Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 01:52 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Pedro, come on now. You usually do better. No one here -- at least that I've read so far -- is excusing rap artists. Life is not an either/or. My sister and I used to get in little spats and when we got reprimanded and responded with, "Well she did it first!", we were told very quickly that bad behavior, no matter who does it or why, is still bad behavior. Further, rap videos are not real life, and there is a huge difference between the basement environment of rap videos and what should be the erudition of a university. The former panders to the baser instincts, the latter addresses what man can be.
You are correct, point taken.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:58 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You can't police people's thoughts. Good luck finding or creating your definition of a "safe space." Sounds like you're living in fantasyland.

Maybe affirmative action didn't apply to YOU but it does exist and has been held up in the Supreme Court. Many schools today tout their "diversity" even before academic achievements. I'm in the process of trying to go back to school for further education and places I'm looking at love telling you how diverse they are in their opening lines, with percentages and everything.
If these kids can't handle college, then the real world is going to be a big wake up call. No safe spaces there. I don't know how they will make it - if they are so offended and scared by a few words. There are stupid people and jerks all over who mouth off constantly. It's just a part of life - not something to focus on - just move forward and ignore it.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,788,649 times
[SIZE=3]Yes yes yes. At last a victory for free speech!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Things are so politically correct these days. Not like in the 1960s and 1070s, when things weren't so PC. Back then students protested the system, the Vietnam war, racism and women's rights, and the facility listened. Now the millennial generation so hesitant to speak up are finally finding their voices![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Freedom of speech is under attack and the brave students are fighting back. The administration like Timothy Wolfe has been undermining the students, not listening to their justified complaints, and creating an atmosphere of not being for them, for years. But the students aren't going to let them get away with this any longer![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The passion these students have is awesome! They are saying things they aren't suppose to say, and many people can't handle this non PC talk. It's refreshing![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Off course the herd keep griping and crying about the students, just because they don't like what they're hearing. Well that is usually the nature of not being politically correct.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]These students are taking the initiative and getting things done. By forcing Timothy Wolfe to step down takes some guts and determination. These students the go getters are going to go far in life, and overcome any obstacle in their path just as they have done these past few weeks! Sometimes you can't wait for others to act; you have to do it yourself, as they have done![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
If these kids can't handle college, then the real world is going to be a big wake up call. No safe spaces there. I don't know how they will make it - if they are so offended and scared by a few words. There are stupid people and jerks all over who mouth off constantly. It's just a part of life - not something to focus on - just move forward and ignore it.
Exactly. Free speech covers people making nasty comments. It may not be morally right, and you may be reprimanded or even fired in some instances (like the workplace or a classroom) but you cannot stop people from doing it in the first place. As long as no threats are made and no crime is committed, it's perfectly legal to say mean, even discriminatory, things to someone else. It's like it's their way or the highway with some of these kids. They forget there's a little thing call the Constitution...

You can create a "safe space," you have that right and no one's stopping you, but to be naive enough to actually think you can create a whole environment where people will not say nasty things to each other that may be offensive... please. Not to mention, people are perfectly within their rights to say what they want as long as no crime is committed along the way (like making threats).

Old 11-12-2015, 02:04 PM

53 posts, read 42,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I can just imagine one of these snowflakes freaking out during their first conflict at work. They will storm out of the meeting room to try and find a "safe space" because it will be the first time their perfect thoughts have been questioned.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Keep telling yourself much discrimination white males has to endure ... nobody is buying it and you can't prove it.
Well, I guess if you're not a white male you will never understand, or even see it.

And I'm sure the irony of this statement will be lost on you.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Keep telling yourself much discrimination white males has to endure ... nobody is buying it and you can't prove it.
Wrong

Any campus who has admission policies that include affirmative action, diversity goals or consent decrees all give preference to minority and women applicants. This is a fact, but feel free to look it up for yourself.

Furthermore, with Title 9 (IX), all sorts of things are happening to men's sports programs, even if there are not enough women to fill out teams for them.
Example;

FIU's men's tennis team had kids on scholarships. The coach was called in mid year and informed his team was being abolished at the end of the season due to IX considerations.
While he was upset at losing his team, job, and all the effort he put into building the team, he at least hoped his players scholarships would be honored.
The AD said no, that they were over at the end of the year. Some of his players couldn't afford to go to that school otherwise, and the AD said too bad. So these same kids who uprooted their lives and turned down other offers were left in the cold, all in the name of equality.
This is a fact, but feel free to look it up for yourself.

Regardless of the aforementioned, I find it funny how liberals/leftist talk about minority discrimination, yet never talk of the obvious hypocrisy of having race/gender only clubs that carry political clout on campus. That is of course everyone, EXCEPT whites or men only clubs. Yet if you are a black, Muslim, trangender bi-woman, they encourage you to form a club for fellow students of your ilk.
PC at it's finest, and most insane.

`

Old 11-12-2015, 02:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I hope you are right. I wish more of those successful minorities would let the rest of the world know how they took advantage of all this country has to offer, and I mean opportunities, not gov't hand outs.
I am shaking my head right now.

1) Who constitutes a minority? And who exactly are you talking about? I ask because there are many minority groups in the USA.
2) Having been on a college campus myself, I know there are more minorities succeeding that you indicate.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, calling someone the "n" word is such an artistic form of expression. Give me a break.

Ever watch BET? They say it 100x/minute Its ok for them to say, but not for us Oh, this will probably be pulled, I said "them".

Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
You can't police people's thoughts. Good luck finding or creating your definition of a "safe space." Sounds like you're living in fantasyland.
I didn't create the term, I merely answered the poster's question as to what the definition was.

You can police or at least attempt to police actual actions. Don't be obtuse.

Quote:
Maybe affirmative action didn't apply to YOU but it does exist and has been held up in the Supreme Court. Many schools today tout their "diversity" even before academic achievements. I'm in the process of trying to go back to school for further education and places I'm looking at love telling you how diverse they are in their opening lines, with percentages and everything.
And at the end of the day, the overt discriminatory practices against women and minorities is the reason for AA. People can cry, whine and boo-hoo all they want, systematic oppression and blatant discrimination created AA.

And if your GPA, test scores, references and resume are high enough, then you wouldn't have to worried about getting bumped for a lowly black kid. Sounds like excuses to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
These deranged urchins don't need a 'safe space'. They need a verbal and intellectual smackdown ... a psychological spanking if you will. Sad to have to treat them like 6 year olds but that's how they are acting. Thanks public school system.

Safe space? ... LOL! Yeah, OK...
Couldn't address my other posts, huh?

Just like the rest.

And yeah, if you can't walk on your own campus without being called a racial slur or concerned about being sexually assaulted, then that's a problem. Whether you agree is irrelevant, since you don't attend that university. But thanks for your contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Black people vote in a monolithic unit, Oldhag. More than any other "race".
Yeah, because so many black people can identify more with Republicans and Tea Party members.

Sheesh, this is why I'm an Independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events