Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Congratulations on your $100, that's nice.

As for the last part, you have a better attitude than I do. I think I would be kicking rocks down the street for awhile if I knew that a billion fricken dollars was so close to me, I just went to the wrong store at the wrong time, or right store, wrong time...
Someone recently won $1 million on a ticket bought at my neighborhood grocery store. Sadly, it wasn't me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:30 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Yes I won a couple of hundred last night with about $30 in tickets . I managed to get that power ball number several times .

Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGirl815 View Post
Nope, I won $100 from last nights drawing.

I do know a guy who won $250k from Fantasy 5, then a week later he bought a scratch off and won another $1,000.

One of the big jackpot winners last night bought a ticket in the city I live though! I thought that was pretty cool
The bad thing is those people "think" they are lucky like every ticket they buy will be a winner and the big win gets spent trying to win again!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:52 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I don't know anyone who won a large lottery jackpot, but I do know someone who inherited what is now $500 million or so. To put it simply, he's miserable.
How could he be miserable?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,874,885 times
Don't know anyone who has won

Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
A guy that was a grade ahead of me in school (really small school) won nearly 100 million (perhaps cleared $40M?). I never knew him but we passed by each other every day and had mutual friends. What's weird is that he priviously won two other big prizes of ~30k and ~5k. I'm guessing he was one of those people that spent a ton of money on lottery tickets...maybe one of those 1 in 250 million where it paid off.

Oh and believe it or not...the guy is now an assistant football coach at the high school (small working class town). Don't these lotto winners usually try to disappear? I guess he's taking it head on. Maybe after a few years now people still know he's the richest person in town, but if they also know he's not giving loans, life gets somewhat back to normal. The only thing I might worry about is someone getting the bright idea to rob me, but maybe his house is heavily secured and he'd rather live without fear.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Obviously, this new disease called affluenza can be deadly !
Many people have succumbed to this consumer epidemic of the pursuit of more and more to fulfill the voids in their life!

Quote:
Affluenza, a portmanteau of affluence and influenza, is a term used by critics of consumerism. It is thought to have been first used in 1954[1] but it gained legs as a concept with a 1997 PBS documentary of the same name [2] and the subsequent book, Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic (2001, revised in 2005, 2014). These works define affluenza as "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety, and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza

Old 01-15-2016, 07:46 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
As nice as it might be to win the lottery, I hate that my state is not an anonymous state. I would be scared having my name (easily identifiable, not a Smith or Jones) and face everywhere.

The other day my sister's neighbor was going through the previous winners and they found the neighbor next to them had one a million dollars on a scratch off. He's a nice guy and doesn't make much, so I was glad he won. He decided to take payments and I think he's getting something like 31K/year. It makes sense, because you can't even buy a house around here if you took the lump sum of a million.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
As nice as it might be to win the lottery, I hate that my state is not an anonymous state. I would be scared having my name (easily identifiable, not a Smith or Jones) and face everywhere.

The other day my sister's neighbor was going through the previous winners and they found the neighbor next to them had one a million dollars on a scratch off. He's a nice guy and doesn't make much, so I was glad he won. He decided to take payments and I think he's getting something like 31K/year. It makes sense, because you can't even buy a house around here if you took the lump sum of a million.
Can't you choose to remain anonymous? I don't see how you can be forced to reveal yourself.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Can't you choose to remain anonymous? I don't see how you can be forced to reveal yourself.
Not usually. It depends on your state. I live in Kansas and we can remain anonymous. In states where you cannot remain anonymous, I am guessing when you buy a ticket you are giving your implied consent to have your name publicized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events