Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Not allowing people to protect their property just creates victims.

What always comes up is people saying no one deserves to be killed for stealing. Think about that, no one is saying anyone "deserves" to be killed for stealing, only that if you decide to steal, you are the one putting your life at risk. If you gamble and lose it, that is your own fault.
Those people just crack me up.

How about the fact that I work for a living and earned what I bought. I don't "deserve" to have MY stuff stolen from me, the stuff that I worked hard to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Did the kids have a weapon? A knife, or bat?
Does it matter?

Do you not realize that numbers, size and strength are discrepancies of force?

You're implying that someone has to be armed in order to be dangerous.

How about a teenage robber (think the size of mike brown) strong arm robbing your grandmother. He's not armed so therefore he's not dangerous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Keep your hands off other people's stuff. Don't sneak into other people's homes or cars while they sleep. Don't sass, flee or pull guns and knives on those we arm and give the authority to uphold our laws and protect us. Don't hang out with those who do. Treat your neighbor the way you want your mama treated...or yourself. Easy things to do. Do them. Ya won't get shot by anybody.

If these little fockers didn't know they were doing wrong, they wouldn't scatter like cockroaches when the lights come on. Just because you don't see a gun in their hands, doesn't mean there isn't one tucked down the front of their baggy pants. Shoot first. Frisk later.
Bad things happen to those punks and then their parent(s) wonder why.

I live a law abiding life as I'm sure most of us here on CD do.

Why is that such a hard concept for some people to grasp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
That is a valid point, but does it also apply to the morons at the Bundy ranch and their supporter? Bundy has stolen from the public for years. His supporters are aiding that theft. Should they risk capital punishment- in this case from the state? Or, do only ghetto kids get executed for theft.

Likewise, I wonder how many people on this forum who are getting erections over the execution of this car burglar would have those same erections if the State started using deadly force with very flimsy pretenses against those who owed back taxes or child support (failure to pay either is a form of theft- right?).

At the end of the day, my bet the answer for many is: Capital punishment for theft: Is understandable, excusable, justifiable, or accepted so long as..... the executed person does not look, think or act like I do, or someone I know.
Don't be ridiculous.

Not one person here and no rational person on the planet believes theft or nonviolent crime should get the death penalty. Many don't believe in capital punishment in any circumstance.

But to participate in activities that make the world more uncertain, more insecure, or more dangerous is the most likely thing to get you in danger. Whether that is robbing a home, stealing a car, starting a ponzi scheme, or cheating on your spouse.

You disrupt the peace and add to the entropy...don't be surprised when all hell is unleashed.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:28 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Let's see...
A "gang" of boys commits criminal trespass late at night...
(Yes, three does constitute a "gang" IMO!)
Then they rummage through a vehicle to see if they can find some money...
They get caught, they run, and one gets shot...
It brings to mind another antique aphorism:
"If ya don' wanna do the time, don' do the crime!"

Old 12-02-2015, 10:49 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
That is a valid point, but does it also apply to the morons at the Bundy ranch and their supporter? Bundy has stolen from the public for years. His supporters are aiding that theft. Should they risk capital punishment- in this case from the state? Or, do only ghetto kids get executed for theft.

Likewise, I wonder how many people on this forum who are getting erections over the execution of this car burglar would have those same erections if the State started using deadly force with very flimsy pretenses against those who owed back taxes or child support (failure to pay either is a form of theft- right?).

At the end of the day, my bet the answer for many is: Capital punishment for theft: Is understandable, excusable, justifiable, or accepted so long as..... the executed person does not look, think or act like I do, or someone I know.
I'm not for killing someone stealing from a car, but I am definitely okay with people killing someone who breaks into their house. You never know intent when you're in the house and someone breaks in. Most likely if someone is breaking into your house while you are there, they are willing to beat, rape or kill the people occupying the house. Anyone who breaks into a person's home should understand that there is a big possibility that the person inside can kill them, and most would feel it was justified self-defense.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:21 AM

684 posts, read 514,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinOnAJetPlane View Post
There should be outrage over the loss of life. Not outrage because of the color of their skin.

