Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:24 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
That would still make me smarter than the meter maid. Given the way the "violator" was acting, do you think she would have left her own personal vehicle unattended there?

And you should consider this: If parking is in such high demand there that those spots have to be metered/enforced, why did the meter maid occupy a spot herself? Do you suppose she fed the meter?
So, the meter enforcement officer is supposed to sit there and wait for the obnoxious woman to leave? I don't think so .

City vehicles are generally exempt from paying for parking meters ( as are handicap people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:25 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
The police officers are the ones who's job it is to arrest people... which they will probably be doing at a later date.
I'm not suggesting she arrest the driver. I suggested she block her in and call the police or at least follow her while on the phone with the police. The driver's car was still licensed to the previous owner as it was recently purchased. This is why they are now searching for this woman. Would not have happened had the parking officer done as I suggested.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm not suggesting she arrest the driver. I suggested she block her in and call the police or at least follow her while on the phone with the police. The driver's car was still licensed to the previous owner as it was recently purchased. This is why they are now searching for this woman. Would not have happened had the parking officer done as I suggested.
Yeah, that probably would have worked, although I'm betting the officer was probably non-plussed at the situation and probably had not been trained for this kind of situation. I'd guess it is pretty much a one-off for this type of thing to happen.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:02 PM

Parking officers put up with a lot of crap, I'm pretty sure she would know how to handle it. But who knows? Maybe the policy is to let the driver go rather than escalate.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Why did the parking ticket officer allow her to simply drive away?
Because she has a copy of the ticket she wrote with the license plate number on it.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Because she has a copy of the ticket she wrote with the license plate number on it.
Again the car was recently purchased and the tag belonged to the previous owner.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:35 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This isn't rocket science. You pay to park at a designated area. You put in the correct amount of money for the amount of time you are going to be there. If your time of parking goes over the amount of money you put in the meter you can get a ticket. You pay the ticket and move on with your life. Acting like a spoiled child and keying a car is going to get you in more trouble.
Maybe so, but being passive and simply allowing the government to rape you at every turn is only going to embolden them to do it more(i.e. red light cameras). Parking meters are necessary in some congested cities, I get that. But in a lot of areas they're nothing more than a racket designed to make money for the city, et. al.

Somehow they never have the resources to investigate real crimes, but never a shortage of meter maids. What the woman did was wrong, but I can understand her frustration.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,695 times
Quote:
Maybe so, but being passive and simply allowing the government to rape you at every turn is only going to embolden them to do it more(i.e. red light cameras). Parking meters are necessary in some congested cities, I get that. But in a lot of areas they're nothing more than a racket designed to make money for the city, et. al.

Somehow they never have the resources to investigate real crimes, but never a shortage of meter maids. What the woman did was wrong, but I can understand her frustration.
Getting a parking ticket for allowing your meter to expire is what happened. It's not like she was in the right. She didn't put enough money in the meter for the amount of time she was parked.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Getting a parking ticket for allowing your meter to expire is what happened. It's not like she was in the right. She didn't put enough money in the meter for the amount of time she was parked.
Well, again, I acknowledge that her reaction was wrong, but there's a bigger picture here. Is it fair to charge someone $30 because they were 5 minutes late with a quarter? Is there a legitimate reason for those spots to be metered to begin with? Honestly, if the meter maid can comfortably leave her vehicle there for 20+ minutes (unpaid), without any adverse impact on traffic/parking, why is it metered at all?

Old 03-09-2016, 05:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Quote:
Well, again, I acknowledge that her reaction was wrong, but there's a bigger picture here. Is it fair to charge someone $30 because they were 5 minutes late with a quarter? Is there a legitimate reason for those spots to be metered to begin with? Honestly, if the meter maid can comfortably leave her vehicle there for 20+ minutes (unpaid), without any adverse impact on traffic/parking, why is it metered at all?
Read what you wrote <bold> and you'll have the answer to why meters are used. Now if you want to discuss the amount of the fines, depending on the city you might have an argument about fair or not.

In large cities I can see why the fines would need to be higher than the cost to park in a lot for the day or people would just take the fine vs paying for proper parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events