Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:07 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But that's what stores do now, give a discount for bringing your own bag. If a 5-10 cent discount is going to cut into a store's profit, then they need better profit margin.

And yeah, if you have time to waste, you can start buying one item per trip to the store and save 5-10 cents an item. But most people's time is worth more to them, so it doesn't happen. Most people understand its a nice incentive that the stores don't have to offer, so they don't abuse the system. But if I'm just going to Target to pick up one item anyway, then I use my bag and get 5 cents off that one item.
Store's profit margins aren't as great as you think they are, if you think 10 cents per item would be no big deal. It kind of depends on what someone is buying right?? Theres going to be more profit on most $20 items then something that costs fifty cents. There are times, when stores already lose money on items they sell, (because they get discounts and deals from the wholesalers to help get rid of them, and also so they have great deals they can advertise to get you in the door). Whats the cheapest item in a store? Probably (in some), candy that costs a few pennies. Why can't a kid do it? They would have the time to save money.

There's no need for you to point out the obvious, or try to justify someone else's ignorant response just to start a debate with me.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i had reusable but they still put them in plastic and then into the reusable

Old 11-15-2016, 10:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Store's profit margins aren't as great as you think they are, if you think 10 cents per item would be no big deal.
Except it is not a 10 cent savings per item. For some stores its a flat 5-10 cents savings off your total bill, while others do it per bag. So if you get a lot of items, then yes it can start to add up. But even using 10 bags and saving 50 cents off your total purchase of probably $200+ isn't that big of a dent in the stores profit margins. And if it was, then stores wouldn't be offering that sort of discount.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:40 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Except it is not a 10 cent savings per item. For some stores its a flat 5-10 cents savings off your total bill, while others do it per bag. So if you get a lot of items, then yes it can start to add up. But even using 10 bags and saving 50 cents off your total purchase of probably $200+ isn't that big of a dent in the stores profit margins. And if it was, then stores wouldn't be offering that sort of discount.
Did you even bother reading what you quoted? Or are you still just looking for a reason to bicker? It would be if they bought each item one at a time right??

Here it is again.. THE ENTIRE QUOTE.

Quote:
Store's profit margins aren't as great as you think they are, if you think 10 cents per item would be no big deal. It kind of depends on what someone is buying right?? Theres going to be more profit on most $20 items then something that costs fifty cents. There are times, when stores already lose money on items they sell, (because they get discounts and deals from the wholesalers to help get rid of them, and also so they have great deals they can advertise to get you in the door). Whats the cheapest item in a store? Probably (in some), candy that costs a few pennies. Why can't a kid do it? They would have the time to save money.

There's no need for you to point out the obvious, or try to justify someone else's ignorant response just to start a debate with me.
you even agreed with it here..

Quote:
And yeah, if you have time to waste, you can start buying one item per trip to the store and save 5-10 cents an item. But most people's time is worth more to them, so it doesn't happen. Most people understand its a nice incentive that the stores don't have to offer, so they don't abuse the system. But if I'm just going to Target to pick up one item anyway, then I use my bag and get 5 cents off that one item.

Quote:
So what do they do if someone buys something really small and cheap, like a candy bar or a pack of gum??? Are you then going to expect the store to cut into profits. What reason would people (who have the time to do it,) not just buy all there purchases individually? Would you then give them a discount for every single item purchased?
:
?? Are you really going to keep trying to debate other peoples' comments with me, but then twist it without following the discussion?

Old 11-15-2016, 11:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
It pretty much is a California thing. I need to use more of these bags myself. I really like them. The only issue is remembering to bring and/or use them at the stores... Plus some stores (in particularly malls) it is harder to use them due to the fact the other stores may think you are stealing...

Old 11-16-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
It would be if they bought each item one at a time right??
I don't even get what point you are trying to make. Plenty of stores offer a credit if customers bring in their own bag. Obviously they aren't losing money by doing so, otherwise they wouldn't be doing so. People are not wasting their time going to the store 50+ times a week to get their weekly grocery shopping done just to save 5 cents per item. No one has that sort of time, and it just wouldn't be worth it. Whatever you save per item is lost in transportation costs.
Each time a guest buys something at our stores, we offer a 5-cent discount for each reusable bag they use. So far, our guests have used more than 190 million reusable bags instead of paper or plastic. We encourage guests to make reusable bags a regular part of their shopping routine by offering a broad and ever-changing assortment of bags that fit different lifestyles and needs.
https://corporate.target.com/corpora...nable-products

Did you know Whole Foods Market gives 10 cents per bag to customers who re-use their own shopping bags for their purchased groceries? This program reduces our impact on the environment and now supports local non-profit groups. Customers will have the choice to accept their cash refund, donate the cash back to the store’s chosen non-profit organization or to the Whole Planet Foundation.
Donations | Whole Foods Market

Old 11-16-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It pretty much is a California thing. I need to use more of these bags myself. I really like them. The only issue is remembering to bring and/or use them at the stores... Plus some stores (in particularly malls) it is harder to use them due to the fact the other stores may think you are stealing...
Its actually not just a California thing. Countries all over the world, on every continent (except Antarctica obviously), have bans on plastic bags. Hopefully it will eventually be more wide spread, as more people realize the harm these bags do to our environment.

I've never had a problem with stores thinking I'm stealing. Even stores in the mall sell reusable bags and encourage it.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Skies View Post
Yup, been living with this ban for years. It just takes a little getting used to, not forgetting the bags. The reusable bags hold more and are sturdier, though.

On another note, I work in retail, and we ran out of our own sturdy plastic bags, and this lady just kept repeating, "No bag? Really?" Yes, really lady. Sorry
Heh... at the supermarket, they ran out of 10 cent paper bags and only had 15 cent plastic ones. I had a cloth (nylon?) bag in my car, so I may as well just do that. I use it primarily to transport food and other loose items to and from work, but in this case, it was empty enough . Even though I would barely be able to carry everything to the car, the cashier was considerate enough to get me a cart so I could wheel it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events