Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Black people vote in a monolithic unit, Oldhag. More than any other "race".
Depends on how you view the numbers. The black vote was once consistently Republican, from the time of Abraham Lincoln to Herbert Hoover. Even after Franklin D. Roosevelt won over the black vote to the Democrats, it was not considered remarkable when Eisenhower got a higher share of the black vote than any Republican president in recent times has.

The last 60 years less than 40 percent of African Americans have strong party affiliation and that party has been the Democrat party. Less than 40 percent is hardly what I would consider a monolithic unit but to each his own. Normally African Americans have has low voter turnout for a variety of reasons. Obama's 2012 presidential run was the exception not the rule. 2012 was the first time in the United States history that the black voter turnout (percentage wise) exceeded the white turnout. If black voter turnout was 2008 numbers Republicans would be occupying the White House. What was perceived to be race based politics immobilized African Americans in record numbers.

I strongly feel 2016 presidential election will be the election you see an engaged Hispanic voter turnout given the negative language a certain political party has been spewing. People who vote generally vote their interest regardless of political affiliation.

BlackDemographics.com | POLITICS

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/up...yond.html?_r=0

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
I'm not American so I'm quite excused but...what is all this outrage about? What discrimination are Black/minorities' students subjected to?

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Being 29 years old, I've seen alot of changes, just in the last 11 years(I am counting from beginning adulthood onward). I entered college optimistic. A frustrated optimist, but an optimist nonetheless. Years later, I'm pretty much a borderline cynic. After the crap I dealt with in high school, things would get better in college. In some ways yes. In other ways, I learned something. It is not as cut and dry as being called a racial slur to your face.

My brother has dealt with racism in college as well. When he was playing baseball, he was one of the few Black players on the team. He got along fine with most of his teammates. However, he did encounter some players who were frequently make racist jokes in front of him. Little to nothing was done about it. He has dealt with other things that I won't discuss here.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:39 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
[snip]
Yeah, because so many black people can identify more with Republicans and Tea Party members.
Sheesh, this is why I'm an Independent.
Blacks vote as a block. 90/10 or 95/5.

My "tribe" votes 60/40 or 70/30. Some of us think for ourselves.

Your tribe doesn't.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-12-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Keep telling yourself much discrimination white males has to endure ... nobody is buying it and you can't prove it.
You can call the president of the university, who was forced to step down because he's white, for starters.

Or the New Haven firefighters that won a discrimination suit.

Proof enough for you to "buy" it?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:49 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:
Your expectations of rationality on C-D are way, way too high.

The same posters who complain about students wanting a safe space on their campus are the same ones who have neighborhood watchmen in their neighborhoods and are wary of certain looking people in certain spaces of their public life. White Woman Scared of Black Males at DC Bank; Alabama Cop Arrested for Takedown That Left Indian Man Partially Paralyzed

The same posters who complain about "entitled" graduate students being upset their health benefits were taken away, are the same posters who curse Obama for ACA and for losing (established adults who have years of work experience and should have a financial plan in place if anything happens to their job/benefits) their health benefits on their job.

The same posters who complain about black students feeling unsafe and unhappy about being called the 'n' word and general cultural insensitivity are the same posters who complain about black fraternities and sororities, as well as Affirmative Action policies.

The same posters who complained about the Ferguson and Baltimore riots and "why can't they protest peacefully" are the same posters who complain about these non-violent protests.

The same posters who call my generation "spoiled, lazy and entitled" are the same ones bashing students for being active, concerned about their space, standing up to an incompetent governing body and wanting to see their space change for the better. And they are also the same posters who post over in PoC to complain about President Obama.

I mean, I could go on for days.
You want to know what made the Civil Rights Movement a success? Those ministers were able to shame racist Americans. Americans on the whole are decent, upright people. On the internet one can hide behind nicknames and fill the computer screen with a filthy film but in public they are a bunch of cowards. If IP addresses were made public on this site, the cowards will flee like roaches flee when the lights turn on.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Black people vote in a monolithic unit, Oldhag. More than any other "race".
And for very good reasons.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
I didn't create the term, I merely answered the poster's question as to what the definition was.

You can police or at least attempt to police actual actions. Don't be obtuse.

And at the end of the day, the overt discriminatory practices against women and minorities is the reason for AA. People can cry, whine and boo-hoo all they want, systematic oppression and blatant discrimination created AA.

And if your GPA, test scores, references and resume are high enough, then you wouldn't have to worried about getting bumped for a lowly black kid. Sounds like excuses to me.
I didn't say actions, I said THOUGHTS. You can tell people they cannot attack someone for their race, or put in place discriminatory laws or actions, but you CANNOT stop people from SAYING what they want to. That is free speech and until a crime is committed, someone's words cannot be policed. So someone saying something cruel to you about being (insert race or ethnicity or gender)... deal with it. Yeah, it sucks, but no "safe space" and "inclusive, discrimination free community" or whatever can stop that. The Constitution allows free speech and that stops short of an actual crime. But being told something you don't want to hear of that "offends" you is not a crime. And it will never be as long as we like the Constitution.

There are no excuses surrounding the facts regarding affirmative action. Schools WANT minority kids, for diversity, whether they're great students or not. Some schools even have quotas, certain numbers of minorities they will accept before even considering other white kids. It's just the way it is. It has even been upheld by the Supreme Court, like I said.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You want to know what made the Civil Rights Movement a success? Those ministers were able to shame racist Americans. Americans on the whole are decent, upright people. On the internet one can hide behind nicknames and fill the computer screen with a filthy film but in public they are a bunch of cowards. If IP addresses were made public on this site, the cowards will flee like roaches flee when the lights turn on.
People like MLK and Rosa Parks, that's who. Decent folks who didn't play the victim card, who wanted true colorblind equal opportunity and equal rights.

Today's crew of social justice warriors want money, preferential treatment and a host of other "benefits" due them from the years of slavery that happened over 150 years ago.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:54 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am shaking my head right now.

1) Who constitutes a minority? And who exactly are you talking about? I ask because there are many minority groups in the USA.
2) Having been on a college campus myself, I know there are more minorities succeeding that you indicate.
I took it as him wanting successful minorities to have a stronger voice, to be heard, especially by the media. I agree with you that there are more minorities succeeding than is portrayed. IMO, they do so quietly, just going about life without fanfare and attention. We have turned into a nation that focuses our attention on the loud, obnoxious and ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events