Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've spoken to the Postmaster at least three times, and I still regularly get the neighbors mail. Service isn't what it used to be.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
If their was complaints prior to the accident I understand. I wasn't looking at it that way. I was looking at it from the fact that the accident happened and then you hear children coming out saying stuff (After the tragedy). If their were complaints prior to that terrible day it's totally different scenario.
Well that is the scenario. There was ANOTHER complaint from a parent to the principal about this driver 10 days before this happened.

Children were killed, and the surviving kids will relive this incident in their minds for the rest of their lives, and you make it sound like the kids are the bad ones.

It wasn't the first one as I said earlier. Parents did complain.

If you're going to comment at least watch the news or go online about this incident, you keep blaming the kids making up stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 11:51 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,640,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I agree.

Well that is the scenario. There was ANOTHER complaint from a parent to the principal about this driver 10 days before this happened.

Children were killed, and the surviving kids will relive this incident in their minds for the rest of their lives, and you make it sound like the kids are the bad ones.

It wasn't the first one as I said earlier. Parents did complain.

If you're going to comment at least watch the news or go online about this incident, you keep blaming the kids making up stories.
Whoa whoa whoa. Lets slow down for a second. I never blamed the kids so please don't put words down that I DID NOT say. I even responded to your comment & said if that is the case then I feel completely different about the scenario.

First off I have read up on this the problem is half the time you don't get accurate information online. I heard stories where kids were literally saying he wanted to kill them. Should I believe that because I read it online?

I made the comment once, maybe twice about how you have to be careful when you listen to what kids say. If you did some research you might find that their have been plenty of examples of kids saying something happened only to find it it was false. A lot of children are hurt but thankfully alive. Unfortunately they probably will need a lot of medical treatment for future years for spinal injuries. It's not uncommon to see kids spoon fed stuff by their parents to make things seem worse than they were. This is obviously going to go to court with many law suits & the more damaging that this looks the better for the children.

THAT is why I brought up a simple suggestion that you should be careful in believing anything a child says.

I'm not trying to make up excuses for the driver at all. But I'm also not going to turn this into a witch hunt because people want to think emotionally right instead of seeking the truth. Maybe the truth is that he had complaints. Then he'll get what he deserved or at least the company he worked for will. But at no point did I ever try and make it look like the kids are to blame so please try and think before you post.

Last edited by Statz2k10; 11-28-2016 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
Agree, a big lawsuit where the taxpayers have to foot the bill will demand some changes.

Why should the taxpayers have to foot the bill?

Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,183,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Why should the taxpayers have to foot the bill?
The School District no doubt will get sued. The bus contractor should have liability insurance but I doubt high enough coverage to cover this.The tax payers will also have to provide room and board for the driver while he is incarcerated.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,245,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Lets slow down for a second. I never blamed the kids so please don't put words down that I DID NOT say. I even responded to your comment & said if that is the case then I feel completely different about the scenario.

First off I have read up on this the problem is half the time you don't get accurate information online. I heard stories where kids were literally saying he wanted to kill them. Should I believe that because I read it online?

I made the comment once, maybe twice about how you have to be careful when you listen to what kids say. If you did some research you might find that their have been plenty of examples of kids saying something happened only to find it it was false. A lot of children are hurt but thankfully alive. Unfortunately they probably will need a lot of medical treatment for future years for spinal injuries. It's not uncommon to see kids spoon fed stuff by their parents to make things seem worse than they were. This is obviously going to go to court with many law suits & the more damaging that this looks the better for the children.

THAT is why I brought up a simple suggestion that you should be careful in believing anything a child says.

I'm not trying to make up excuses for the driver at all. But I'm also not going to turn this into a witch hunt because people want to think emotionally right instead of seeking the truth. Maybe the truth is that he had complaints. Then he'll get what he deserved or at least the company he worked for will. But at no point did I ever try and make it look like the kids are to blame so please try and think before you post.
I read your posts the same way as seain did for what it is worth. I won't go so far as to say you sounded like you were blaming the kids but you certainly gave the impression that you were siding with the driver and offering "kids lie" as an excuse. If you had read the article you would have seen that there had been a number of complaints about this driver prior to the accident. So it is you who should be thinking (and reading) before you post.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
The School District no doubt will get sued. The bus contractor should have liability insurance but I doubt high enough coverage to cover this.
I don't see why the school district should get sued, they didn't hire the guy. The bussing company, Durham School Services, is the one who should be sued.

