Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 02:20 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

China smog reaches 50 times WHO recommendations

And obuma and the rest of the libs expect me to cut my "carbon footprint?"

Screw em all!!!!!

The climate has been changing ever since there was a climate

When cows quit burping and farting and volcanoes stop erupting come back to me about my damn carbon footprint!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I wish there was a way we could force countries like China to make a change. No matter what we do to combat climate change and try to improve pollution and come up with smarter energy methods, as long as China is still going strong it won't matter in the long run. Why aren't they held accountable? Why is it all about us?

Not to mention some of the very wealthy politicians and celebrities promoting climate change solutions (ahem Al Gore) are wealthy millionaires who own multiple large homes, cars, and fly on private jets. They don't live wastefully or anything... It's all a scam.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Damn!
We need to kneecap our economy to make up for it.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
China is just emulating the U.S of 50+ years ago, To modernize almost all countries went through a situation similar to China trying to tell them to cut down their carbon footprint is like saying "Hey you can only modernize when we tell you to!", their are green methods but history teaches and all the European countries and the U.S were successful doing that so what is stopping them from following a highly successful plan. For them if their is no problem don't fix it, 20+ countries have used it and are now the top of the world.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
China is just emulating the U.S of 50+ years ago, To modernize almost all countries went through a situation similar to China trying to tell them to cut down their carbon footprint is like saying "Hey you can only modernize when we tell you to!", their are green methods but history teaches and all the European countries and the U.S were successful doing that so what is stopping them from following a highly successful plan. For them if their is no problem don't fix it, 20+ countries have used it and are now the top of the world.
Was our air pollution ever as bad as China's?... I don't think so.

My grandpa has been to China about 25 times on business. He has been to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Beijing, other cities. He says the smog is so bad you can't see across the street when high up in a hotel room in a skyscraper. People sometimes wear masks. He says the filth and pollution is unlike anything he's ever seen.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
50 times? in a year? that doesn't seem too bad. There were more than 300 times that they didn't reach the limits so they got that going for them

Old 11-09-2015, 08:39 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Was our air pollution ever as bad as China's?... I don't think so.

My grandpa has been to China about 25 times on business. He has been to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Beijing, other cities. He says the smog is so bad you can't see across the street when high up in a hotel room in a skyscraper. People sometimes wear masks. He says the filth and pollution is unlike anything he's ever seen.
At one time, you couldn't even open a window in Pittsburgh, the black coal dust would settle everywhere! L.A. has recently reduced its Red Alert Smog Days from 200 in 2000 to 100 in 2010, and what was it like there in the 80's and 70's?

In Cleveland, OH, with the early oil refineries, even rivers would catch on fire!

In NYC, at one time, the water was undrinkable, all that was safe to drink was beer/wine. Water entrepreneurs would haul clean water from northern NY to sell to the rich.

We forget, we were once a cesspool of air and water pollution when we were a 3rd world country, and I'm confidant China will clean up its pollution faster than we did!

And let's no overlook our nuclear waste sites in this country, like the one up in Washington State, that will take decades and millions to clean up!

So give China, India and all other developing countries a break! Just like us, they'll get there eventually!

Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 AM

922 posts, read 805,797 times
I think environmental protection is important, but this whole Climate Change debacle is a little too dramatic. There have always been climate change, as a matter of fact, during the last climate change the Neanderthals could not adapt quickly and Homo sapians flourished instead.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:34 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Being that scientific researchers can be more corrupt than politicians, you just don't know where to turn to today for the truth.

The coal industry has billions invested in their coal plants, more so with the plants that have the multi-million dollar scrubbers, and, as you'd expect they're only going to hire scientists to defend their industry.

Just like the caffeine industry, which has a huge army of scientists to defend their products. Some scientist comes up with evidence claiming some negative effects from caffeine, and that person will be cremated!

Again, give China a break, give them time, they'll clean up!

Look at England, with all that coal pollution over the centuries, where you spent your little time off from work, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Even with the windows closed, you were constantly cleaning your house, and what it did to your lungs?

Mankind awaits a crisis to make changes. Sometime in the 1950's, in London, a dangerous inversion of fog and coal smoke paralyzed the city for 4 days, killing 4000 people on the streets. Visibility reduced to 11 inches. Yes, 11 inches, try to imagine that! No point in calling for ambulance, the ambulance wouldn't be able to find you!

England finally cleaned up, much of Europe as well, and the U.S., so shall China, and, meanwhile, my heart goes out to the 4400 people dying every day from respiratory failure in China!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:38 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

So give China, India and all other developing countries a break! Just like us, they'll get there eventually!
And in the meantime....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events