Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:09 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

This is the first year my children have rode a bus to and from school as we moved this past summer. It terrified me to put them on a school bus but it was the best situation for our family. Their bus driver is the best! She is a mature woman that takes her job very seriously! Not to mention so does the school district. If I ever felt my kids were not safe I would pull them from riding the bus. I do know that our school district uses a bus company that does very strict background checks and the drivers cannot have ANY moving violations, accident, etc. They must stick to their route and if the bus is running late we are notified with a phone call from the school district. IMHO, all bus drivers should meet VERY strict guidelines in order to drive a bus full of children. Any violations, at-fault accidents, etc. should lead to disqualification of employment and immediate termination if already employed. This is a very serious matter and schools need to treat it as such. So incredibly sad for the families of those children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 07:41 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Good greif, OP, that intro post was the biggest piece of crap I've read in a long time. A thriving economy is to blame? Soccer moms shouldn't be scared of a bus driver who drives recklessly?

Old 11-24-2016, 08:09 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

Nor am I going to try to blame Amazon exclusively; .
So it's Amazon's fault? At least partly?

Where do these notions come from?

I wouldn't hire a guy that looked like Johnothoney (?) to walk my dog. I certainly wouldn't trust him with children.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:20 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We know that the driver presents a picture that would scare the daylights out of the typical suburban Soccer Mom...

Considering the names of those involved, I'm pretty sure no 'typical suburban Soccer Moms' are among the grieving parents.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:29 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Good grief, OP, that intro post was the biggest piece of crap I've read in a long time. A thriving economy is to blame? Soccer moms shouldn't be scared of a bus driver who drives recklessly?
The past 24 years, under both parties, BTW have seen a continuous campaign to over-centralize and over-bureaucratize our educational system, and that, with no intention to assign "blame", can be traced in part to the intensification of the emancipation of women which accelerated in the 1970's. The NEA and other advocacies, which had some very valid arguments given the low pay for teachers at the time, took the lead in restructuring the entire educational system. But there were both winners and losers, and both can be found at either end of our polarized society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I cited Amazon (where I myself worked for three years, BTW) because it presents a truer picture of working conditions in our emerging post-industrial economy; nothing more and nothing less. Some people already seem to have forgotten that Johnthony Walker is himself a parent.

My principal point here is that safety valves get tied down, and the educational Establishment has every incentive to convince its still-largely-captive clientele that they can still "have it all". What happened in Chattanooga this week was another relatively small, but very bitter example of the fallout -- in the same manner that industrial accidents still kill hundreds of American workers every year, but are not as noticeable, because they are not only less common, but more widely and evenly dispersed.

And again, without sinking to partisanship, both the issues raised within, and the results of this years election serve to demonstrate that a lot of people are not enthused with the current arrangement -- witness the growth of alternative and charter schools -- plus home-schooling.

We need to reform our bloated educational system by reducing, rather than intensifying the concentration of power, the mandating of not-always-realistic standards, and most of all by breaking the NEA's apparent desire to exploit its influence on young minds, (occasionally with a little pharmaceutical "help" -- almost always imposed on boys), particularly in less-affluent areas, for political reasons.

That is the elephant in the room, and it left a particularly nasty "calling card" earlier this week in Chattanooga.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-24-2016 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

I wouldn't hire a guy that looked like Johnothoney (?) to walk my dog. I certainly wouldn't trust him with children.
Why in the world do you care what someone looks like if that person is qualified to do the job?

Regarding the other comments, I don't care if he had 3 jobs. The man never should have been driving a school bus if he had an unstable driving record. The bus company also needs to be investigated.

Last edited by justNancy; 11-24-2016 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 09:56 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Hmm... that speaks volumes. Why in the world do you care what someone looks like if that person is qualified to do the job?

Regarding the other comments, I don't care if he had 3 jobs. The man never should have been driving a school bus if he has an erratic driving record. His employer also needs to be investigated.
Grooming matters. He chooses to look the way he looks. It matters.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Hmm... that speaks volumes. Why in the world do you care what someone looks like if that person is qualified to do the job?

Because in this case the person goes out of his way to look "different". It means to me his values are probably different too. Why put him in charge of children?

Old 11-24-2016, 10:10 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Why in the world do you care what someone looks like if that person is qualified to do the job?

Regarding the other comments, I don't care if he had 3 jobs. The man never should have been driving a school bus if he had an unstable driving record. The bus company also needs to be investigated.

I think the bus company is partly to blame hiring an individual who had an unfavorable driving record.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:11 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I think the bus company is partly to blame hiring an individual who had an adverse driving record.
That and the fact that he was just in an accident earlier in the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events