Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:21 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,463,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, to the first paragraph, first sentence, what if they do, either way? On one side of things, it is irritating when people don't believe me but on the other side, it is rather pleasing because I do take pride in camouflage and confusing signals. In fact, when I was in the Navy, I started incorporating my dance moves into my posture, how I walked, so people couldn't pick up on the common tell tales that id who is in the military.
I do not even understand any of that nor do I want to. It sounds like you care a lot about what others think of you which is counter to what I think you want people to think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To the second sentence, well, that is what makes horse races.

To the second paragraph, who attacked who first, Germany vs US, is rather debatable. Being an American, I'll go with what FDR said in the Greer Incident.....but then again, I might lean the other direction about the folly of hounding someone in the hopes that they will turn and attack.
No, it is not debatable. Since you probably just learned of the event today I am not even going to discuss it with you. Cleary Germany attacked Americans and declared war against America first. The rest IS history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 AM

23,540 posts, read 13,766,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
.......No, it is not debatable. Since you probably just learned of the event today I am not even going to discuss it with you. Cleary Germany attacked Americans and declared war against America first. The rest IS history.
No, I first learned about the undeclared naval war of 1941 in the early 80's as part of the require Naval History course in my NROTC.

But you are right in that we should get back to the point. Be careful about how one dehumanizes their foe because odds are, one's own side has not been so righteous in its past, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Are you really comparing this to WWII? In what way is this even in the same ballpark?
This incident? No. I was just saying how one poster's dehumanizing statements about the foe was probably not the best way to go. That their descriptions of how low these attackers were......could be found about people in our own history. The exception being, of course, that since they were our people, they are therefore different.

Don't feed the motivational fires of one's foes by showing them what hypocrites we can be.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,436,821 times
Quote:
You may not have read the whole book but both Germany and Japan not only declared war on the US first they both attacked Americans first.
Hmm no. The United States was never attacked by the German Military. Their only attempt was to send 8 saboteurs to the USA with plans to disrupt war production. Ironically these saboteurs had been naturalized as citizens prior to the war. In any case this was in 1942 long after the USA had entered the war.
Quote:
No, it is not debatable. Since you probably just learned of the event today I am not even going to discuss it with you. Cleary Germany attacked Americans and declared war against America first. The rest IS history.
I can understand why you don't wish to debate it. That is because you are wrong.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,436,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wonder where are all the people who were criticizing Americans for having guns are at now.
If they were in Paris last night, no doubt wishing they had a gun to defend themselves. As it was, some of them had to hang outside buildings several stories up to avoid being shot.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm no. The United States was never attacked by the German Military. Their only attempt was to send 8 saboteurs to the USA with plans to disrupt war production. Ironically these saboteurs had been naturalized as citizens prior to the war. In any case this was in 1942 long after the USA had entered the war.
Clearly you are making a lot of assumptions here. The Germans actually sank the USS Reuben James by German Submarine U-552 on 31 October 1941. I am not sure of your knowledge of history but I can assure you this was prior to Germany declaring war on the United States which did not happen until December 11th, 1941.

Thanks for playing.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I can understand why you don't wish to debate it. That is because you are wrong.
LOL Come again?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Reuben_James_(DD-245)

Old 11-14-2015, 06:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,277,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I'm French, and we all knew there were going to be attacks at some point, probably before the end of the year...
Controls at the borders won't change anything for the victims, it also won't change much to the fact lots of those warriors (not terrorists) already live here and are only waiting for instructions.
Ugly world we live in.
Sorry for the messed up situation there.
Hope no more attack. Hopefully, the would be terrorists will be captured or killed before they launch attack again.

You make a poisonous snake a pet, it'll bite, it's just matter of time.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 AM

48 posts, read 84,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Because those people see us (the West) as enemies and are trained as warriors are. And war is what they are looking for. Even some experts who were interviewed today do not see them as mere terrorists anymore. They don't try to just scare people.
And as far as I know, when a country sends troops and planes to fight an enemy, it's war. Aren't we at war with them in their countries right now? Let's stop being PC and call a spade a spade. It's a war.
So even if, technically, there is no war on French soil, those attackers are warriors, not just terrorists.
Remember, the way an American defines a warrior (brave etc) is not necessarily the same as the way these scumbags do.
Thank you for explaining, Sudcaro, and anyone else who responded, even if it came with insults. I sincerely want to understand why the attackers were called warriors and not terrorists. I think I get it?

Anyone trained in warfare should be recognized as a warrior for what they are capable of doing or have done, regardless of their motives in engaging in war, or being easily identifiable by uniform. It does not matter if their actions were authorized by a government that is recognized by the majority of governments in the world.

Failure to recognize them as plain clothes warriors means failure to recognize their ability to attack others on massive scales. Calling them terrorists or murderers may also lead people to fail to recognize that they were trained by a non-recognized government organization that is recognized and funded well enough to bring war to other countries.

Thanks. I learned something today. It opened up a Pandora's box of other questions, but those are best discussed in Great Debates.

Last edited by jenshoes; 11-14-2015 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Changed quasi to non-recognized

Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,740,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I agree with him.

Besides, he's entitled to an opinion like anyone else.

I agree.

He's "being ripped?" Lol,.by whom?

And he's right--any idiot could have predicted it.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Where's Waldo?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events