Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,768,158 times

Advertisements

I find all of this talk about men keeping their girlfriends in check to be very strange for two reasons. The first is that this is a society where the sexes are supposed to be equal, so it is not a man's place to keep a woman in check, theoretically. The second reason is that although there is a presumption of equality between sexes there is also a presumption that a man should not be violent towards a woman regardless of the circumstances, up to and including cases where a woman is being violent towards a man. In this case a man attacked a guy whose girlfriend spit on him because it is always wrong to be violent towards a woman. But keeping a woman in check would imply some sort of threat of violence or at least physical intimidation. A man has no right to do that to any woman in our culture.

I suppose you could say that even though the guy who was spit on had no right to retaliate towards the woman directly, the woman's boyfriend had the responsibility to keep her in check because she was "his woman" but then you're opening up a whole other can of worms, aren't you?

Humanity has been handling things a certain way for hundreds if not thousands of years but now we have a whole new set of rules, almost overnight. It is often difficult to understand how one is supposed to act in situations regarding gender roles, especially when the use of force may be involved. Yet the penalty for making the wrong choice is often severe and life destroying. We live in interesting times for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM

81 posts, read 106,946 times
If I was the boyfriend, when the train stopped, I would run like hell away from that woman and never look back.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:00 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,768,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
However if a woman is attempting to harm me in some fashion, I would make it clear to the boyfriend he had better get control of her, otherwise I would take it out on him.
Granted the boyfriend was saying chill in a mild voice, but he obviously didn't have what it took to get control of his girlfriend.
I therefore see no problem with the guy laying a whooping on the boyfriend. It is better than raising a hand to a woman. However he took it too far when he stopped punching him, and kicked him while he was still down.

Needless to say these individuals are fairly uncivilized.

`

On the one hand you feel it is your job to beat up men who are violent towards women but on the other hand you believe it is a man's place to keep "his woman in check". Beyond the foolish assumption that there isn't a man on the planet you couldn't take down easily one on one(although isn't that true of every man on the internet?), in order for a man to keep a woman in check there has to be some sort of implied threat of physical dominance and the willingness to use that dominance to enforce your demands. So if he did keep "his woman in check" shouldn't you be taking the guy down anyway?

Old 01-30-2016, 01:48 AM

16,694 posts, read 8,695,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Women can carry knives and firearms. If someone is trying to kick and punch me, I am not taking the chance that after deflecting 5-10 blows they pull out a knife to back up their punches.
(I am more likely to pick someone up and throw them rather than punch, but you still have to stop the threat with self-defense, not just keep blocking blows and hope they do not escalate to a weapon.)

If that woman had a weapon, she likely would have used it well before she resorted to spitting. Regardless, if you think being defensive is more likely to have her eventually pull a weapon, vs. you being offensive against her, you have another thing coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
On the one hand you feel it is your job to beat up men who are violent towards women but on the other hand you believe it is a man's place to keep "his woman in check". Beyond the foolish assumption that there isn't a man on the planet you couldn't take down easily one on one(although isn't that true of every man on the internet?), in order for a man to keep a woman in check there has to be some sort of implied threat of physical dominance and the willingness to use that dominance to enforce your demands. So if he did keep "his woman in check" shouldn't you be taking the guy down anyway?

I never said I would always win the fight, assuming it even became a fight. I merely said punching a woman would result in me and others like me intervening to disengage the attack. Of course I might lose my temper if I see some guy hitting a woman, even a vile one like the one in the video. If that happened the guy might very well be injured.
Not because I am the ultimate male, but at 6'7" 240lbs and MA training, I am certainly capable of injuring someone.

`

Old 01-30-2016, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,068,660 times
Quote:

If that woman had a weapon, she likely would have used it well before she resorted to spitting. Regardless, if you think being defensive is more likely to have her eventually pull a weapon, vs. you being offensive against her, you have another thing coming.

