Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

A Judge Just Declared This Baby's Name Illegal

Names of children were to be "Cyanide" and "Preacher." Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:05 PM

953 posts, read 842,702 times

Come on, parents ... show how much you really care and consider the following.

In a family with three children, why not go with Cyanide, Arsenic and Strychnine?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:11 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
I hate it when parents do this.
I had a high school friend who's father named him Karl Marx. Thankfully, his mother crossed out the second name on his birth certificate before she signed it. She had to go with Karl, because she had already talked her husband out of Joseph Stalin as the name.

Here in Idaho, an adult whose given name was Marvin Richardson had his name legally changed to Right To Life. No more Marvin, no more Richardson. He's been running for some office or other for 30 years now, and always gets 1/2% to 1% of the vote.

There's nothing new about stupid baby names. During the English Reformation war, one of Cromwells leading generals was a guy named JesusChristOurLordAndSavior Barebones. His younger brother, also a general, was named PraiseGod Barebones. You would think anyone who was already stuck with Barebones as a last name would know better.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,033 times
I prefer "Ricin" to "Cyanide." Much prettier flow.

Plus the playground kiddies can nick-name you Ricey Dicey.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:28 PM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Thankfully, his mother crossed out the second name on his birth certificate before she signed it.
Not totally on topic but we planned to legally give one of our sons the name "Andrew" (so as to follow the Jewish custom of naming after a deceased relative) but to call him "Drew." My mother kept on asking "how's Andrew?" I told her that one more time and I'd legally change the name.

When she did I went to the hospital, where the name card still was, and manually used "blue-out" and took off the "An," legally changing his name. The card was not yet a public document since it hadn't been turned over to the applicable Town or City Clerk for filing so alteration was still perfectly legal.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
This happened in Wales. The mom is mentally ill and the twins were a product of rape. Thank goodness, someone said 'no'. We should have an overseer of names here along with a spell checker to help those unable to correctly spell their children's names.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM

569 posts, read 552,093 times
I named my pets, Sapethia & Cicard, respectively.

Sapethia was a girl cocktail. Cicard was a female kitten. Where were all the boys gone?

Sapethia had two red cheeks, and her baby beaks seemed always smiling. And since it was a flyer, so she must loved shopping around.

Cicard meant a white western cardboard paper to me, and that was my feelings at the time.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:29 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post

Come on, parents ... show how much you really care and consider the following.

In a family with three children, why not go with Cyanide, Arsenic and Strychnine?

Right! "Cyanide" and "Preacher" just do not go well together!

I agree with Cyanide, Arsenic and Strychnine. White Oleander, might be another.

"Preacher" deserves siblings named "Minister" "Pastor" "Deacon" and "Elder". Other ideas "Priest" and "Rabbi"

smh

Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Preacher doesn't seem that odd. Deacon is a real name in current use (one of Reese Witherspoon's kids is a boy named Deacon, it's a traditional given name). Booker, Hunter, Archer, Miller, Judge, etc. are all traditional given names. Preacher sounds fine to me.

Cyanide's too much, though. Why not name your child Speedmetal at that rate?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:38 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,578 times
Could of named the girl Cyan with a middle name of Ide and might of been able to pass it.

Preacher could be a cool name......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events