Quote:
The tax payers will also have to provide room and board for the driver while he is incarcerated.
Would you rather he go free, and not face any jail time for the deaths of those children?

Old 11-28-2016, 12:34 PM

35,916 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
And it needs to be recognized by everyone in this thread that operating a school bus is usually an unwanted job; the hours involve an early start (pushed further ahead in many districts because parents and teachers want an early start, but students have no say in this) and a break in the middle of the day which makes outside employment either impossible, or sleep patterns very stressful. Walker should have known better than to try to juggle two jobs, but his upbringing in what appears to be a single-parent female-headed household may have left some gaps which might have been better-filled by the presence of a stable father figure.
That's a big assumption on your part. There isn't a shortage of people who would like a bus driver job. Some for the exact reasons you stated. Believe it or not many people like an early morning start and a break during the day. As well the hours may easily allow a person a second job. I've known a few who can finish morning route before a second job starts and pick up afternoon route after the second job. I also know several that hold a bus driver job in addition to another job. Its not a stretch for people to hold down two jobs. I'm really not getting where your insinuation that this man grew up in a single parent (mother) home has any bearing on this at all.

Quote:
Too many of the "drive-by" critics have had little or no experience in dealing with an occupational field such as transportation, where working hours different from the customary 9-to-5 are the rule, or where one small mistake can undo a lot of correct decisions.
I've worked "front-line" positions in the operating departments of both highway and rail carriers -- an uncommon combination. The first two years were at the "trouble desk" (answering the outside phone lines) for a major trucking line. One fall morning at around 6 AM, I took a call from a driver -- a veteran only a couple of years from retirement -- who had the misfortune to encounter a fog bank within a short distance, and to rear-end a stopped compact car, killing its two teenaged occupants. It's that easy for someone's life to self-destruct.
Really? A multitude of people work odd shifts as well have jobs where a mistake could cost a life. Again not getting your point here. In this case it appears there was previous incidents of speeding by this particular driver, complaints and as well the company has had significant accidents in the past two years. Of course sometimes things happen that are out of our control but it looks like this driver was reckless or incompetent and his other job or family history is no excuse.

Quote:
The point I seek to make here is that there is no absolute security on this side of the cemetery. Progress is made, but at a slow pace, and with some occasional backtracking -- sometimes with a human toll. And too often, those appearing to lead the charge have their own agenda, or are looking for a scapegoat.
Yes and the bottom line is $$$. School districts are trying to save a buck by outsourcing its bus driver positions. In doing so it they have little to no control over who is driving our children.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You don't believe her? I wonder why.

That's like saying "She was concerned about a coworker, but she still went to work every day." Some people don't have a choice.
If the mother had complained repeatedly to the school, why would she allow her child to ride the bus?

She should have kept her child home if she had no other way to get him to school. When the school called to find out why her child was missing school she could have said that she wouldn't let him ride on an unsafe bus. Then it would have brought attention to the issue.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:39 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,183,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't see why the school district should get sued, they didn't hire the guy. The bussing company, Durham School Services, is the one who should be sued.
I believe the suit will be against both the contractor and the district.

Would you rather he go free, and not face any jail time for the deaths of those children?
Cerainly not. I was just saying this was one more expense for the tax payers.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:53 PM

35,916 posts, read 30,469,451 times
Quote:
Actually parents had complained about his driving prior to this.

Exactly, I think if this was in another part of the country some action would have been taken. I lived in the south for a few years and it's very reactive vs. proactive on many issues. For example many people have to get killed before a traffic light would be put in.

It was mind numbing.

Agree, a big lawsuit where the taxpayers have to foot the bill will demand some changes.
In a situation where the bus drivers/transportation is outsourced to a private company what is the procedure for the individual school or district when they have complaints against a bus driver?
How is it handled in other parts of the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events