Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 02:30 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,787,364 times

Advertisements

So one reason for the terror and ferociousness of Islamic radicals isn't just ideology: It's drugs. Evidently there is an amphetamine -- Captagon -that experts say is allowing these radicals to perpetrate their horrors more freely. I guess it's not unusual for fighters determined to do unspeakable things to need chemical reinforcement.

I never heard of this stuff before, and don't know if it's being used a lot in the US or not. But I'm not surprised that drug use and the drug trade has made a significant impact in the failed state that is Syria.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...themost_item_2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 02:31 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,102,231 times
There's a Vice News video on YouTube about Captagon

Worth watching

Old 11-19-2015, 02:54 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,834,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
So one reason for the terror and ferociousness of Islamic radicals isn't just ideology: It's drugs. Evidently there is an amphetamine -- Captagon -that experts say is allowing these radicals to perpetrate their horrors more freely. I guess it's not unusual for fighters determined to do unspeakable things to need chemical reinforcement.

I never heard of this stuff before, and don't know if it's being used a lot in the US or not. But I'm not surprised that drug use and the drug trade has made a significant impact in the failed state that is Syria.

This is not unusual.

Ted Bundy would use alcohol when he searched for victims so that his inhibitions would be lowered.

The North Hollywood shootout bank robbers both took phenobarbitol to calm their nerves.

Use of stimulants or various types are described as being used by Roman gladiators, Norse berserkers, and medieval knights, among many others, to help get them into and through battles.

Killing - even intentional killing - causes a lot of stress in most people, even in abnormal people (such as the sociopathic Bundy). This is part of the reason that PTSD is so common among combat veterans, and why even LEOs who commit justified and necessary killings often suffer after-effects.

Would-be killers have been self-medicating for a long time.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:11 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

Wow, that is scary...must make them manic so they kill like madmen.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,646,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is not unusual.

Ted Bundy would use alcohol when he searched for victims so that his inhibitions would be lowered.

The North Hollywood shootout bank robbers both took phenobarbitol to calm their nerves.

Use of stimulants or various types are described as being used by Roman gladiators, Norse berserkers, and medieval knights, among many others, to help get them into and through battles.

Killing - even intentional killing - causes a lot of stress in most people, even in abnormal people (such as the sociopathic Bundy). This is part of the reason that PTSD is so common among combat veterans, and why even LEOs who commit justified and necessary killings often suffer after-effects.

Would-be killers have been self-medicating for a long time.
This is different as it appears to be systemic to the new wave of terrorists as a group, rather than one person...use of drugs and especially those that cause a mania would certainly make it easier to manipulate the minds of new recruits and mold them into killers. They are actually incorporating this drug into their methodology.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 874,776 times
Quote:

A powerful amphetamine tablet based on the original synthetic drug known
as "fenethylline," Captagon quickly produces a euphoric intensity in users,
allowing Syria's fighters to stay up for days, killing with a numb, reckless
abandon.

"You can't sleep or even close your eyes, forget about it," said a Lebanese
user, one of three who appeared on camera without their names
for a BBC Arabic documentary that aired in September.
"And whatever you take to stop it, nothing can stop it."

"I felt like I own the world high," another user said. "Like I have power
nobody has. A really nice feeling."

"There was no fear anymore after I took Captagon," a third man added.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uman-soldiers/

SMH

Sounds like the effects of crack, ice or anything cocaine driven.

I don't know how or why someone would want to stay awake for days.

Between the drug and sleep deprivation, no wonder they are so brutal.

Too bad they don't frigging OD with a bursting of their soulless hearts.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,954,873 times
That's how the African groups control people. Drugs.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 6,754,989 times
Really ? I thought it had something to do with marrying their first cousins.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:07 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,242,144 times
Amphetamines were used in WWII.

Quote:
One of the earliest uses of amphetamine and methamphetamine was during World War II, when they were used by Axis and Allied forces.[35]

As early as 1919, Akira Ogata synthesized methamphetamine via reduction of ephedrine using red phosphorus and iodine. Later, the chemists Hauschild and Dobke from the German pharmaceutical company Temmler developed an easier method for converting ephedrine to methamphetamine. As a result, it was possible for Temmler to market it on a large scale as a nonprescription drug under the trade name Pervitin (methamphetamine hydrochloride). It was not until 1986 that Pervitin became a controlled substance, requiring a special prescription to obtain.[36] Pervitin was commonly used by the German and Finnish militaries.[35][37]

It was widely distributed across German military ranks and divisions, from elite forces to tank crews and aircraft personnel, with many millions of tablets being distributed throughout the war for its performance enhancing stimulant effects and to induce extended wakefulness.[38] Its use by German Tank (Panzer) crews also led to it being known as Panzerschokolade ("Tank-Chocolates").[39][40] It was also colloquially known among German Luftwaffe pilots as Stuka-Tabletten ("Stuka-Tablets") and Hermann-Göring-Pillen ("Herman-Göring-Pills").[37] More than 35 million three-milligram doses of Pervitin were manufactured for the German army and air force between April and July 1940.[41] From 1942 until his death in 1945, Adolf Hitler was given intravenous injections of methamphetamine by his personal physician Theodor Morell.[41] In Japan, methamphetamine was sold under the registered trademark of Philopon by Dainippon Pharmaceuticals (present-day Dainippon Sumitomo Pharma [DSP]) for civilian and military use.[42] It has been estimated that one billion Phiporon pills were produced between 1939 and 1945.[42] As with the rest of the world at the time, the side effects of methamphetamine were not well studied, and regulation was not seen as necessary. In the 1940s and 1950s, the drug was widely administered to Japanese industrial workers to increase their productivity.[43]

Amphetamine was given to Allied bomber pilots during World War II to sustain them by fighting off fatigue and enhancing focus during long flights.[4][7] During the Persian Gulf War, amphetamine became the drug of choice for American bomber pilots, being used on a voluntary basis by roughly half of U.S. Air Force pilots.[44] The Tarnak Farm incident, in which an American F-16 pilot killed several friendly Canadian soldiers on the ground, was blamed by the pilot on his use of amphetamine.[45] A nonjudicial (UCMJ Article 15) U.S. Air Force hearing rejected the pilot's claim.[46]

Old 11-19-2015, 04:33 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,146,156 times
Helps explain alot. And I was thinking they just did khat and hash. They're far less holy than they lead on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events