Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I suspect the welfare mother in this case has easy access to all of the above. You can lead a horse to water...

The thing I want to know is how 3-year olds could reach the oven controls.
Have some of you ever even met children?

3 year olds of both sexes are generally 36 inches or higher. On a total coincidental note, the most common size for a stand alone oven / stove is 36 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

3 year olds of both sexes are generally 36 inches or higher. On a total coincidental note, the most common size for a stand alone oven / stove is 36 inches.
Well now, in the project apartments I grew up in, ther was no way a three yeah old could open and operate it. It was set for adult height.

The the 400k house we bought, again, it was at adult height

At the 800k house we live in, it's s double over. The controls are at 5 feet and you have to be able to read to do it.

I imagine in this case was a oven/stove combo. And two kids who learned how to work it. To feed themselves.....just a guess.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I can't even read the article. Makes me sick.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
It occurs to me now that they could have used a chair...my son does all the time. Just tote the chair wherever he needs to reach high.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The panic button on the escalator is designed to be easy to reach.

Oven controls are designed to be hard to reach.
My wall oven is 27 years old. It has analog controls and is at eye level for a toddler. Turning it on requires turning one knob. Getting a child in there would require moving the rack that is positioned in the center of the oven, though.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
my old stove had a manual lock for the oven.

my new stove has an electronic lock but only engages in self-cleaning mode.

why do new stoves no longer lock ?
Never mind locking stoves. Let's resurrect those good old locking chastity belts. Poor baby.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:19 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
How could any person leave such young children alone in a house?? Apparently Grandma lived in the same building..Why didn't they ask her to watch the kids? Probably because they leave the kids alone all the time and didn't want her to know how often they go out. Why is it that the most IRRESPONSIBLE people on this planet manage to have one kid after another and yet some women/couples who would give their right arm to have a baby...cannot become pregnant. Poor child did not have a chance with that name either.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:59 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Have you ever met a stove? The controls are out of reach for a 36-inch 3 year old. They would have had to climb on something.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:01 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My wall oven is 27 years old. It has analog controls and is at eye level for a toddler. Turning it on requires turning one knob. Getting a child in there would require moving the rack that is positioned in the center of the oven, though.
Yes, the oven could have been very old, but I'm assuming they live in public housing with appliances that are up to code.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I'd go along with mandatory, reversible sterilization of every human being at age 9. Once a person/couple proves they are fit to be a parent and financially capable, only then would they be allowed to have children.
Now, wait a minute!

Wouldn't that be rather difficult to have a generation of adults if we are interrupting biology before puberty?

On other fronts, two things.

First of all, the "permanence" capability may not establish itself in children before the age of 7. Before it does, they may not understand that dead is dead, that sex by biology does not change (ie, one still might get a girl saying "When I grow up, I'm going to be a boy.") and so forth.

Secondly, a thing about heat is that they may not have experienced it to know what it really is. For example, when I was a young teen, I reached out to sample the steam of a kettle but fortunately, my mother stopped me, taught me the difference between the steam of a kettle and the steam in the shower. Or how about experiencing the heat a campfire? It's warm, it may get uncomfortable, but we pull ourselves away before it starts to hurt, so all we know is that it gets uncomfortable. At what age do we start to understand what would happen to "Batman & Robin" when The Minstrel was rotating them on a spit?

(It's a set of lines from the TV series but given the nature of the thread, it's spoilered out)
Spoiler

[singing to the tune of "Rock-a-bye Baby"]
The Minstrel: Batman and Robin rotate and revolve / As the heat grows, your bodies dissolve / When it's still hotter, then you will melt / Nothing left but your utility belt.

Maybe things were different in the 60's where we had less knowledge to know what happens to tissue, but to say that a 3 year old clearly knows what they are doing is probably stretching things quite a bit.

That said.....................well, enough said.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-24-2015 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events