading as coffee.

BTW, what is this nonsense about asking for names? The Starbucks down the street just calls out the order, e.g. "tall black coffee" or "grande unsweetened green tea."

Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A cup of black coffee at Starbucks is $1.95 with a ten cent discount if you bring your own cup. Both Einstein's and my local breakfast place charge more. The drinks that cost five bucks and up are not coffee. They are desserts masquerading as coffee.

BTW, what is this nonsense about asking for names? The Starbucks down the street just calls out the order, e.g. "tall black coffee" or "grande unsweetened green tea."
When you're at a Starbucks with a line 10+ deep every morning, calling out the kind of drink doesn't work.

What I love about Starbucks is the free refills while you're in the shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events