Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,403,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It's not a money grab. It is earmarked for universal pre-K, a top priority of the new mayor's campaign. He won handily, taking 85% of the vote. It seems non-Philadelphians aren't interested in reading beyond the headline.
I'm a teacher and universal kinder is very important, but it should be funded through different taxes.

Just look at how poorly the funding for lottery programs went in places it passed. Soda sales are on the decline everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,403,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
To many of us Philadelphians, having universal kindergarten and upgrades to our extensive rec centers, most of which need it, is hardly a joke and is about the health of our community. Although from where you sit it doesn't look that way.
I think there are much better ways to accomplish this, and it doesn't include a tax on soda.

What happens when the money starts to run out? I teach in Texas and we have huge cuts in funding right now. Let's check back in a decade and see how much funding the schools get, as cities are notorious for funneling funds into other areas.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-19-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,487,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, and red meat, eggs, non-organic chicken, margarine, butter, corn syrup (no more pecan pie), pie and cake while we are at it, canola oil, farm raised salmon, and what else is currently declared to be "not good for you to eat"? Oh yes, don't forget coffee.

It's not the government's job to tell me what I can and can not eat. The "things that are bad for you" list changes every year and what was bad this year might be good next year.

Didn't the American revolution start over a tax on tea?

And we actually started our own country to get away from a dictatorial King. Look at us now. We exchanged one king for thousands. We still insist that we're free.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:35 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Goodness - all this reaction! I guess folks love them some Coca-Cola.

Some nasty stuff too not to mention REALLY bad for you but carry on.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,211,415 times
Excuse me....a "soda" is a glass of pop with a scoop of ice cream in it. It gets taxed most places because it is a dessert item.

And incidently, pop, diet or otherwise, is taxed just like food most places I've been.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 06-19-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 06:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,211,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
And we actually started our own country to get away from a dictatorial King. Look at us now. We exchanged one king for thousands. We still insist that we're free.

One (or two, maybe three) Kings but a much larger "court" than in the olden days.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM

193 posts, read 205,266 times
I've lived in Philadelphia for fourteen years and I'm 100% in favor of the soda tax. The 1.5% -per-ounce tax will fund pre-kindergarten, community schools, parks and recreation centers--all public services in great need of additional revenue. Unlike other cities/states, there is no tax on groceries, clothing, or shoes in Pennsylvania, so it won't kill me to pay a little extra for soft drinks if it will help kids get a better start in life. This is a big win for Mayor Kenny---expect other cities to follow Philly's lead--and soon!

Old 06-19-2016, 08:00 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,023,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
This is a big win for Mayor Kenny---expect other cities to follow Philly's lead--and soon!
Yup, unfortunately they will. Thankfully, Seattle's proposed bill fell and fell hard.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,199,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Soda sales are on the decline everywhere.
Now that is true but on the other hand sales of energy drinks such as Rockstar and Red Bull are doing well. I dont think its all about one trying to be healthy as if it were I would imagine that Red Bull wouldn't be as popular as it is now.. Pretty much with cigarettes. Sales are down there as well but not when it comes to cigars and those e-smokes. Enough that the FDA will start regulating them in August. Those doing the e-cig thing or those millennials or anyone else paying big bucks for an Asylum 13 cigar and visiting a cigar lounge or those who are into smoking cheap Black & Mild, Swisher Sweets or Punch cigars whether its for poker games or when they are on the golf course may be in for a very rude surprise come August.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,778,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I'm a teacher and universal kinder is very important, but it should be funded through different taxes.

Just look at how poorly the funding for lottery programs went in places it passed. Soda sales are on the decline everywhere.
Just info....PA's lottery system mostly benefits PA's senior citizens. It has allowed seniors to ride free on public tranportation in Phila. for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events