Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So what? Why do you keep bringing this up here?.......
Just wanted to make sure that you were clear about the undeclared naval war of 1941. Ie, the US was fighting what might be considered part of WWII but war had not been declared yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL. You keep talking about it.
To clarify others posts, tie up in loose ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Several folks on this thread defending/excusing the terrorist. Talking about WW2 U.S. actions, etc. And of course a few have mentioned Tim McVeigh, as though his senseless actions excuse the senseless actions in Paris.

War is not about playing nice. And it is not about who's right. It is about who has the might, and the will, to defeat the enemy. We have the might but not the will. The terrorists have the will but not the might. Stalemate.
No, not defending. Pointing out that if one is going to describe their enemy in such a way, be sure to pick a definition that can't be applied to them.

Of course, with the above, it is probably safe to say that "he" is a fighter that threatens my existence and "I" need to kill him. That is pretty safe and pretty direct.

Saying, however, that "he" is a coward for blowing himself up to escape capture and then we might have a problem for there are probably a lot of people around the world that we would not want our troops to fall into their hands. Would we fault them if they decided to kill themselves instead?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-14-2015 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:24 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Just wanted to make sure that you were clear about the undeclared naval war of 1941. Ie, the US was fighting what might be considered part of WWII but war had not been declared yet.
Fighting? I think you are being a little more than disingenuous.
Quote:
OH Sorry, I forget that only you get to control the dialogue.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:27 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
.......OH Sorry, I forget that only you get to control the dialogue.
Well, if we keep going in the direction we were, the moderator will do it for us.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:

Which has nothing to do with these Paris attacks! I don't care if the US Navy checked the Nazis in international waters. F*ck the Nazis! They were responsible for starting a war that killed tens of millions of people. These ISIS terrorists would love to have the same kind of power of the Nazis, but they really are just a JV team compared to Nazis.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:

No, not defending. Pointing out that if one is going to describe their enemy in such a way, be sure to pick a definition that can't be applied to them.

Of course, with the above, it is probably safe to say that "he" is a fighter that threatens my existence and "I" need to kill him. That is pretty safe and pretty direct.

Saying, however, that "he" is a coward for blowing himself up to escape capture and then we might have a problem for there are probably a lot of people around the world that we would not want our troops to fall into their hands. Would we fault them if they decided to kill themselves instead?
I'd say they are far from "cowards" and they didn't "blow themselves up to avoid capture". They blew themselves up to further their mission of killing people when shooting was no longer possible. As for the "coward" thing, it takes GUTS or serious beliefs to do something that you know will terminate your existence as soon as you do it.

Don't anyone for a minute think that these people are "cowards". They are pretty much the only fighters nowadays that will gladly die for their warped beliefs. Nothing "cowardly" in that, warped yes but not "cowardly".

Old 11-14-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd say they are far from "cowards" and they didn't "blow themselves up to avoid capture". They blew themselves up to further their mission of killing people when shooting was no longer possible. As for the "coward" thing, it takes GUTS or serious beliefs to do something that you know will terminate your existence as soon as you do it.

Don't anyone for a minute think that these people are "cowards". They are pretty much the only fighters nowadays that will gladly die for their warped beliefs. Nothing "cowardly" in that, warped yes but not "cowardly".
Dying is easy.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Well, if we keep going in the direction we were, the moderator will do it for us.
Which is a win for your side. I know, your side likes to control speech. At least the mods will not blow up some children.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:47 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's not too early, it's too late. They may have closed the borders, but how many are still inside? Over 100 people are dead because they didn't predict this. Rob Lowe is absolutely correct to call them on it.
I believe closing the borders was in order to prevent any terrorists involved from leaving the country, not to prevent people from coming in.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:48 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:

They kill themselves in these attacks because they have been convinced that they will be rewarded in heaven for jihad. Notice that the real leaders of Al Qaeda and ISIS never seem to commit suicide. These people are in a death cult, convinced they will be rewarded by Allah by turning themselves into human bombs.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I believe closing the borders was in order to prevent any terrorists involved from leaving the country, not to prevent people from coming in.
Of course that is why they did it. In the Charlie attacks, a wife/girlfriend of the terrorist who held hostages in the grocery store escaped the country before they could nab her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events