Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 PM

35,755 posts, read 21,122,405 times

Advertisements

We hate what she represents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:45 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,653,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I don't understand. When her son got off on the affluenza defense yea I thought it was a scam and not on the up, that the kid got away with murder. But that I could chalk up to just the latest one judge.

Apparently it's the whole local court system that has some serious deficiencies in ethics.

How is a woman who helped her son flea the country and was apprehend on the run in Mexico given bail? They shouldn't be lowering her bail because bail should be denied. She's the text book definition of a flight risk.

If I was the family of those murdered by her son I would be beside myself at how this has all played out. It's disgusting.
you dont understand when you have money in this country you have many connection, Im sure they have many judges who are good friends of the family.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 PM

4,508 posts, read 4,635,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We hate what she represents!
Once again, who is this "we" you are speaking for and who appointed you to speak for "we" ?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,156,052 times
Quote:
No sorry, you're wrong. It's not daily that an underage teen gets wasted, gets in a truck and kills 4 people. And then faces almost no consequences.

The ONLY reason this is a story and Eric Couch is a household name is because a Judge ruled that legally Eric Couch was not responsible for his actions because he grew up too rich and privileged to know that driving drunk and killing 4 people is not acceptable and is actually manslaughter.

That's the problem with this case and why it's gotten this much attention.
His name is Ethan. Ethan Anthony Couch.

MADD has gotten involved, too.

MADD Petitions to #FightAffluenza, Move Ethan Couch

I wonder what the original judge, Jean Hudson Boyd, thinks about all of this. There's been radio silence from her.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
This entire situation disgusts me.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM

15,543 posts, read 10,533,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Once again, who is this "we" you are speaking for and who appointed you to speak for "we" ?

The word "we" is used by the speaker to refer to himself and one or more like minded people. In this case, "we" is used to reference people who don't like what the mother represents. Since you like, or are indifferent, to what the mother represents, "we" does not refer to you. You are not like minded, so you are not "we". Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited by elan; 01-13-2016 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-13-2016, 12:35 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,967,481 times
I'm still not sure what she did wrong other than take a vacation in Mexico with her son.

And from what I heard if he stays in Mexico until he's 18 everything goes away? Is that true?

So let's spend millions of dollars on this for why? Better to just give the money to the victims.

Signed,
Affluent child of rich parents

Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,516,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
you dont understand when you have money in this country you have many connection, Im sure they have many judges who are good friends of the family.
I doubt it. From what I've seen, the popular idea that they are terribly affluent (affluenzia is so silly!) has been completely overblown, at least by Texas standards. Not saying the father doesn't have money, but most articles speak of how much his company might be worth, not their actual income. And even if their income was high, I don't get the impression that these people are that well connected, at least as far as influence with judges and that sort of thing.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I doubt it. From what I've seen, the popular idea that they are terribly affluent (affluenzia is so silly!) has been completely overblown, at least by Texas standards. Not saying the father doesn't have money, but most articles speak of how much his company might be worth, not their actual income. And even if their income was high, I don't get the impression that these people are that well connected, at least as far as influence with judges and that sort of thing.
Well the other thing with the affluenzna verdict was that this kid was able to get into a big name rehab center while most people cannot and instead sit in jail for similar situations. That is why the money even if only an image mattered, especially in this case.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
No sorry, you're wrong. It's not daily that an underage teen gets wasted, gets in a truck and kills 4 people. And then faces almost no consequences.

The ONLY reason this is a story and Eric Couch is a household name is because a Judge ruled that legally Eric Couch was not responsible for his actions because he grew up too rich and privileged to know that driving drunk and killing 4 people is not acceptable and is actually manslaughter.

That's the problem with this case and why it's gotten this much attention.
Ethan Couch was given 10 years probation in juvenile court, on four counts of intoxication manslaughter, for recklessly driving drunk and subsequently ordered him to therapy at a long-term, in-patient facility.

That being said, wasn't just let go, but that is the story the media is living for. They want it to be as outrageous as possible to get people to tune in and make money. Ethan's life is gone now. I don't feel sorry for him much, since he took other people's lives. He didn't set out to do that, but ended up doing it. He was 16 years old at the time.

Lots of deaths on our roadways ALL the time and people that killed others get no time at all. Very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events