Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
And here we go again...

Read.. Educate..

Stop Drugged Driving - News & Research
Thanks for the link. Most of those studies have no actual data or cases of actual accidents, just calling for more standards on how to test a driver who may be 'actively' high while driving, which I think everyone would agree with.

This study in fact backs up a crucial point:
National Institute on Drug Abuse study analyzes how marijuana impairs drivers | abc7.com

The study recruited 18 occasional cannabis smokers -- 13 of them men between 21 and 37 years old. The participants took six 45-minute drives in the National Advanced Driving Simulator, the most sophisticated driving simulator of its kind, and a different combination of high or low concentration THC, alcohol and placebos were tested in each drive.

The study found that combining cannabis with alcohol impairs drivers more than consuming just one or the other.

Most (but not all) of these accidents involving weed smokers has them combining it with alcohol, which is a deadly combination when behind the wheel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I don't know anyone who has ever died of a gunshot wound, but I knew a 16 year old boy who was run over by a stoned driver.

And unlike firearms, there's no Constitutional right to own MJ.

Fair enough. It isn't wise to drive after toking up, but then again it isn't wise to drive under the influence of ANY intoxicant! As for that whole Constitutional right about firearms, one I fully support, there is NOTHING in the Constitution about prohibition of cannabis, nor was the amendment process followed when enacting prohibition like there was with alcohol! Therefore, that would make the prohibition of cannabis un-Constitutional!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Speaking of killing others with their cars (hopefully) NOT on weed. Here is a group who apparently does it semi regularly- 33 this year. I had NO idea this was going on! I DID know people were driving on weed and alcohol. Not new news. But here is some:
Damn! Great search feature on this site. 33 people struck by cars in 2015 alone. Eh, they mustve been doing something wrong. But never mind the speeding killers and lawbreakers, lets focus on making weed more illegal than alcohol, lol.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM

69 posts, read 89,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Apples-to-oranges; food is essential to survival while MJ is not.
While diabetes only harms you, not others around you.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm curious if the OP wants to also ban alcohol.
One of the subtle differences here is that you can field enforce DUI against someone who has drank alcohol. It is virtually impossible to field enforce DUI against someone who has only smoked marijuana. There is no breath test for marijuana, saliva swabs do not hold up in court, and blood testing requires immediate and follow up blood draws that are hard to correlate with actual impairment.

Or to put it more simply, while alcohol tolerance ("I had 6 beers, but I'm not drunk") does not really exist, marijuana tolerance ("I smoked an ounce and I don't even feel it") really does exist. So, you cannot directly correlate blood test levels to impairment the same way you can with alcohol.

The difficulty in enforcing marijuana DUI is not itself a justification for banning marijuana, but the relative ease with enforcing alcohol DUI is a reason that alcohol DUI alone is not a justification for banning alcohol.
Like Natural510 mentioned, at least you can DUI test someone for alcohol if they are under the influence of alcohol and marijuana, since those are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
Data accidents double.

While pizza delivery orders skyrocket to epic proportions.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Oe of my favorite go to "as a result of marijuana" stories: Mother Drives With 5-Week-Old on Top of Car - ABC News

It may not make you violent but IMO it can and does make some people lazy and stupid. I know pot smokers who are functional and you'd never know they smoke every day, and I know others who are lazy with no work ethic or drive to do anything in life. I think there are functional potheads and then not so functional potheads. Maybe pot doesn't make you violent, if anything it definitely relaxes you, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to lead to dangerous situations. It's still a drug that alters your state of mind. It does something to you - and how you react to that and what you do in that state differs.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:47 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
As someone who lives in Seattle, I can tell you my experience is that people who wanted to smoke pot have always been smoking pot and people that don't, don't. Just like anywhere. There is no reefer madness here. You don't notice any difference in in the time since it's been legal or not. It's the same people smoking regardless of legality.
Same here in Denver. Legalization is not nearly as big of a deal to actual Washington/Colorado residents as it has been in other parts of the country.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
Default You seem to be contradicting yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oe of my favorite go to "as a result of marijuana" stories: Mother Drives With 5-Week-Old on Top of Car - ABC News

It may not make you violent but IMO it can and does make some people lazy and stupid. I know pot smokers who are functional and you'd never know they smoke every day, and I know others who are lazy with no work ethic or drive to do anything in life. I think there are functional potheads and then not so functional potheads. Maybe pot doesn't make you violent, if anything it definitely relaxes you, but it doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to lead to dangerous situations. It's still a drug that alters your state of mind. It does something to you - and how you react to that and what you do in that state differs.

If you see people that use marijuana, and some are functional and others are lazy AND stupid, maybe it's not the drug itself, but the person who is using it that already had those attributes.

I've researched marijuana extensively, and I've never ever heard of anyone becoming violent as the result of using marijuana in any quantity, so I think you might re-consider your use of the word "maybe" when referring to marijuana use and violence in the same sentence. I think it's pretty clear that the body of evidence supports the conclusion that it does not make one violent.

I do agree with you that any drug use can lead to dangerous situations, but I'd also say that it doesn't have to if you have a lick of sense about your own limitations.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
If you see people that use marijuana, and some are functional and others are lazy AND stupid, maybe it's not the drug itself, but the person who is using it that already had those attributes.

I've researched marijuana extensively, and I've never ever heard of anyone becoming violent as the result of using marijuana in any quantity, so I think you might re-consider your use of the word "maybe" when referring to marijuana use and violence in the same sentence. I think it's pretty clear that the body of evidence supports the conclusion that it does not make one violent.

I do agree with you that any drug use can lead to dangerous situations, but I'd also say that it doesn't have to if you have a lick of sense about your own limitations.
Even one of my die-hard pothead friends agrees it makes some people lazy. Sorry. We've had discussions about it. It can chill people out too much. Make them not want to do anything.

Regards to "maybe"... "it may not do this, but it does that." I wasn't saying pot maybe makes you violent, I actually said it relaxes you, but look at the context of the sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events