Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Really that is not our problem to solve, nor is it anyone's obligation to let them in and to give them free stuffs.
Did I say it was?

And no, it's not your obligation. But this rhetoric that the people should just band together and overthrow the Assad regime is not quite that simple now, is it? They're attacked by ISIS and their own government. I'd say they are actual refugees who are quite legitimately seeking sanctuary. They aren't fleeing from someone yelling boo at them. I don't know what the answer is regarding where they should go or who should take them in.

But their "nation" is hardly theirs to fight for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not talking about Americans of Syrian ancestry. Those people are called (wait for it!) - AMERICANS.

I'm saying that it's pretty ironic and ridiculous to send Americans into combat situations in Syria when the world is being flooded by able bodied, healthy young men and women from that very same country who should be just as willing and able to learn the art of combat as Americans of the same age.
Agreed. If our guys can go over and fight against Sarin-gas wielding tyrants why can't the Syrian refugees?
Should we solicit these refugees to join our forces?
Nah they'd rather wear expensive watches and take selfies.

I've read a couple of articles in the Daily Mail that really made me sick.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-17-2015 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Agreed. If our guys can go over and fight against Sarin-gas wielding tyrants why can't the Syrians?
Should we solicit these refugees to join our forces?
Nah they'd rather wear expensive watches and take selfies.

I've read a couple of articles in the Daily Mail that really made me sick.
Oh, you mean they should join rebel forces? Like some of these Jihadi coalitions? Good idea.

Quote:
In November 2013, seven Islamist groups - Harakat Ahrar al-Sham al-Islamiyya, Jaysh al-Islam, Suqour al-Sham, Liwa al-Tawhid, Liwa al-Haqq, Ansar al-Sham and the Kurdish Islamic Front - declared that they were forming the largest rebel alliance yet in the 33-month conflict, with an estimated 45,000 fighters. They said the new Islamic Front was an "independent political, military and social formation" that aimed to "topple the Assad regime completely and build an Islamic state". They outlined a new command structure, with key roles shared between the seven groups, and said they would work towards a "gradual merger".
Guide to the Syrian rebels - BBC News

Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Really that is not our problem to solve, nor is it anyone's obligation to let them in and to give them free stuffs.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Or fingers.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh, you mean they should join rebel forces? Like some of these Jihadi coalitions? Good idea.

No I meant join OUR military and then go back over there.

Why the heck would I mean the other? I said "our forces". I am American.

Oh I see.. When I said Syrians I meant Syrian refugees who want to come here.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Did I say it was?

And no, it's not your obligation. But this rhetoric that the people should just band together and overthrow the Assad regime is not quite that simple now, is it? They're attacked by ISIS and their own government. I'd say they are actual refugees who are quite legitimately seeking sanctuary. They aren't fleeing from someone yelling boo at them. I don't know what the answer is regarding where they should go or who should take them in.

But their "nation" is hardly theirs to fight for.
Is it OURS to fight for why they sit on their asses collecting welfare?

Cause I am not sure I want to be paying welfare to people who only want to be blowing up theaters full of people and attacking young couples on dates at cafe's.

The sure know who and how to fight when they get here...

Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:

At least it's a job.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:41 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
I could be wrong and this might sound radical.

But I believe that if I see a person in need of something in order to survive, I have a human obligation to do what I can to help them survive.

For some of these refugees it is a matter of survival to find refuge. Not finding refuge in the USA or elsewhere is essentially death for them.

For most of us Americans our ancestors came here because they were driven out of their homelands. We also had traitors and potential terrorists among our refugee ancestors. but fortunatly for us, compassion overcame fear.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:46 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
I didn't say Americans should fight in Syria. But don't lets pretend that Syrian refugees are just fleeing because ISIS has invaded. Their own government has been bombing the people for years. They can't join their own military, their own military is who they're fleeing from.

You called them "refugees". As if they really aren't.

Syrian government forces responsible for more civilian deaths than Isis, human rights group claims | Middle East | News | The Independent
There's no Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It's a front group in the UK funded by the EU to disseminate news and opinion through the media. It's a one-man operation and the identity of the person is in question. Some have claimed he runs a grocery in London.

Reminder: The "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" is Just One Guy In a London Apartment

People started becoming suspicious of all of these news articles on Syria because the only source quoted is this one organization. My guess is the news people know this is all propaganda, just as they knew that the CIA was supplying arms to the terrorists in Syria and Iraq for two years before Congress voted down the $500 million arms bill for Syrian rebels in 2014.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Why don't more ME countries take in more ME refugees?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rias-refugees/

Quote:
This comes as part of wider obstacles facing Syrians, who are required to obtain rarely granted visas to enter almost all Arab countries.
Without a visa, Syrians are not currently allowed to enter Arab countries except for Algeria, Mauritania, Sudan and Yemen.
The relative wealth and proximity to Syria of the states has led many - in both social and as well as traditional media - to question whether these states have more of a duty than Europe towards Syrians suffering from over four years of conflict and the emergence of jihadist groups in the country.
Migrant crisis: Why Syrians do not flee to Gulf states - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events