Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 18,443 times

Advertisements

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...r&ADPosition=2

Quote:
One of two 16-year-old girls accused of conspiring to kill students at their suburban Denver high school has been charged as an adult after prosecutors say she bought a BB gun for target practice and mapped plans for an attack.
Prosecutors on Tuesday charged Sienna Johnson with conspiracy to commit murder and asked that she not be allowed to return to Mountain Vista High School in the affluent suburb of Highlands Ranch. Defense attorneys requested a hearing to transfer the case back to juvenile court.

A judge set her bond at $1 million. Prosecutors said Johnson showed no remorse and told investigators that if she were released she would try again and better hide her plans.
The girls were arrested after police were alerted to their plans on Dec. 12 via a text-a-tip program developed for schools.
Crazy. Granted she only had a BB gun but she could have possibly gotten a hold of more lethal weapons. I do wonder though if a female shooter would be easier to take down and less likely to be able to kill many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 03:48 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
There's been some study done on the psychology of mass shootings, and why they've become more frequent. It turns out there's a sort of cachet (for some twisted minds) in carrying on a "tradition". Some of these kids study the history of the incidents, and become copy-cat perps, or want to come up with a more sensational approach, or whatever. So now that "macho" mentality, that warped glory-seeking has spread to girls, it seems.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,726,206 times
Over 35 years ago, a shooting spree by a teenage girl at an elementary school inspired the song 'I Don't Like Mondays', her stated reason for the shooting.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,868,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Wow, even young girls are now planning school shootings.
16 isnt really young.... OLD ENOUGH TO THINK VIOLENT!!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 PM

16,644 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Don't think for a minute that violent video games (which girls also play) along with Hollywood promoting empowered women and female roles as heroines kicking rear do not have an effect. Female arrests for assault/battery has exploded in the last 20 years, far beyond any historical comparison.
Women are no longer taught how to be ladies and not to fight like the stupid boys. Instead now you see many a YT video where girls are having street fights just like the guys. I'm sure MMA promoting female fighters is not helping either.

`

Old 01-09-2016, 01:55 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,868,715 times
No.... I AGREE.... THEY DO!!!!!!!

These trash games SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED BY ANYONE!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2016, 05:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,040,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's been some study done on the psychology of mass shootings, and why they've become more frequent. It turns out there's a sort of cachet (for some twisted minds) in carrying on a "tradition". Some of these kids study the history of the incidents, and become copy-cat perps, or want to come up with a more sensational approach, or whatever. So now that "macho" mentality, that warped glory-seeking has spread to girls, it seems.
Well I guess this blows the meme "it's always white males that commit mass shootings" out of the water.
Women's equality aside, it's sad that any kid thinks this is some kind of solution to a problem or somehow a "fun" idea.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:18 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,495,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No.... I AGREE.... THEY DO!!!!!!!

These trash games SHOULD NOT BE PLAYED BY ANYONE!!!!!!!
I do not care what you think. They are legal and I would argue covered by the Constitution.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:31 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,656,762 times
No one has blamed the "Hunger Games " phenomenon yet? The push for more "strong female characters" has led to casting females into traditionally male roles; modeling the very behaviors that were blamed for real-life male-based violence. (Being Sarcastic).

Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM

19,834 posts, read 9,402,929 times
Meet Sienna Johnson, 16, Charged as Adult in Alleged School Murder Scheme | Westword

The above shows many writing of Sienna; and she is, imo, a very intelligent, creative and artistic person, as well as a very angry one. It is just too bad that therapy proved to be of so little value to her, but then that is often the case.

It is very easy to -- often unjustly -- point fingers, but it is very tempting to say that her parents put their wants and needs ahead of their daughter's (according to her short autobiography, which, of course, is very one-sided and not exactly objective, to say the least) -- and it is true that most teenagers are almost always very self-centered.

One thing that stood out to me, though, is that she wrote that she did not see herself as being pretty on the inside or the outside, although I think she is above average in looks, judging by her face). I wonder if a poor self-image was a big factor in her alienation and anger, and if so, I wonder who or what is to blame for that?

P.S. on Edit. In rereading the above, I realize that it may appear that I might be excusing Sienna's actions, if she is indeed guilty of what she is accused. Nothing could be further from the truth!! With the exception of three years, I have had a Littleton, Colorado address for the past 27 years, and in 1999, I lived only one mile from Columbine, and the scars from that are still very much with many people in this community. (And Mountain Vista is only ten miles from Columbine.)

Last edited by katharsis; 01-09-2016 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events