Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I've always loved DST. It just adds to the excitement of the holiday season for me. It's freaking cold out so if I'm going to be indoors, I don't want bright sunlight most of the day. I like the coziness of early nighttimes especially around Thanksgiving when the family is together.

Now if cold weather becomes a thing of past cuz of climate change, that will really suck.
But that's normal time, we "spring ahead" and actually change the time in spring. So if we were to stop DST, it would still be dark early in the winter and it would be dark an hour earlier in the spring and summer, because we would never change the clocks ahead in March.

It's "daylight saving" time. We're saving daylight. More light in the evening.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I agree 100% but I think the Gov can fine you if you don't comply

They know if I don't set my wristwatch back?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Start school 30 - 60 minutes later.
That's what I said. As it is, they have too much time for what they do, sending people to "study hall" to kill time. Here is another idea. Move the clocks back an hour in the morning then move it forward again at noon so we can get back home when there is still light.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Here is another idea. Move the clocks back an hour in the morning then move it forward again at noon so we can get back home when there is still light.
Because change the clocks twice a year is apparently so hard, we should instead do it twice a day?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I see no valid reason to continue with daylight savings time. Here in Boston, now that the clocks were set back an hour, it will depressingly be dark before 5PM. The # of hours of daylight doesn't change, and I think it would be much less depressing to have the sun rise a little later in the AM then setting earlier in the PM. By afternoon I'm still up and ready to go, and losing 1 hour of light during my active time sucks. But in the morning I just don't notice that extra hour of light as anything meaningful.

So what you want is an end to DST. That means you will have it get darker an hour earlier all year long. If you want more daylight at the end the day, I would think you'd want daylight savings time to be permanent.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So what you want is an end to DST. That means you will have it get darker an hour earlier all year long. If you want more daylight at the end the day, I would think you'd want daylight savings time to be permanent.
Once I learned of my stupidity about DST, yes, I would prefer DST time sticks here in the Boston area.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 11-07-2016 at 07:30 PM..

Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
No I did not. And as has been mentioned, I too have been reading about a movement to start school later due to sleep and other such concerns, which would solve the DST effect. I think it's nuts seeing kids being picked up at 6:30AM.
When our school system had proposed making schools later (and they may have since I retired), parents were up in arms about needing to drop kids off before the parent work time began, and about having kids leaving school too close to afternoon rush hour.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:42 PM

484 posts, read 467,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Being on the far western extent of EST I have an extreme disdain of DST in general. So, I would like to see it go away. At such a low latitude here, 38N, sunrise times with DST in place are after 8 AM which is ridiculous. I'm used to northern latitude areas with more pronounced seasonal changes in daylight- DST just shifts things around..
One state east of you and totally agree. I don't like the sun rising after 8 a.m., nor do I particularly like that total darkness for a few days surrounding the summer solstice doesn't set in until after 10 p.m. Too late for me, and I can imagine I wouldn't like being as far west as Terre Haute with sunlight potentially being present until 10:30 or later.
If it was up to me, DST would be gone. 8:30 p.m. sunsets during the summer are perfectly reasonable.
I am in the minority that does not mind the 5-5:30 sunsets from November to January. I'd rather have it be light earlier in the day.
I will say the first time I was in Chicago during the winter, the early sunsets (4:30 or so) really screwed with me. Being a near-lifelong Ohioan, I wasn't quite ready to be in total darkness at 4:45 p.m.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I too can't stand daylight saving time, why even that name??it doesn't save anything at all
it irritates me having a sunset so early, it makes me feel like I'm late and I'm still working while I should have dinner already
Daylight savings time makes sunset later, not earlier.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Last year, we had a representative introduce a bill to stay on standard time. Finally a Vann County representative (can't remember his name) listened to the public and tried to stop the madness. What happened? Oh things looked pretty favorable for awhile. Then some genius (I'm being sarcastic) pointed out that he wouldn't be home from church in time for the NFL Sunday kickoffs because they would then be at 11 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. That promptly ended the debate, the bill lost by about 12 to 15 votes.
"madness"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events