I never said I would always win the fight, assuming it even became a fight. I merely said punching a woman would result in me and others like me intervening to disengage the attack. Of course I might lose my temper if I see some guy hitting a woman, even a vile one like the one in the video. If that happened the guy might very well be injured.
Not because I am the ultimate male, but at 6'7" 240lbs and MA training, I am certainly capable of injuring someone.

`
I've read your responses so far and have waited until now to respond as I wanted to gather my thoughts on this.
I certainly respect your opinion though I want to correct you on a couple of things. You've said you're "hard wired this way, this was how you were raised" to which I say no, you CHOOSE to react this way operating on old information.
You are an adult who makes his own choices good or bad.

Secondly, I agree that some people need protecting from the violence of others, in this case I'd say it was the husband as he had NOTHING to do with what "his woman" (what a disgusting,demeaning term) did.

Women have changed over the years. There was a time when women would never use such base,rude,disgusting or vile behavior (at least in public) and would use a sharp word or intense look at the offender, then move on to cackle among her friends later on. A man would NEVER raise a hand to a woman (in public) back then nor would they EVER speak to a woman publicly as they freely speak to and about women today.
I was raised to not hit women BUT I also grew up with an abusive step monster among other "women" who were not afraid to visit violence upon a male (one of which was this amazon like girl in middle school who was a bully).
I modified my opinion (after dodging a frying pan to my head from dear step monster) to be "if a woman wants to "act like a man" and visit violence upon me she will get treated to the level of violence she is giving.
To go to the base,most crude level, "just because someone has boobs and other female anatomy does not give them free reign to do as they wish to a man and walk away". You're equal enough to be on the front lines of battle, equal enough to stand at the head of a board room, equal enough to stand shoulder to shoulder fighting fires,fighting crooks etc then expect to behave and be treated equal to those you are standing shoulder to shoulder with.

Look at it this way, you say you're MA trained right? If faced with a woman who was also MA trained who willingly put herself in a competition would you pull your punches,take the whooping and lose just because it was a woman opponent?
Same thing in life today.
You cannot act like "a man" then hide behind your boobs when it goes badly for you.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:50 PM

10,369 posts, read 8,613,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Women can carry knives and firearms. If someone is trying to kick and punch me, I am not taking the chance that after deflecting 5-10 blows they pull out a knife to back up their punches.
(I am more likely to pick someone up and throw them rather than punch, but you still have to stop the threat with self-defense, not just keep blocking blows and hope they do not escalate to a weapon.)
I agree. If all you do is deflect blows and don't hit back, it would tend to actually encourage them to continue with violence since they are not getting hurt themselves and figure they are safe to continue.
Just based on her personality, it wouldn't be so far out of line that she had a weapon that she hadn't pulled out yet.
Looking back at that video I sure felt bad for her boyfriend. He just didn't get hit once, but was beaten down over and over.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,154,762 times
I think the boyfriend needs a new girlfriend.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM

273 posts, read 202,063 times
I would have just hit the b****. I don't care if she's a female, if someone gets ugly like that to me, I strike back.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,227,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I think the boyfriend needs a new girlfriend.
He probably can't do better than her. Which is probably why he's with her in the first place.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,645,495 times
Quote:

Get with the times. Women are more aggressive today than they were in 1950s or whatever decade you grew up in. Did your mother told you not to hit back or was it your father who had to ask your mother if it was okay to spend more than $20?

Only when they get smack upside their head, they get brought back to reality..."I'm a woman, How dare you? I'm helpless, help me somebody help me" Then here come some idiot falling right into the woman's trap, "that's a female" and starts beating up the male while the woman quietly makes her exit. This isn't Super Mario Bros. You aren't getting a kiss for saving the princess who put herself in that predicament in the first place.

I don't care what your gender is. You don't want to get hit, don't get up in people faces. This isn't the case of an abusive relationship. This is some entitled brat getting angry because no one isn't bowing down to her.

You don't enter a cage with a lion and expect to walk away with no scratches. If a 10 year old attacks you, are you going to take it, because he's weaker than you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events