People are not looking to save lives with these protests, they are looking to punish only certain kinds of people.
Yea people who are committing crimes. These yoofs crossed the line when they jumped the fence onto private property and then opened a car and began looking for things to take which were not theirs.

Trespassing and robbery were already being committed when the home owner appeared and shot them.

%100 justified and while it's sad a person lost their life its also sad they were so young and out so late doing these things and sad their parents didn't teach them better or control them. The dead kid brought it upon himself as well as his parents. If I were the home owner I would proactively sue the parents of the dead kid and claim since he was their responsibility that they should be held liable for civil damages, mental anguish, and a host of other things. While I'm sure the parents have nothing it will at least send a message to other parents that they will be legally held responsible for what their child does while they are minors.

Unfortunately what will probably end up happening is the dead kids parents will sue the homeowner and in a twisted world they will actually win some sort of judgement. The homeowner might even lose his house, simply because three yoofs were hungry at 1200am and these innocent kids felt justified or entitled to jump fences and rummage through cars looking for something their parents should have already been providing them, food and snacks in their own home that late at night.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not one person here and no rational person on the planet believes theft or nonviolent crime should get the death penalty. Many don't believe in capital punishment in any circumstance.
Have you read the posts here- espescially the "cockroach" type comments or the "he deserved it" type comments? Half of the posters seem to be sexually aroused that a 13 year old received de facto capital punishment for burglary of a car. (and no, I am not anti gun)

Quote:
But to participate in activities that make the world more uncertain, more insecure, or more dangerous is the most likely thing to get you in danger. Whether that is robbing a home, stealing a car, starting a ponzi scheme, or cheating on your spouse.

You disrupt the peace and add to the entropy...don't be surprised when all hell is unleashed.
Now this I can agree with.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:30 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Why did he have to shoot at the kids? Couldn't he have fired a shot over their heads to scare them off?

Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Have you read the posts here- espescially the "cockroach" type comments or the "he deserved it" type comments? Half of the posters seem to be sexually aroused that a 13 year old received de facto capital punishment for burglary of a car. (and no, I am not anti gun)

I don't think they are advocating the deaths of these people.
They're just not bemoaning them.
See the difference?
I'm not sad, either. Another person who would in all likelihood caused there to be more unhappiness on earth is snuffed out...? Ok, I am a little sad. Sad that he had the kind of parents and childhood that led to this. But not sad that my son won't have to share the earth with him 20 years from now.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:54 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why did he have to shoot at the kids? Couldn't he have fired a shot over their heads to scare them off?
And give them time to shoot back? That's never a good idea. Ever. If you are going to use a weapon use it but don't mess around with it. That two shots in the air from grand dad's shotgun is mythical.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not for killing someone stealing from a car, but I am definitely okay with people killing someone who breaks into their house. You never know intent when you're in the house and someone breaks in. Most likely if someone is breaking into your house while you are there, they are willing to beat, rape or kill the people occupying the house. Anyone who breaks into a person's home should understand that there is a big possibility that the person inside can kill them, and most would feel it was justified self-defense.
I agree with you. Though I personally would never automatically use lethal force against somebody burglarizing my home just because "I can", such a burglar would be taking a large risk. Likewise, it would be very difficult for me to second guess another person who used lethal force while defending a home, even if they used it in circumstances that I would not have.

As for cars, the shooter would really need to show me why he needed verse "needed" to kill the burglar. Many of my views on weapons dont allow me to fit well into the NRA camp or the Gun control camp.
Quote:
I'm not sad, either. Another person who would in all likelihood caused there to be more unhappiness on earth is snuffed out...? Ok, I am a little sad. Sad that he had the kind of parents and childhood that led to this. But not sad that my son won't have to share the earth with him 20 years from now.
I have three children and still would not champion the "need" to kill this kid. I am not PC as I realize that this kid was probably going to be a burden on society. At the same time, I am not a social cleanser either and thus dont think he deserved death and still mourn his loss. In the early part of the last century, Planned Parenthood advocated the mass sterilization / abortion of blacks and to a lesser degree Appalachian whites because they deemed them to be socially unproductive and prone to crime. I am not accussing you of going "Planned Parenthood", but social cleansing can be a slippery slope.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-02-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events