Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 AM

5,907 posts, read 7,001,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No one who understands the dangers that pitbulls or other large/strong canines pose should be surprised that a dog he knew nothing about (breeding, temperament, treatment, etc.) killed him.
I work every week with abandoned pits and other dogs that I know very little about. I am surprised the dog killed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While I trust rotts to a much greater degree than pitts, they are still the #2 canine for human fatalities behind the pitbull.
While they are not hardwired the same way pitts are, if they do attack, they are capable of inflicting massive tissue damage unlike most other dogs.
So just because it was not the #1 dog responsible for human fatalities, it does not mean an adopted Rott is a smart choice.
#1 or #2 for what time frame? The AFF document below reviews dog bites going back over 100 years. At one point, Bloodhounds were number 1. Later, it was collies (Lassie) responsible for the most.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...%20Placebo.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
One day is not enough time to demonstrate your leadership/dominance with a dog you know nothing about. Rotties especially the German lines are designed to dominate. We've had two since they were puppies, so you know every day they've lived, and my uncle is very much a dominant personality.

Most Rotties I see the owners are NOT dominant enough, and then wonder why they have problems.
The dog was given up for a reason, but maybe not soon enough to learn all the wrong lessons?
There is a little old lady that walks a huge Rott in our neighborhood. She obviously isn't Alpha, as she always walks with him leading her. I avoid her like the plaque. Rotts are one of the breeds that I instinctively fear, along with shepards.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 AM

27,715 posts, read 16,217,191 times
Unless you have an idea of the dogs past, good luck. I would rather start with a young dog that hasnt been abused... feelings aside.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,052,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I thought it was going to be a pit bull, but was not surprised it was a Rottweiler.
Not surprising at all. The guy choose the second most dangerous breed.

Breed Bodily harm
1. Pit bull 2235
2. Rottweiler 495
3. Husky 71
4. German shepherd 96
5. Chow 55

Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based On Their Fatalities

Old 11-19-2015, 10:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,078,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Your friend needs to learn about crate training. The fault in this case ^^^ lies with the owner.

We have two dogs, both adopted from Animal Control Shelters, one from AL and the other from MO. One if 11 years old adopted as a 12 week old stray, chow-shepherd. The other is a senior dog adopted 4 years ago and she is the one I want to tell you about, Yellow Dog.

On FB, I saw a yellow lab and the story was that she was left behind tied in the yard when her owners moved. The people were told they had 10 days to return for her or she would be confiscated. They did not return. Being yard protective, she had to be shot with a sedative dart before they could remove her from the yard. I kept seeing her still available week after week. I had talked to the Animal Control Officer once before and she had said that if they get a "good" one, that they try to hold them back to give them a little more time to find a fit. We meant her on a Saturday. I was surprised that she was friendly and then laid down right by us while we visited with the Animal Control Officer. I still wasn't sure about adopting an adult dog. Went home, slept on it and returned the next day for her. As it turned out, she was leash and crate trained and housebroken.

I was very cautious in the beginning especially since I have a son with Down syndrome that doesn't always use the best judgement. I kept her a distance from friends and strangers while I observed her demeanor. She was crated in the house in the beginning when we were not there to observe her. She is a large dog, 80 lbs and very strong.

Please don't let this story make you not want to adopt from an Animal Shelter. Educate yourself about different breeds and be honest with yourself about what sort of dog you can handle. It really pays to do some visiting with the staff at the shelters if they have the time to give you and I found most eager to place the dogs but listening carefully to size up our family because they want to make a good match.

I have no idea what went wrong in this case. Even from the short description though, I got the feeling that he wasn't being cautious and didn't understand the possibilities taking a strange dog out and introducing before getting to know the dog and obviously not having time to observe things that made the dog uneasy.

It is unfortunate for all involved.
I agree 100%, excellent posting!

Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,788,037 times
I thought they were supposed to do temperament testing on every dog before adopting them out. What got missed here? Scary, scary way to die!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,522,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

#1 or #2 for what time frame? The AFF document below reviews dog bites going back over 100 years. At one point, Bloodhounds were number 1. Later, it was collies (Lassie) responsible for the most.

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...%20Placebo.pdf
Heck, I had a cat who routinely bit me. He'd be number one for bites on most lists. Not a big problem for me. It's the animals that are big and powerful enough to kill an adult human that I'm concerned about. The list a few posts after yours that lists the top 10 breeds that cause grave harm or death is more pertinant to my concerns.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:35 PM

159 posts, read 169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Heck, I had a cat who routinely bit me. He'd be number one for bites on most lists. Not a big problem for me. It's the animals that are big and powerful enough to kill an adult human that I'm concerned about. The list a few posts after yours that lists the top 10 breeds that cause grave harm or death is more pertinant to my concerns.
That list looks like a little kid wrote it.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,454,304 times
If during the autopsy the dog is found to have rabies, then the shelter should definitely be held responsible for not running the proper tests. And if that is the case, it is sad that man had to die by something that he found such joy and love for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events