Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:06 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Wow, one lucky person indeed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/winning-n...043959727.html

Quote:
A lottery ticket sold in Tennessee had the winning numbers for a $421 million Powerball jackpot, one of the biggest on record, officials said after Saturday's draw.

The prize is paid out over 30 years, with the option of a lump sum payment, which officials said would add up to about $254.7 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 08:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
It cracks me up that people come out of the woodwork to buy tickets when the pot gets really big.

Why?

Because $50 million or $100 million just isn't worth it, but $421 million is? What are you going to be able to buy with the latter that you couldn't buy with the former? Nothing. And the fact that more people play when the pot gets bigger means that you're more likely to have to split that big pot with other winners, anyway.

Good Lord. If I played the lottery (I don't - the only ticket I've ever bought was a $1 scratch-off that I damaged while working at a convenience store decades ago, and was required to buy it - I did, and I won my $1 back), I'd probably just play when the pot is low so as to avoid the crush of people who think that their life would be so, so much better if they could afford 20 mansions instead of just 5, and 5 Gulfstreams instead of a mere 1 or 2.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:59 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
It cracks me up when people want to decide how others should spend their money.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:11 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't play because I think it is a waste of money. However, just as an observation, nobody ever wins until the pot is enormous. Wins should be random, meaning a few lower value pots should be won and they never are, which makes me suspect that the game is fixed in some fashion to allow the pot to become enormous, which is what brings the gamblers out in force. So, I suppose if I played, I would play when there was a chance that someone would win the lottery and not play when there was no chance of anybody winning the lottery.

Odds of it being me who wins are too astronomical to waste my $2 on.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:42 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't play because I think it is a waste of money. However, just as an observation, nobody ever wins until the pot is enormous. Wins should be random, meaning a few lower value pots should be won and they never are, which makes me suspect that the game is fixed in some fashion to allow the pot to become enormous, which is what brings the gamblers out in force. So, I suppose if I played, I would play when there was a chance that someone would win the lottery and not play when there was no chance of anybody winning the lottery.

Not true at all. The small wins don't make the news.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:18 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
It happens every day and every week. I buy a ticket once in a while when the jackpot is low. I want to win $264 thousand. After I'm raped for taxes, I'd still have more than half of it. I can do something with that.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It cracks me up that people come out of the woodwork to buy tickets when the pot gets really big.

Why?

Because $50 million or $100 million just isn't worth it, but $421 million is? What are you going to be able to buy with the latter that you couldn't buy with the former? Nothing. And the fact that more people play when the pot gets bigger means that you're more likely to have to split that big pot with other winners, anyway.

Good Lord. If I played the lottery (I don't - the only ticket I've ever bought was a $1 scratch-off that I damaged while working at a convenience store decades ago, and was required to buy it - I did, and I won my $1 back), I'd probably just play when the pot is low so as to avoid the crush of people who think that their life would be so, so much better if they could afford 20 mansions instead of just 5, and 5 Gulfstreams instead of a mere 1 or 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
It cracks me up when people want to decide how others should spend their money.
How you confused my post as 'want[ing] to decide how others spend their money' is beyond me. Maybe you could try reading it again.

At any rate, rest assured that I have no problem with the voluntary taxation also known as buying lottery tickets. Please keep pouring your money into state coffers so that I, as a citizen, can enjoy the fruits of your labors!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Congratulations on your big win, if you feel the Christmas spirit, $1000 would solve a lot of problem. Thanks,, you would never miss it...

Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The PB and MM lotteries have ridiculous odds (1 in 250+ million), so the chances of the number hitting are much rarer than the lower paying lotto's of 30 years ago where the odds were 1 in 1 or 2 million. My Uncle's dad won a lotto in MD 30 years ago where 4 or 5 tickets split the grand prize of $1M. A lot of money at the time, but I think the lottery companies have figured out that larger pots equals more revenue and more profit.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1
To be frank,I dont know IF ANY WINNINGS are real!!

Does anyone know ANYONE personally who has won BIG?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events