Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times

Advertisements

I suffered from severe postpartum depression which led me to be suicidal. I never thought about hurting my child, thankfully. But, it's a very real thing. I swore it would not happen to me. I wouldn't "let" it. But it did, so I can have some empathy for this woman. It's still horrific what she did. And it's a damn shame that she didn't get the help she needed before doing something so horrible to her children.

I don't know if she was let off easy or not. I assume the judge and legal counsel knew the extenuating circumstances. Her doctors probably had information that we the public don't possess. If she truly was going through postpartum psychosis then I feel very sorry for her. I feel sorrier for her innocent, dead children. But I still have some sympathy for her, as well.

My usual belief is that people who harm children have no redeemable qualities. But a mother who is affected by postpartum issues is different from someone who has malicious intent. I think it's one of those things that might be impossible to understand unless you've experienced this. I haven't experienced what she did, either. But the postpartum depression is pretty clear in my mind even after 26 years. I lost all sense of myself and who I really was. It was terrifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Did you miss the concurrent part? Two eight year sentences served concurrently equals eight years, 50% of eight is 4 years. You can call it whatever you want, when a person intentionally kills people that is murder and some BS about being depressed should not be a valid excuse. I only hope that someone in prison hands out the appropriate punishment for killing two kids in cold blood. If I was the father, she would already be taking a long dirt nap.
Wow you are one hate filled person. Yes I did miss it, no need to snarky, I was just asking. Im not really up on my prison sentencing.
For someone who is, you would think they would know the difference in manslaughter and murder. Apparently postpartum psychosis is a real thing like other mental illness so therefore there was no premeditation or intent.
I dont know what the truth is. The jury and judge were presented the facts and made their determination. I do think 4 years may be a little lean. I glad I'm not a judge.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,139 times
I think she got off too harsh by the system. True post-partum psychoses is hell on earth. And you said she had that. Crippling undiagnosed postpartum psychosis. She will have to live with what she did for the rest of her life-in my viwe punishment enough. PP Psychoses is so frightening because your whole sense of reality is gone.

I had bad PP anxiety which turned into PP depression after 5 months of me trying natural methods. What I experienced was terrible but I did not have psychoses. Read about psychoses, it is just the worst. Your mind loses all reference points. This is what people have when they think they are Jesus or Mary Magdalene and try and kill people or do strange things because they no longer have any reality references when they are in that state. The mind takes over and goes whatever direction it is deluded towards.

Many caregivers and doctors are not trained to see it in a new Mom and so they leave the baby alone with the Mom. we have to have better screening tools. It is so horrifying to me that as a society we can be so backwards when it comes to mental health. People read the headlines and think someone is getting off easy for some horrible mental illness someone experienced. I can tell that the OP has never had a loved one or relative with severe mental illness and they are damn lucky because of that.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM

105 posts, read 118,955 times
You know, it certainly is very convenient that whenever a woman does something heinous and cruel/evil they ALWAYS have some kind of mental excuse, and gain sympathy. A woman can never just be bad or evil they always have to have some other "factor" for why they did what they did and need help not punishment. Funny how men don't get the same privilege of blaming their evil acts on "mental illness" "depression" etc. etc.

People like Hitler, Stalin, Mao...They were all just suffering from some mental illness and we should all understand and cut them some slack.

And don't forget Elizabeth Báthory, she is responsible for killing hundreds of young women but...she was most certainly depressed for some reason so she doesn't deserve the scorn she gets from people.

Must be quite nice being a woman, do something real evil that would get a man 25 years to life if not executed, cry a bunch and say you are just really depressed and you are vindicated from responsibility!

Old 05-18-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
The sentences run concurrently, in reality she will only serve about 4 years. 4 years in prison for murdering two children is a sick joke. If there is a God, this woman will not make it out of prison alive.
I highly take offense at what you are saying. Are you male? Have you any idea what it is like to bear a child? There is no punishment so harsh as having done this to your children in a psychotic state. She will become aware at some point and know what she did and that realization will be hell on earth. For you to suggest that someone killing her in prison because of God's wishes is sick and wrong.

She will never be free of what she did for the rest of her life. If you like cruelty you should wish her a long life.

