Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM

56 posts, read 41,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Please look at my edit on my previous post.

I don't have to look at your link. I have no desire to. I know what blackface means and is and what it can represent.
And look at mine.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacey View Post
And look at mine.
I 100% disagree with you. Let's end it there.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I 100% disagree with you. Let's end it there.
No, let's not.

If you know what it means, why defend a boy darkening his skin to look like a rapper, then? He will be seen as wearing blackface, whether that was his intent or not. That is what his appearance conveys. However, it would say more about his parents' ignorance if they let him out of the house like that!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
No, let's not.

If you know what it means, why defend a boy darkening his skin to look like a rapper, then? He will be seen as wearing blackface, whether that was his intent or not. That is what his appearance conveys. However, it would say more about his parents' ignorance if they let him out of the house like that!
That doesn't mean the boy is racist, or conveying an offensive stereotype. People need to chill out. Not everyone is out to get you.

Americans are SUPER touchy about race, and it is really, really weird. No, don't tell me it's "because of a history of oppression" or other nonsense, all countries have oppressed peoples, yet they aren't as hung up as Americans. In Mexico you call people basically "fatty" or "darky" and it's totally innocuous; if you did that in the U.S. you would probably have your career destroyed and life ruined.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So apparently, you and your friends among the Politically Correct / SJW crowd want to decide (exclusively) what is right and what is wrong ... and use the power of the media (and as you grow bolder, the power to coerce vested in the state) to force your definition of morality on everyone else.

Yes or No?
Great example of the fallacy of presumption. ^^^

Old 11-09-2015, 11:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That doesn't mean the boy is racist, or conveying an offensive stereotype. People need to chill out. Not everyone is out to get you.

Americans are SUPER touchy about race, and it is really, really weird. No, don't tell me it's "because of a history of oppression" or other nonsense, all countries have oppressed peoples, yet they aren't as hung up as Americans. In Mexico you call people basically "fatty" or "darky" and it's totally innocuous; if you did that in the U.S. you would probably have your career destroyed and life ruined.
I had a black French-Senegalese college history professor, with a doctorate, educated in France and raised in Senegal, who repeatedly told our classes how Americans are way too obsessed with race compared to other countries. Way too focused on it. This was one of his favorite critiques of America. He said it all the time and explained the differences between the US and Europe in this regard, even his experience in Africa.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
amazing. standing up for freedom of expression at one of the nation's top universities will result in frothing hysterics and calls for you to be fired

what a nation of hypersensitive, entitled whiners we're raising.
she'll probably be forced to resign now

Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
I can tell by the speed with which you responded to my post that you didn't look at the link.

As for not "trying to make a racist statement," that is the whole point of this. People who cover themselves in shoe polish or what-have-you to make themselves appear black without "trying" to make a racist statement are ignorant in the true sense, and should be made aware of how their actions come off to other people.
So apparently, you and your friends among the Politically Correct / SJW crowd want to decide (exclusively) what is right and what is wrong ... and use the power of the media (and as you grow bolder, the power to coerce vested in the state) to force your definition of morality on everyone else.

Yes or No?

Quote:
Great example of the fallacy of presumption. ^^^
You can qualify your response via any constraints you might want to add, but we all deserve a direct, yes-or-no answer with regard to your general intent --- and I am prepared to wait a very long time for that answer.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:47 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
I had a black French-Senegalese college history professor, with a doctorate, educated in France and raised in Senegal, who repeatedly told our classes how Americans are way too obsessed with race compared to other countries. Way too focused on it. This was one of his favorite critiques of America. He said it all the time and explained the differences between the US and Europe in this regard, even his experience in Africa.
Yes, exactly. I have lived half my life in Germany, and the other half in the U.S., and the U.S. is crazy-obsessed with race.

Americans need to STOP talking about race. That would be a great thing for everyone. No more "conversations about race", no more data gathered by race. It would be fantastic if we could move to a French-style system where it is illegal to collect data on race (which is a totally human construct).

Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yep, these whiney as$ libs are gonna have a tough time when they get into the real world (with their Yale degree, by the way) and they realize that they're employer only cares about one thing: Job performance.
Your boss isn't going to care about your delicate sensibilities, your color, your background or anything else that you want to use as an excuse for acting like an entitled little brat.
Unfortunately, I think you are wrong.

I think that unless there is a huge change in the increasing "tolerance" to the point of limiting or even eradicating free speech, that employers will kowtow to anyone who perceives any kind of injustice, real or not. (And there are plenty of cases where injustice is real.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events