Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,053,765 times

Advertisements

Parents: Hospital performed surgery on wrong baby - CNN.com

Crazy stuff. This is why they put the little bands with barcodes on every baby, so this kind of crap doesn't happen!!! Un-be-frickin'-lievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,697,992 times
I understand mistakes happen, but no safeguard to prevent this with babies? They will put something into place now, but that doesn't help this situation. They should have been proactive and done it years ago.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,053,638 times
This is why they have malpractice insurance. Humans aren't infallible. Mistakes like this are bound to happen on occasion. People like to think doctors are like God (and some doctors think that of themselves), but they're not. They make mistakes.

I would be upset if it was my baby, too, but you have to think rationally about it at the same time. Mistakes happen, they always will. You of course don't want it to happen to you or your family, but they're bound to eventually happen to someone. A hospital screwed up a diagnostic procedure on my dad and it could have ended very badly if we didn't catch it and go somewhere else for another opinion. We probably could have sued, but we didn't. Instead, we refused to pay the portion of the bill insurance wouldn't cover for that test.

I think a lawsuit is kind of dramatic unless in the case of death or injury. The baby's not injured as far as they currently know. He may be fine, frenulectomy's may have negative side effects and they may not. I feel like if the baby is already suffering negative effects, the family and article would have mentioned it. I've read multiple articles on this just to see, and they all say something like "he may have eating or speech problems; they took my healthy, beautiful baby and cut him." They'll see as the baby grows up what will happen because of it, if anything at all. I wonder if it's possible for them to wait to file a suit until the kid grows up, to see whether or not he has any negative effects like speech problems. It doesn't say they're suing for sure, but they have an attorney, perhaps they're weighing their options.

I hope they wait. This very well can turn out to be no big deal. The baby won't remember it. He will grow up always remembering his tongue being that way. It's more traumatizing for the parents than anything. But I'm sure a payday sounds nice for mom and dad and even if the kid grows up completely normal with no effects from the procedure and obviously no memory of it, they probably still won't regret it.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This is why they have malpractice insurance. Humans aren't infallible. Mistakes like this are bound to happen on occasion. People like to think doctors are like God (and some doctors think that of themselves), but they're not. They make mistakes.

I would be upset if it was my baby, too, but you have to think rationally about it at the same time. Mistakes happen, they always will. You of course don't want it to happen to you or your family, but they're bound to eventually happen to someone. A hospital screwed up a diagnostic procedure on my dad and it could have ended very badly if we didn't catch it and go somewhere else for another opinion. We probably could have sued, but we didn't. Instead, we refused to pay the portion of the bill insurance wouldn't cover for that test.

I think a lawsuit is kind of dramatic unless in the case of death or injury. The baby's not injured as far as they currently know. He may be fine, frenulectomy's may have negative side effects and they may not. I feel like if the baby is already suffering negative effects, the family and article would have mentioned it. I've read multiple articles on this just to see, and they all say something like "he may have eating or speech problems; they took my healthy, beautiful baby and cut him." They'll see as the baby grows up what will happen because of it, if anything at all. I wonder if it's possible for them to wait to file a suit until the kid grows up, to see whether or not he has any negative effects like speech problems. It doesn't say they're suing for sure, but they have an attorney, perhaps they're weighing their options.

I hope they wait. This very well can turn out to be no big deal. The baby won't remember it. He will grow up always remembering his tongue being that way. It's more traumatizing for the parents than anything. But I'm sure a payday sounds nice for mom and dad and even if the kid grows up completely normal with no effects from the procedure and obviously no memory of it, they probably still won't regret it.
First off, not everyone thinks that doctors are Gods. I used to work at UCLA Medical Center and while some were very impressive, some were more ego than talent.

Second, try reading the article. The baby boy may have issues in regards to being able to speaking and swallowing. You just don't sue because a death is involved or someone is left in a wheelchair. If this child has speech issues that's going to cost big bucks, someone needs to pay up.

And I highly doubt if when you're older and you wake up from hip surgery and found they did the wrong hip, you wouldn't be screaming lawyer.

Mistakes like this are ridiculous.

The parents have every right to be upset, real easy to say how you would react when you're not in the situation.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
First off, not everyone thinks that doctors are Gods. I used to work at UCLA Medical Center and while some were very impressive, some were more ego than talent.
I didn't say that everyone does. I certainly don't. I agree that some doctors are very egotistical.

