Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 06:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,994,913 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with the grandparents here? Why was the gun not placed in a toddler proof place?

3-year-old accidentally shoots 9-year-old sister in head, police say | Local News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,559,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What is wrong with the parents here? Why was the gun not placed in a toddler proof place?

3-year-old accidentally shoots 9-year-old sister in head, police say | Local News - Home
Reading the article would have shown you it was the grandfather's gun left ready-to-rip on a nightstand.

The actual shooting was accidental; the events making it possible, not necessarily so.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,922,286 times
And things like this will continue to happen as long as adults that own firearms leave them out, loaded and accessible to children.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM

29,540 posts, read 22,845,697 times
Another day, yet another irresponsible gun owner.

Don't these people know better than to leave a loaded gun easily accessible like that, ESPECIALLY with very young kids around?

Christ.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
I love how the local police call it "a tragic accident", no accountability at all.

Of course it is in Alabama.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,994,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Reading the article would have shown you it was the grandfather's gun left ready-to-rip on a nightstand.

The actual shooting was accidental; the events making it possible, not necessarily so.
I updated my comment to reflect the grandparents. Though it doesn't matter much, it was careless in the part of the adults. Why is there a loaded gun in a place where a kid could easily reach.

My parents kept a rifle under their bed as long as I can remember. I still have no idea where the bullets are.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:19 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,969,479 times
It is criminal negligence on the part of the grandparents.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,867,673 times
Quote:
Irondale police Chief Ken Atkinson tells AL.com that the shooting took place Saturday afternoon at their grandparents' house in a Birmingham suburb.

He says the grandfather had left a loaded pistol on a bedroom nightstand, where the boy found it.
Unless you're Jason Bourne or running a Mexican drug cartel, you don't need a loaded firearm next to you when you sleep. And Pops in podunk Alabama is neither - he's just some fool who couldn't figure out the glaringly obvious fact that leaving a loaded gun in a house with children is 100x more likely to result in a dead child than it is to be used to protect anyone.

I don't mind when the gun-obsessed blow themselves away - in fact, I salute their service to the gene pool by removing themselves from it. But it pisses me off to no end when their fixation leads to children being hurt!

Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is criminal negligence on the part of the grandparents.
Police Chief Ken Atkinson called it a "tragic accident", so they get a pass.

No accountability.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,389,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Police Chief Ken Atkinson called it a "tragic accident", so they get a pass.

No accountability.
NOW, THIS is exactly my biggest BEEF!! IF An American has the legal RIGHT to own/Possess a firearm..WHY in the He$$'s Be$$'s are they not held accountable when that weapon is NOT secured away from minors???

Make these folks so careless..and ignorant that they do NOT protect their youngsters...Ohhh wait..these same folks vote always to protect "Life"..yet daily living with lethal weapons don't believe it's their responsibility to PROTECT LIFE!!

This and so many cases like this happens far too often!! ..But LE always says..Accident..thus no accountability...BUT those same folks owned a CAR...and gave same access to it..and kid caused a death..YEP..charges would be immediate !! Why..because their's laws in place!!

Now no doubt in some States..who preach LIFE, yet live day to day putting life into danger..feel very different...It then becomes for some unknown reason..My RIGHT???????????? to Live how I want to live..and If their kids/grandkids get into "Stuff"..it's ALL OF A SUDDEN an accident!!!! Gees!!

It's become more and more apparent..an infant's life is only important until they are born...then it's disregarded as a drain on the economy..SMH!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events