Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 01:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
It's kind of a dick move but I also see the theaters point of view, people file these dumbass lawsuits after every tragedy, looking to get money for something, anything. The theater certainly couldn't have reasonably foreseen some psycho shooting up the place.

Wha people seem to have trouble accepting in the U.S. is that terrible stuff sometimes happens and it isn't the fault of the closest immediate entity with the deepest pockets. As a society we've become absurdly sue-happy.

People are acting like Paulie in Goodfellas.

"You owe me money, something terrible happened and in my view you were indirectly responsible."

"Well, we're just a movie theater, we had nothing to do with this tragedy."

"**** you, pay me."
Yep, this is the main problem.

Those families shouldn't have sued the theatre. I don't think the theatre is in the wrong for wanting to recoup the fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 01:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Its legally acceptable to ask the courts to order payment for legal fees.

Check you state and federal rules . they do vary.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:50 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
If they win, I hope they reduce the price of popcorn.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So it's okay for people to sue the theater because they figure the theater has deep pockets, so it's then okay for them to spend tons of money on legal fees? I bet if you were a business owner and someone tried to sue you because they figured they could get some money out of you, not because it was really your fault, you wouldn't feel the same way.
no, and I thought I made that clear, I'm glad they lost, and I understand the theatre has "the right" to sue to recoup costs, I personally think because of who it is, and the the situation they did it in the first place, that its in such "bad taste" and they should have just let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup. If you actually listen to the plaintiffs' argument at trial they're at fault because they didn't have CCTV cameras everywhere, armed security on site, and armed patrols on the exterior. That's more security than I see going into secure facilities like courthouses. I've certainly never been to a movie theater which had armed security patrolling both the interior and exterior of the building. Maybe there's an armed security guard out front if it's a bad neighborhood, not that one armed security guard would really have mattered. He walked up and presented a ticket.

You'd really need to have something like TSA screening or what you get going into secure state buildings. That's completely unreasonable. If they had that, no one would go to that theater. They'd go elsewhere as tacking off your belt, watch, emptying pockets is a hassle. We grudgingly tolerate it going into certain secure government buildings like courthouses or when flying. That' doesn't mean we'd tolerate it to go to a movie theater or grocery store or restaurant or the mall.
I couldn't tell you how long, (at least the last year), but my local theatre and grocery store both have uniformed police officers out front by the entrance. Not always, but every day at night.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:13 PM

805 posts, read 539,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
the next time someone has a legitimate case for negligence, they'll still think twice about whether or not to act.
Maybe, but I think the real take-away on this is that if you are being pressured by some greedy lawyer to make a frivilous law suit, you should be aware that there are real costs to loosing.

This was a such a bogus lawsuit. Like every theatre in the country should have a SWAT team on hand for all showings, in case a crazy person decides to start blowing people up? Gimme a break! That lawsuit was sheer greed, and the theatre was right to sue for damages.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:35 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I couldn't tell you how long, (at least the last year), but my local theatre and grocery store both have uniformed police officers out front by the entrance. Not always, but every day at night.
And you haven't left yet? Got to be pretty bad if the merchant is paying for a uniformed police officer to just stand around in front of the grocery store.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yahoo!

I think this is complete crap. I didn't agree that the victims should be suing the theatre because they didn't have enough security; you can't plan for a psychotic gunman to be out to kill people everywhere you go, but personally, this is just scum of the gene pool LOW.. I hope people start boycotting this theatre because of this move. They should be happy they won, and let everyone move on with there lives.
So it is just fine for families of the victims to sue a business and cost that business thousands of dollars?
Why didn't the families of the victims sue the shooters families?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
Quote:
It's kind of a dick move but I also see the theaters point of view, people file these dumbass lawsuits after every tragedy, looking to get money for something, anything. The theater certainly couldn't have reasonably foreseen some psycho shooting up the place.

What people seem to have trouble accepting in the U.S. is that terrible stuff sometimes happens and it isn't the fault of the closest immediate entity with the deepest pockets. As a society we've become absurdly sue-happy.

"You owe me money, something terrible happened and in my view you were indirectly responsible."

"**** you, pay me."

Agreed. And good for the theater for counter suing. Disgusting how these events happen and all the families can think about is profiting off of it.

It simply isn't economical to walk through a weapons detector and be patted down everywhere, Walmart, church, county fair, etc. Some events are just acts of God.

Countersue and win.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:02 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:

What people seem to have trouble accepting in the U.S. is that terrible stuff sometimes happens and it isn't the fault of the closest immediate entity with the deepest pockets. As a society we've become absurdly sue-happy.

"**** you, pay me."
Do we really HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENING??? Why don't you tell that to the parents of the children in Newtown CT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Agreed. And good for the theater for counter suing. Disgusting how these events happen and all the families can think about is profiting off of it.

It simply isn't economical to walk through a weapons detector and be patted down everywhere, Walmart, church, county fair, etc. Some events are just acts of God.

Countersue and win.

I guess if we HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENING, we'll just have to accept metal detectors at movie theaters, grocery stores, and wherever the NEXT mass shooting happens to be.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:41 PM

477 posts, read 276,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Do we really HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENING??? Why don't you tell that to the parents of the children in Newtown CT?
Why should Blue biker tell that to those parents? Blue Biker didn't kill their children. Adam Lanza did. What, because he's dead, SOMEONE ELSE has to be responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I guess if we HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS SORT OF THING HAPPENING, we'll just have to accept metal detectors at movie theaters, grocery stores, and wherever the NEXT mass shooting happens to be.
Accepting that something cannot be stopped is not the same as endorsing the act. Yes, pertinent security measures are fine, we've all gotten used to the TSA requirements at airports haven't we?

Look, I remember when I had the attitude of "NEVER AGAIN!" It was right after 9/11, and I thought we as a nation needed to do whatever it took to make sure an attack on our soil never happened again. Look at what we did as a result.

What kind of "Pre-Crime" system would you like that would satisfy you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events