Quote:
Second, try reading the article. The baby boy may have issues in regards to being able to speaking and swallowing. You just don't sue because a death is involved or someone is left in a wheelchair. If this child has speech issues that's going to cost big bucks, someone needs to pay up.
Uhh, how about you try reading my post?? Not only did I read this article, but I googled this incident and read several others. I addressed the fact that the baby may have issues, but he also may not. He may be totally fine. So IMO parents should hold off on any suits until they know for sure. The best they can currently come up with is "he may have difficulty eating or swallowing, my poor beautiful baby was cut for no reason." Yeah, it sucks. I totally agree. Awful mistake. Shouldn't have happened. But it's not like this kid is maimed or visibly deformed or left in severe pain or missing limbs. He's missing a tongue frenulum. It was cut. Some people are born without one. He had his cut when he shouldn't have. They'll have to see what, if anything, happens to him because of it but as of now he's probably fine because I'm sure the parents wouldn't have hesitated to tell every journalist they spoke to if he wasn't. And they didn't.

Quote:
And I highly doubt if when you're older and you wake up from hip surgery and found they did the wrong hip, you wouldn't be screaming lawyer.
I would, because doing the wrong hip still leaves damage to my other hip and new unnecessary pain to the formerly normal one. Again, this kid is yet to have any negative consequences, and many never have them. He will never know the difference anyway, as he was a newborn when it happened. To him, it will be like having been born without a frenulum. It's like circumcising a newborn.

Quote:
Mistakes like this are ridiculous.
Yeah, they shouldn't happen. But unfortunately sometimes they do.

Quote:
The parents have every right to be upset, real easy to say how you would react when you're not in the situation.
Yeah, I acknowledged that. I also said I would be upset, too, and shared a story in which doctors screwed up a test on my dad. Yeah, I don't think you read my post...

Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 PM

These poor parents are overwhelmed with both anger and anxiety.

They have every right to feel this way. This little boy could have some serious issues.

The hospital won't even name the doctor. It's like the cops, they screw up and they cover up.

You seem to not get he could have speech and swallowing issues. If the parents don't act now and down the road there are problems, they will be told "oh this must be related to something else".

They're smart to be proactive. That's what you do in cases like this.

I hope he is totally OK, but if he isn't you get the safeguards in place now before he even leaves that hospital.

I know from my own work experience how quickly a medical facility will try and get itself off the hook if you don't address, document, and yes file a lawsuit while the issue is fresh. I saw it firsthand.

That's why they're doing it, this isn't a "wait and see" scenario.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
These poor parents are overwhelmed with both anger and anxiety.

They have every right to feel this way. This little boy could have some serious issues.

The hospital won't even name the doctor. It's like the cops, they screw up and they cover up.

You seem to not get he could have speech and swallowing issues. If the parents don't act now and down the road there are problems, they will be told "oh this must be related to something else".

They're smart to be proactive. That's what you do in cases like this.

I hope he is totally OK, but if he isn't you get the safeguards in place now before he even leaves that hospital.

I know from my own work experience how quickly a medical facility will try and get itself off the hook if you don't address, document, and yes file a lawsuit while the issue is fresh. I saw it firsthand.

That's why they're doing it, this isn't a "wait and see" scenario.
Seriously? Are you reading what I'm typing? I DO get it. But he COULD have speech and eating issues. It's not definite. They will find out as he gets older. As of now it seems he is fine, otherwise, again, they would have mentioned it. He could also be totally fine when he grows up, as many people who are born without frenulums are.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:36 PM

21,289 posts, read 19,911,600 times
At my hospital, the baby stays in the same room as the mother.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Seriously? Are you reading what I'm typing? I DO get it. But he COULD have speech and eating issues. It's not definite. They will find out as he gets older. As of now it seems he is fine, otherwise, again, they would have mentioned it. He could also be totally fine when he grows up, as many people who are born without frenulums are.

You're questioning as to why the parents are going to file a lawsuit. I'm telling you they're doing this as a safety precaution.

That's what you're not getting.

You don't do a "wait and see" and than if problems develop later try and sue the hospital, because they will be told his issues could be from something else.

Look, I'm sure we both hope the little boy will be fine.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,550,045 times
Surgery?
It's like a two second snip snip office procedure.

"It's recklessness. There's no excuse for cutting on a healthy child."

Wonder if they had him circumcised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events