Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 12:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Black kids don't play soccer?

Black moms don't stay home?

Black moms don't drive vans?

Black families don't live in the suburbs?

Those among them who are "typical suburban soccer moms", pick the exact same names chosen by "typical suburban soccer moms" of other colors.

A "typical suburban soccer mom" is UPPER MIDDLE CLASS, with a higher-than-average IQ, and a better family background, than a "typical League Football Mom", or a "typical Little League Baseball Mom". Soccer, in America, has traditionally been for people who are a cut above other Americans. They've tended to be the brainy types, with advanced degrees and advanced skill sets - members of the MERITOCRACY. Color has very little to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 12:17 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Your thoughts lead me to believe your values are skewed and sheltered.
My values point me toward putting children first.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
That would depend on where you live.
No, I'm pretty sure there are black families with minivans, kids who play soccer and live in the suburbs all over this country.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:39 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Yet we trust 18 year olds to go into war.

I should have known somebody who mention that. Just because 18 year olds are capable of fighting in a war does not mean 24 year olds are as experienced as older people when it comes to driving a school bus.

There are plenty of 18 year olds in the military that make mistakes that would look back 10 years later and realize they now know how to not make that mistake.

The more experienced of a driver you are the better at being a defensive driver you are. Sometimes the only time you gain that experience is when you actually avoid an accident or even get in an accident. Most people who drive at a young age have no clue to how powerful a vehicle is & how hard it is to stop when that vehicle is above certain speeds.

The same people that thought this young adult that was capable of driving a school bus full of kids can now live with their decision knowing 6 kids are dead.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not the way the guy looks. The picture painted in the press of a very young man juggling a heavy workload who may have been affected by too many demands on his time. A young man with a driving record that doesn't paint him as conscientious about his driving habits. A young man who was recklessly speeding with a bus full of youngsters. And IF the reports of some of the students are believed a young man who MAY have sometimes been drinking while driving the bus. THAT is the picture being presented and it is scary that someone like that was given a job as a bus driver.
One would think that the bus company would have policies in place to suspend drivers who demonstrate irresponsible driving, or to weed them out in the hiring process.

As a parent I would certainly not be comfortable KNOWING such a person was driving my children on a bus, neither would most concerned parents (aka 'soccer moms')
The initial report I heard after the accident stated there was no evidence the driver had no drugs or alcohol in his system.

I am not defending him at all. This man was responsible for the lives of little kids and he failed to protect them by behaving recklessly. I'm wondering if the bus company even bothered to do a background check. We don't know if he really told the children to prepare to die, as one child claims, but that indicates he might have a mental illness. One mother said her children complained about the driver's strange behavior before the incident.

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/US/warning-signs-chattanooga-school-bus-driver-weeks-months/story?id=43738754]Warning Signs About Chattanooga School Bus Driver Weeks, Months Before Fatal Crash - ABC News[/url]

"I’ve been calling the school since the first day," Mateen told ABC affiliate WTVC in Chattanooga. "Nobody’s returning my call."

Old 11-25-2016, 12:47 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

"I’ve been calling the school since the first day," Mateen told ABC affiliate WTVC in Chattanooga. "Nobody’s returning my call."
Quite frankly, I don't believe her.

But even if she is telling the truth, she kept putting her kid on the bus.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:52 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
You don't believe her? I wonder why.

Quote:
That's like saying "She was concerned about a coworker, but she still went to work every day." Some people don't have a choice.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:02 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:

Many parents, including myself, don't have any other choice if we want our children to get to school and if we want to keep our jobs.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:16 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The initial report I heard after the accident stated there was no evidence the driver had no drugs or alcohol in his system.
No, not at the time of the accident (although I would think a comprehensive drug test would take a while to come back with results) but in one of the articles it is reported that one of the kids said something like the guy had 'sometimes been drinking while driving the bus, since the first day on the job'. That's why i say I say IF and MAY, I never take those types of things as gospel. I'd link but I don't remember which article i read it in.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:19 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Many parents, including myself, don't have any other choice if we want our children to get to school and if we want to keep our jobs.
Exactly! And the further one strays from the suburban idyll depicted by Madison Avenue, the more limited and grittier the options faced by both the parents and the bus contractor. Eventually, somebody starts scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events