Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 05:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,815,437 times

Advertisements

What a great way to address school violence and counsel troubled youth! Teach, BY EXAMPLE!

Student body slammed outside of Jim Hill High School | WJTV.com

I would add that these kids have generally had somebody whompin' the heck out of them, since toddlerhood: their mamas, their mamas' boyfriends - various folks at daycare (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVNmi-TdVIY). So, it's hardly like these children's problems stem from a violence deficit. I suppose the theory goes, "Just a little more violence, and this child will learn to BEHAVE!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:29 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,580,557 times
I am not sure what the second video has to do with the first one. The grandfather in the second video is the part of the problem with our kids today.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,648,238 times
Where is the rest of the video?

Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,416,484 times
That was NOT slamming the student to the ground. If it had been on soft grass, really? I'd say "meh?" But I'm surprised there were no broken bones. That student was slammed to the BLACKTOP PAVEMENT. There's no excuse. If the student needs to be suspended, then so be it. But the adult needs to be held accountable. Does he think he's in the WWF ring? Totally wrong, wrong, wrong. And I really don't care what the kid's history is - moot point.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:34 AM

19,927 posts, read 12,220,001 times
The student could have ended up with a concussion or cracked skull. People go nuts over an officer wrestling someone to the ground and this teacher lifts a kid and slams them onto the pavement from several feet off the ground.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,179,537 times
I don't want to watch a violent video like that. But I agree with you, these kids that behave aggressively have almost invariably been subject to violence by adults. And yes, this includes spanking.

My parents worked with disadvantaged children, and they've consistently found that there's a strong direct correlation between whether the people have been struck by adults as children, and violent tendencies.

Black parents spank the most, East Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) the least. Which group tends to get into more trouble? Which group on average excels?

Same thing with countries. Countries where it's banned, tend to be much safer than countries where it's a norm.

This teacher was probably subject to violence a lot as a kid, this kid was/is, who will probably in turn repeat the cycle with a future kid.

Time to ban it altogether now. He should be imprisoned for this.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 PM

1,038 posts, read 907,215 times
They couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher these days

Old 01-18-2016, 12:13 AM

6,506 posts, read 4,124,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't want to watch a violent video like that. But I agree with you, these kids that behave aggressively have almost invariably been subject to violence by adults. And yes, this includes spanking.

My parents worked with disadvantaged children, and they've consistently found that there's a strong direct correlation between whether the people have been struck by adults as children, and violent tendencies.

Black parents spank the most, East Asians (Koreans, Japanese, Chinese) the least. Which group tends to get into more trouble? Which group on average excels?

Same thing with countries. Countries where it's banned, tend to be much safer than countries where it's a norm.

This teacher was probably subject to violence a lot as a kid, this kid was/is, who will probably in turn repeat the cycle with a future kid.

Time to ban it altogether now. He should be imprisoned for this.
Although you make a good argument I think it is a little bit the story of the chicken and the egg. Spanking wasn't banned before these nations started excelling but after these nations started excelling and as a result of them becoming more "modern" or even "liberal" if you want to call it. One thing I have to say though is I honestly don't think spanking unless it is too the point were it could be called child abuse have serious effect on children. For example Indians and Nigerians probably spanked their kids several times although not all Nigerians or Indians do and in America these two ethnicity are some of not the most educated groups. This is just a point I would like to make but the even bigger point is.
90% of people (Westerners, East Asians etc.) before the year 1960 probably spanked their children not only once but multiple times and through the period before until the recent 50 years were teachers couldn't spank children and many westerners and East Asians stopped spanking their children we still had thousands of great minds emerge with a next to 100% guarantee that they were spanked in childhood and even more than just 100-200 or more years ago those who spanked them were often teachers or strangers/family friends. Most of these great minds all turned out basically alright and most weren't spared from spanking. Although I don't like spanking I don't think it is the problem.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,071,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Where is the rest of the video?
Exactly we don't what led up to that point. Maybe it wasn't called for but from that snippet you do not know.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 AM

3,731 posts, read 5,815,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Exactly we don't what led up to that point. Maybe it wasn't called for but from that snippet you do not know.
Dowager Soybean Empress (a friend back in Mississippi) emailed me last night, to say she saw on the news, that the kid was hitting (or about to hit) a female Principal, when the big male teacher grabbed and body-slammed him. The kid had been violently out-of-control, for quite a while, before that.

I'm not sure why a bear hug would not have immobilized the kid, until the PoPo arrived. But a broken neck, or brain damage, resulting from the body-slam, would surely have meant a multi-million-Dollar settlement (and huge legal bills) for the school district.

As it is, the district has one of the biggest budgets in the state, yet is among the worst in the state, where student achievement is concerned. Just one article about ongoing problems there: Jackson Jambalaya: Only 40% of JPS employees are teachers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events