Revengeful thinking and small mindedness is what is killing this nation-people like you.

What she did was terrible, imagine doing that to your loved one and not even knowing what you did till later. This woman deserves pity.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:23 PM

After I had PP anxiety and depression I became a call volunteer for PP depression. 1% of women experience this total loss of reality-PP psychoses. it is horrible and if you ever see a new mom who seems to be not into her baby, disinterested, you should note and get that woman help and never let her be around the baby alone because she will either kill the baby or herself. It is so hard though to get people to pay attention. We run around with expectations and think "oh well how can we be here with her, she knew that she would be alone and so if she is down and no friends around she will just bounce back somehow". NO! Psychoses is a game changer. Emergency mode has to go into effect. Most women after the pregnancy and birth trigger the psychoses have to be on meds for life and they recommend NO more children for her. Andrea Yates husband ignored the Doctor when he was told that. See how it worked out for that couple.

One of the most famous cases is this woman Melanie Stokes, she killed herself.
Melanie's Story

No one in society wants to see these women but they all want to blame her. While some person wastes 10 hours a day writing useless comments on the internet someone somewhere needs some help.

I talked to about a hundred women about their birth experiences and things are not always nice and neat like society expects, there are horror stories out there and women need support not derision.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
That verdict is crazy. If a man had done it, he'd probably get the needle. This is what you get from stupid liberals in Austin.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:37 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
You know, it certainly is very convenient that whenever a woman does something heinous and cruel/evil they ALWAYS have some kind of mental excuse, and gain sympathy. A woman can never just be bad or evil they always have to have some other "factor" for why they did what they did and need help not punishment. Funny how men don't get the same privilege of blaming their evil acts on "mental illness" "depression" etc. etc.

People like Hitler, Stalin, Mao...They were all just suffering from some mental illness and we should all understand and cut them some slack.

And don't forget Elizabeth Báthory, she is responsible for killing hundreds of young women but...she was most certainly depressed for some reason so she doesn't deserve the scorn she gets from people.

Must be quite nice being a woman, do something real evil that would get a man 25 years to life if not executed, cry a bunch and say you are just really depressed and you are vindicated from responsibility!

There's a dramatic drop in estrogen and progesterone after childbirth, leading to postpartum depression. There are hormones that the thyroid produces that also decrease radically. These hormone imbalances along with sleep deprivation, anxiety, etc. can cause all sorts of very real problems for a new mother. It's truly not a convenient excuse for women to do bad things. By all accounts, this woman was known to be a good teacher and decent person. It's unlikely that she was evil but hid it thoroughly. It's definitely more likely that she truly did have postpartum psychosis. I'm sure there are some women who do bad things and use depression as an excuse. But I would wager there are a lot more who truly are suffering from postpartum issues. It's very painful to go through.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:42 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
It is like there is a different judicial system for women. Female pedophiles basically only get community service and kill some kids...they'll be out within 10 to 15 years. It's really ridiculous. You do the crime, you do hard time regardless of sex.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I suffered from severe postpartum depression which led me to be suicidal. I never thought about hurting my child, thankfully. But, it's a very real thing. I swore it would not happen to me. I wouldn't "let" it. But it did, so I can have some empathy for this woman. It's still horrific what she did. And it's a damn shame that she didn't get the help she needed before doing something so horrible to her children.

I don't know if she was let off easy or not. I assume the judge and legal counsel knew the extenuating circumstances. Her doctors probably had information that we the public don't possess. If she truly was going through postpartum psychosis then I feel very sorry for her. I feel sorrier for her innocent, dead children. But I still have some sympathy for her, as well.

My usual belief is that people who harm children have no redeemable qualities. But a mother who is affected by postpartum issues is different from someone who has malicious intent. I think it's one of those things that might be impossible to understand unless you've experienced this. I haven't experienced what she did, either. But the postpartum depression is pretty clear in my mind even after 26 years. I lost all sense of myself and who I really was. It was terrifying.
Meh...I don't buy that. There are plenty of people that are afflicted that don't plan and execute a brutal murder of their children. This lady should have two life sentences. The fact she'll probably be out in 10 years is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events